What is spirit, exactly?

by Viviane 609 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• galaxie
    galaxie

Viv ...by mentioning those names you are still assuming that what they say is credible, it may well be but the ancient world and understanding of forces which have a bearing on our existence are far more than the sum of those you mention , I presume that you will agree?

The fact that spirit was identified as no more than the air we breathe is very plausible given human reasoning and understanding and the complexities of same, as is the fact that some saw it as a supernatural force, hence the very foundation of why we discuss it today and certainly a causal factor for your question.

In the context of spirit as merely the air we breathe who could argue with certainty that ancient peole saw it as just that.

The main reasoning and acceptance of spirit as something other than a physical force comes to us courtesy of the bible and such like.

The proportionality of those writers as opposed to wordwide population is miniscule.

What comes down to us in the evolution of language and ultimately the vocabulary we use is not down to those writers of mystical stories, but rather normal generational handing down.

I therefore see no confusion the ancient understanding of spirit being no more than the air we breathe as a physical force based on the evidence of effects of such is entirely possible,

The fact that it came to be seen as something other than that ie magic or supernatural was most probably down to a tiny minority in relation to world population, the effects of which have persisted to this day ie the minority speaking for and influencing the many.

• jgnat
    jgnat

It's not a tiny minority, galaxie. Though the video I linked points out how useless polls are for parsing fact from fantasy.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/believing-bull/201106/why-do-people-believe-in-invisible-beings

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/02/real-ghosts-americans-poll_n_2049485.html

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Why does it seem that some see emotion as an enemy? - caliber

Just because I don't use emotion to clinically review an unknown subject does not make emotion the enemy. Emotions can be very useful. Not so useful to rocket scientists or nuclear plant engineers. jgnat

Complete deja vu. Wow.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Jgnat,.. you seem definite in your conclusion, but polls are merely opinions in the the main and of course some do not have the outcome of their conclusions.

I would argue that the influence to believe spirit was a supernatural force /influence on our lives comes from a more powerful/influential minority the minions following suit out of fear.

Best wishes

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I know it has been clarified,

But to be clear, memories are just connections between your vision, your emotion, your hearing, your taste, etc etc attached to your processing.

A memory is actually physically formed in the brain. People with dementia have a brain that is physically deteriorating, the brain shrinks in size, they lose the neurones.

Memory is physical! It would take 2 mi utes on google or a trip to the library to learn this. How on earth do you think atheists could exist if we had an etherial memory of no physical foundation, or if emotions were not fully explained by the physiology and their effects?

These are all well understood. It is true to say we don't k ow the exact mechanism of how a memory is laid down, but that is due to the difficulty in testing and examining a living brain in real time. It isn't because the physiology is missing,

Trauma and damage to the brain taught us much about how it works, it has been long appreciated that memory is physical, just as it is with a computer. You look at a cd and wonder how info is stored in a physical form....so with a dvd, it stores images, video, music, writing etc.Because we access the memory in what appears an abstract way, we don't see the neurons firing, not until the recent FMRI's could we see them work. Just as with computers etc, memory is stored physically, though in a very different way to computers.we don't have a specific memory region, we make memories by making connections.

Everyone however has had a taste of how memories are laid down, ever heard a song and a smell been sent back 15 years to a specific memory?

When we revise for exams, knowing how memories are made, stored and accessed, we revise in a manner that uses all of the senses. So I draw,

I use colours, I read the words out loud, I make imaginary connections with the words. I even sometimes play songs when revising multiple exams so that nearer the exam I play the same songs again and it works, there will be portions of a song and a very specific and vivid memory from the revision will come to mind, usually something i had to put extra effort into learning.

My point is, these are well understood and all 100% explainable via the physical.

With respect, you are bringing up things long understood. Perhaps have a quick look on a reputable science/medicine/biology site online before you mention it as then you can learn for yourself what we do actually know.

This took 10 seconds to find...

Ask a neurosxientist: How and where are memories stored.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2012/03/13/daily-circuit-ask-a-neuroscientist

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

sorry...

Also what is the value in taking a poll on the belief of spirit on a religious forum. The data is bias beyond any value........and the answer has nothing to do with reality or truth.

Evidence is everything.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Viv ...by mentioning those names you are still assuming that what they say is credible, it may well be but the ancient world and understanding of forces which have a bearing on our existence are far more than the sum of those you mention , I presume that you will agree?

I assume nothing. I provided the means to research by experts. You provide nothing but "galaxie says so". Making presumptions about me is an ignornat and foolish position to take.

In the context of spirit as merely the air we breathe who could argue with certainty that ancient peole saw it as just that.

Had you bothered to do any research you would find that not at all to be the case.

The main reasoning and acceptance of spirit as something other than a physical force comes to us courtesy of the bible and such like.

Had you bothered to do any research you would find that's not at all the case. Try harder.

I therefore see no confusion the ancient understanding of spirit being no more than the air we breathe as a physical force based on the evidence of effects of such is entirely possible,

You see nothing because you are making asertions without doing research or actually knowing what you are talking about. Claiming spirit, as it meant to the ancients, to be air, is abritrary and contrary to research.

Your answer can easily be summed as "Galaxie thinks it's a metaphor for air".

We are still no closer to an answer.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Complete deja vu. Wow.

FHN, you yet again manage to contribute nothing while desperately trying to fine a way to feel superior to everyone.

I would argue that the influence to believe spirit was a supernatural force /influence on our lives comes from a more powerful/influential minority the minions following suit out of fear.

Still no closer to an answer.

This took 10 seconds to find...

Snare, thank you for bringing your expertise to this thread. Critical thinking appears to be at a premium.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Wow Viv, what a great question and great responses. I am not sure what it means that you have reached page 28 on posts, but I'll bet you had no idea you question would hit such a nerve.

In any event, As far as I am concerned the spirit is what we take from previous generations and hopefully move forward.

As an example, I hope that what I do now is aligned with what my mother considered important. I also hope that she fulfilled, at least in part, the goals from prior generations. And the spirit of the family continues. I hope that my children and their children can finish what I will be unable to complete.

If that happens then my life created value.

I have spent a great deal of time, recently, visualizing the life of my grandparents. I am not sure how this fits in to your questions, but I suspect that it has a lot to do with the general theme of what I consider to be my spirit.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

V

I give what is spirit exactly?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit