IC 2014 talk: "A Century of Kingdom Rule Contrasted With a Century of Satan’s Rule"

by AnnOMaly 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, I remember this talk well. So, basically, the take-away is that science will need to fix ALL THE PROBLEMS before the Witnesses will become unable to say that the world is getting worse.

"Yes, friends, it's true that cancer, world hunger, and all diseases mental and physical have been cured, but is that really progress? Friends, look at this hangnail I got today!"

• Terry
    Terry

They are celebrating THE REPUDIATION of their own message!

What message?

1914 was advertised as the END not the beginning of the end.

So, the Watch Tower is celebrating 100 years of being DEAD WRONG about Armageddon.

The rest is simply spin.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Apognophos - Yes. Exactly! LOL.

• Focus
    Focus

Terry exhibits the rare combination of accuracy and pithy brevity.

Praise from me is rare.

As you doubtless know, there are many, many distinct examples in WTS history of them making a prediction or assertion, and after its complete refutation or failure (almost enough to make one believe there is a God, lol - randomness seems hard, Chi-squaredly speaking, to explain the WTS's fail percentage; aluminum appears to be the only noteworthy exception, but they'd reversed that too) they spin or morph or otherwise misrepresent it into something else, anc claim victory, insight, ""inspiration"" or whatever.

An especially fraudulent and egregious example:

"Millions Now Living Will Never Die" --> "Millions Now Dead Will Live Again"

__

Focus

("Nothing to add, here" Class)

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I originally posted this on scotoma's thread about the new RC release, God's Kingdom Rules, but--in keeping with the OP--it probably fits here better:

JWs use technologies invented by others. Even then, they are generally well behind "the cutting edge" of anything. Remember how many years we were all discouraged from having computers and using the internet? Now they promote JW.ORG like they invented the internet. (Silly!)

The one exception would be the development of the Multilanguage Electronic Publishing System (MEPS) by members of the WTBTS.

In my experience, most JWs do NOT correctly understand what MEPS is and what it isn't. Most seem to think it somehow translates from one language to another. It does not.

The WP article about MEPS says it, "is a system for offset printing in a variety of languages and character sets. The system, completed in 1986, was designed by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. The MEPS program is used for laying out written material in different languages with different character sets. The program was designed based on responses from the organization's own translators about each language."

To be fair, I suppose it is an achievement of some merit. Although I would ask anyone that is considering pointing to this as a "big deal" to consider two things:

1. How do you think the development of MEPS ranks with all the other technological achievements in the last century?
    2. Why do you think no other publishing company developed such a program?

I believe the answer to the first question is fairly obvious: Realistically, it would not rank very high by any objective standard. If you don't agree, then answer this simple question: Which would you rather give up for the rest of your life, MEPS or your iPhone? I thought so.

The answer to the second question is a bit more tricky. JW apologists would be tempted to say something like, "They didn't have Jehovah's Holy Spirit!"

My response would be, "Really? Are you saying that every other technological development was invented, designed and developed without Holy Spirit?" (Careful!)

Anyone that believes that just unwittingly implied that the only piece of "technology" which Holy Spirit inspired was MEPS. Not a very impressive track record. (OK, I know JWs like to say that the codex was a bit o' technology inspired by Holy Spirit, but I'm not buying that as "technology.")

In simple terms, engineering is a three-step process:

1. Define a problem
    2. Design a solution
    3. Optimize it

With that in mind, it becomes obvious that the real reason no other publishing company invented MEPS (or something like it) is that there simply wasn't a sufficient need for them to devote the required resources to develop a solution. It's as simple as that. (Remember, the WTBTS not only had a unique "need" in the printing/publishing industry, but the also have the advantage of unpaid, slave labor).

In fact, MEPS is really just a print layout system that utilizes and incorporates many existing technologies to fill a very specific need which the WTBTS had that no other publishing company had. Again, all those pre-existing technologies which are used by the WTBTS were apparently developed by humans under the influence of Satan's rulership.

It's not like they invented the printing press or the computer or discovered electricity.

So the one example of a "technology" created by JWs/WTBTS under the direction of Holy Spirit is an interesting, but relatively minor, achievement in the historical annals of publishing companies and religious organizations.

And again, that's the best they've been able to do under 100 years of Christ's Invisible Rulership: MEPS.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Ironically, MEPS wouldn't even be necessary had Jehovah™ not confused the languages in the first place.

@ Oubliette:

In simple terms, engineering is a three-step process:

1. Define a problem (in Jehovah's methodology, create a problem)
    2. Design a solution ( this is where Satan and his system steps in and fixes the problem Jehovah™ created)
    3. Optimize it (this is where WT claims to have done steps 1 and 2 all by itself but, in reality, did nothing)
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

ADCMS: Ironically, MEPS wouldn't even be necessary had Jehovah™ not confused the languages in the first place.

That's a great point!

I was thinking about this just yesterday. When you consider MEPS in light of Jehovah's confusing the language at Babel, aren't the WT leaders being disobedient to Jehovah by trying to reunite everyone? Could the WatchTOWER and MEPS be a modern day TOWER of Babel? - Genesis 11:1-6

• BU2B
    BU2B

Its as if the talk actually highlights modern advacement as Satans work?? Everything from the lightbulbs at bethel to the toilets were invented by "Satans World" JWs are the biggest moochers in the world. Plus they are ungreatful. Ill take the century of Satans rule any day, with its internet, air travel, health advancements, the car, etc over MEPS, and a failed preaching effort any day.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

BU2B: Everything from the lightbulbs at bethel to the toilets were invented by "Satans World"

Don't forget those iPads and other tablets everyone is using to promote JW.ORG. Those too were invented by mad scientists from "Satan's world."

It's all so silly.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Everything is proof that we're right (even the stuff that suggests we're wrong)."

I had trouble with this attitude even back when I was still a loyal Dub.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit