Accusing Ex-JWs of Behaving Like JWs Should be Taboo

by cofty 447 Replies latest members private

• Laika
    Laika

If every thread I started on this board was taken as an excuse to lecture me on tone I think I would find this place very irritating.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Fair enough Laika but what Mormon thinking should I stop? Am I 1840 freewheeling make it up as I go oo tasty young ladies thinking , 1860 polygamous lying, 1950 very interested in your sexual behaviour and skin color, or 2014 anti homosexual and in scared defence mode? Discering minds need to know!

I am often guilty of lazy generalisation ( religious thinking = bad) and I'll often dismiss arguments with a group tag. We need to keep each other honest.

• cofty
    cofty

I have been thinking a lot about what we mean by a "JW mindset". I think I take back my suggestion that it doesn't exist but I am certain most people use the phrase lazily to mean whatever personality traits and beliefs they dislike. Thanks to everybody who made a useful contribution and to Talesin and VG for demonstrating my point so well.

I intend to start a new thread shortly to explore this idea further.

Abba - Its all a bit off-topic but since you raised it I will respond to your complaints when I get a minute.

• minimus
    minimus

I think a "JW mindset" may exist with certain people.

I say "typical JW thinking".

Cultists generally have a certain mindset.

• minimus
    minimus

By the way, I was accused, when I first got on this site, as "still an elder", if certain ones disagreed with me. But I do understand that at times, some elders seem to act like authorities.

(not me, of course).

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've been accused of having "apostate thinking" (by hubby), as an outsider having no valuable input to this board, and of thinking like a JW. LOL.

I think my words and actions have pretty well killed those accusations.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Abbasgreta: now and again, topics such as 'Jesus is my Boyfriend' - which contained material designed ONLY to deeply offend Christians, of that I have no doubt, are introduced. That particular thread caused me to stop posting for 6 months I was so sickened by it.

I searched for the thread 'Jesus is my boyfriend' http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/266639/1/Jesus-is-My-Boyfriend-Christianity#.U6MKi8HD-vE

...... and read it through........The plain FACT of the matter is that some deeply religious people will go to extreme lengths to achieve a transcendent experience. 'Jesus is my Boyfriend' is not as disturbing as handling snakes and drinking poison which are practices some Christian's engage. As well as that old standby self-flagellation.

Then there is the Mormon baptism of the dead by proxy (JW's do that too as most of their converts are mentally dead anyway....personal opinion).

In 1964, Jehovah’s Witnesses were prohibited from obtaining transfusions for
    pets and from using fertilizer containing blood and were even encouraged to write
    to dog food manufacturers to verify that their products were blood-free. Moronic and sickening to dog lovers.

Child brides for old Mormons (Polygamists) is definitely sickening.

Welcome back Abbasgreta!

• cofty
    cofty

I think my words and actions have pretty well killed those accusations. - jgnat

Anybody who has been paying attention could not doubt it.

Cultists generally have a certain mindset. - minimus

How about ex-cultist? I would like to explore that further.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I think being called an Elder here........ is short speak for perceiving one to be an authoritarian, overbearing stubborn company man or an opinionated jerk off.

Non of which applies to anyone on this forum.......... Unless a political discussion breaks out.

• Twitch
    Twitch

It seems a prevalent insult of choice for some ex-jw to say "you're still thinking like a jw" inferring that they themselves do not. Ironic that in making this judgement in the first place, one sees themself as "better" in some way and that instead of trying to help the other and/or being the better person, it resorts to name calling and arrogant posturing.

But you'll find opinionated, stubborn people anywhere. Personally, I don't give a proverbial rat's ass about people that judge me for having a different opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit