New to The Jehovahs Witness Faith and need some help

by jnjburkett 171 Replies latest jw friends

• bobert
    bobert

Sorry for not reading the whole thread, but what exactly do the JWs have against the YMCA?

• Giordano
    Giordano

w79 1/1 p31:

"In joing the YMCA as a member a person accepts or endorses the general objectives and principles of the organization. He is not simply paying for something he receives, such as when buying things being sold to the public at a store. (Compare 1 Corinthians 8:10; 10:25). Nor is his membership merely an entry pass, as when a person buys a theatre ticket. Membership means that one has become an integral part of this organization founded with definite religious objectives, including the promotion of interfaith. Hence, for one of Jehovah's Witnesses to become a member of such a so-called "Christian" association would amount to apostasy."

• krejames
    krejames

notice the article is talking about membership of the YMCA as opposed to, say, paying to use its gym.

• Comatose
    Comatose

I knew it. I looked down on a guy who I knew swam there. I think I even tried to casually mention it to an elder. (the cult made me a true borg zombie)

• TJ Curioso
  • rebel8
    rebel8

There are jws who do not know about the Y restriction.

And this lady is STUDYING. Jeez people, calling her names?

OP, please keep asking your questions and don't be discouraged by the way you were treated. Many of us have been terribly abused and manipulated by this religion, and we're bitter. Also, there have been many fakers on this site trying to stir up trouble, so if anyone says something a slightly bit off-center, they tend to get jumped on.

Keep thinking, keep your inquisitiveness. You're on the right track.

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

And there goes another wasted life.. To the op: you'll need every last part of your critical thinking skill. Don't rush anything, just ask and question everything jws tell you. They forced me not to talk to my mother for 3 years when I was still a kid. Because that's their policy. QUESTION EVERYTHING THEY SAY!

• steve2
    steve2

Ulitmately, we are "alone" with ourselves and our decisions. If she is who she says she is, she too will one day be looking in the mirror and asking herself even more questions...the ones that the JWs themselves try to bat away but back they come, unanswered and even more disturbing.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

I wander what made this thread blow up so much.... ? Odd

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I never knew about the YMCA thing till after I left but then there wasn't one near us for it to be an issue that was ever discussed.

I was accused of being a troll once because although I was having "doubts" I still believed it all so was still quick to defend the religion apart from the little niggles I had.

Whether they are a troll or not there are always "lurkers" on this site who are jut reading and whenever I have recommended JWN to newly exiting JWs I always feel the need to warn them that it can sometimes get brutal on here. I wish I didn't have to as it is still the best exjw forum on the net but as a sensitive and woosy southern Brit I feel it can get quite harsh here at times.

I hope they come back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit