IC 2014 talk: "A Century of Kingdom Rule Contrasted With a Century of Satan’s Rule"

by AnnOMaly 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Technological accomplishments. Photodrama of Creation; jw.org, "and the list goes on." All to promote spiritual food, the Truth.

Ironically, the technological advances WT use to the full, developed by Satan's world, are the same ones it just got done condemning.

Satan's Rule: Keeps advancing forward, steadily improving human life

Jesus' Rule: hasn't done a damn thing for anybody for over 2,000 years

• steve2
    steve2

Well, my honeys, he is preaching to the converted. It is not like he is addressing the Supreme Court or the United Nations where his audience would be agog with astonishment at the superificiality of the comparisons.

BTW, huge advances have been made in human rights legislation in the past several decades and the capacity of food production to feed burgeoning populations - to name two accomplishments not attributable to the organization.

• fredPotato
    fredPotato

most biased speech ever

• bennyk
    bennyk

"All of this points to one amazing fact. Over the past 100 years, Jesus Christ has successfully established - or should we say - reestablished on earth true Christianity."

Why should true Christianity require 'reestablishing'? The Watch Tower Society assured me for decades that the "true" Christian Congregation remained faithful and unsullied since its inception in 33 C.E.

We follow the pattern of 1st century Christianity - keeping the congregation clean by removing wrongdoers; being politically neutral; having no clergy; preaching the good news in the 1st century pattern.

Please. In addition to removing wrongdoers, you also remove those who reject the Watch Tower Society's "false stories" (1. Tim. 4:7); you committed to promoting the United Nations Organisation, claim "clergy-penitent privileges" when hauled into secular courts, and preach (by your own admission) a "good news" other than that preached by the Apostles.

• Laika
    Laika

Thanks Ann. I'd have thought JWs would be better off claiming Jesus' is working to make the world a better place but I guess it doesn't match their apocalyptic inclinations.

I'll take Satan's rule for starters:

Billions of followers (including those following by default rather than choice).

Assumingly the default followers will also die at Armageddon?

Satan's world is 'wiser' (Lk. 16:8) and far more sophisticated scientifically and technologically. But many so-called improvements are superficial, a veneer covering the rottenness underneath.

Could they provide any examples? Do JWs reject the 'many so-called improvements' that just cover 'rottenness underneath' or do they also benefit from these improvements?

Improvements in health and nutrition ; some common ailments of the past now eradicated. "But does that mean man has finally found a cure for illness and sickness in general? No." - numerous health disorders today that were unheard of 100 years ago with no cure. "Is that progress?"

I like the way they ask this question 'Is that progress?' As if 'no' is supposed to be the obvious answer. Of course it's progress! Is the progress we've made eradicating leprosy, for example, meaningless to a ruler who was said to be moved with pity when he came across people with leprosy? Besides which, where are all these new health disorders coming from anyway?

Abortion far safer now but "no abortion is safe for an unborn child" - 44 million abortions globally in a recent year. Progress?

Yes. Unless you think women's lives (including many current mothers) are less important than the lives of fetuses.

Success and accomplishments in field of malnutrition and hunger - eliminated in many parts of the world. "But have they eradicated malnutrition? No. ... Is the world getting better?"

Yes, the world is getting better, somebody didn't do their research, malnutrition and hunger are on the decline.

Spiritual health. "Has the world drawn closer to Jehovah over the last 100 years? Yes, people live longer today, but what is the point of having a longer lifespan and better health when, in most cases, people use those extra years and that extra energy to draw away from God and from our Creator? People use the extra health to offend God with their conduct. So, 100 years ago, people may have lived 40, 50, 60 years; now they can reach to their 80s and 90s and now they have 20, 30 or 40 years more to offend Jehovah, to engage in conduct that makes him sad. Is that progress?"

Surely this should be seen as more time to convert! And where does grace (undeserved kindness) come into this? Is Jehovah an angry god who gets increasingly offended at your constant bad deeds or is he more like the prodigal's father, longing to embrace you no matter how long you've been away from home? I think I could guess which version this JW believes in.

Most people spiritually starving (Isa. 65:13 - 'my own servants will eat while you go hungry' etc.) and Bible-illiterate. "What is the advantage of having plenty to eat when you don't even know the most elementary things about the Creator and his purposes?

Because JWs know the elementary things about the Creator and his purposes. JWs are so 'bible-literate' that they don't even realise the Creator's purposes, as understood by them, doesn't even exist in the bible.

And more bibles are in circulation and in more languages then ever before.

Advances in technology. Some point to it as proof of things getting better in the world, but is it a good way to measure progress? Technology is used in warfare to kill and maim; used for entertainment that offends Jehovah, e.g. games, videos, websites featuring graphic sexual immorality, gruesome violence. "Technology is not a good way to measure progress in this world. The world is not getting better."

If only our technology was advanced enough to create a time machine. Then we could send this brother back into the 1800s for a real experiment on whether the world was better or not!

Changes in civil rights, racial equality. Now people are more accepting, more open-minded, more tolerant. Some changes are for the better BUT "adultery - accepted; pre-marital sex - widely accepted." "Today, homosexual behavior is widely accepted. It seems that the goal is, someday, to make homosexuality widely obligatory." (Isa 5:20,21 - 'woe to those saying good is bad, bad is good' etc.)

Only an old white man could see the acceptance of homosexuality as an evil equal to the good of racial equality. This is a very American-centric view as well, many Western nations (and some others) are secularising and as such have developed a more liberal view of sexual ethics, but conservative christendom is making inroads in many countries in a way that JWs would consider closer to 'Jehovah's standards'

Satan has plunged the world into darkness, enmity with God. "Satan's world has gone from bad to worse."

You thought the dark ages were bad, just wait till you see the 21st Century!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

When you lay it all out side-by-side like that it's so clear. I better be getting myself back to the Kingdom Hall before it's too late!

OK, seriously folks: how could they really compare the Photodrama of Creation and jw.org with the Technological accomplishments of "Satan's World" and even pretend to be out on top?!?

So they have a website, big-fucking-wup!

These guys running this show are really delusional. But what's crazier is that anyone in the audience believes it!!!

Mind-control is a scary thing.

• cantleave
    cantleave

How many people would have had a "WTF?" moment during that talk?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I swear, scientists could proclaim that they've cured every type of cancer known to man and the WT would trump that with something like "We had 3,000 hits on our website in one day!"

Narcissists.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

OK, seriously folks: how could they really compare the Photodrama of Creation and jw.org with the Technological accomplishments of "Satan's World" and even pretend to be out on top?!?

I was thinking the same. Seriously? You are going to compare decades of tech advacements with a photodrama? What is he smoking

• steve2
    steve2

A religion that champions blind obedience to its authority over human rights is never ever going to acknowledge that the past 100 years has been characterized by monumental improvements in human rights legislation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit