I had a funny feeling he was a Witness... and now I need help.

by noontide 60 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Remind him that his role requires him to step up and take 'leadership' seriously....

Tell him you once read a great quote that said: (he may recognise these words, but dont let on where you read it from)

"If the trumpet sounds an indistinct call, who will get ready for the battle?"

In other words, if you dont lead your team well, then the department will suffer. He has a duty of care to his team to ensure that they work well and effectively...and his example is the key!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Noontide:

Now that your professionalism is being questioned, I thought I would be helpful and point out that you forgot to put a CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT on your post.

You can use this one if you wish:

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This electro noseic and transmignassion attached any documents or other and writings any confidential and the sole use of any and the intenoded recipient(s) or idenutified below. This message may or may not contain informations. That is privileged. Confidenatial or any otherwise protected "or formi" disclosure. Under applicable law. If you, as the receiver, of this information; are not or will the above intended recipient; or the employee and or agent responsible. For delivering many of the informations. To the intended recipient: you are not nor hereby notified. That any use, reading, recitation, singing, dissemination, anti-dissemination and distribution, copying. Prohibitedanul or semi annular storage of this information is strictly prohibited. Enforcement clause: If you have never received this information in error, you have certain legal obligations; consult a policeman. Please notify the imparting sender by return surface email and delete the electrons transmitted on, until all attachments from your including system to date.

• jemba
    jemba

Noontide I had to check to see whether you lived in Australia as the company my Husband works for has exactly the same setup as you described... a very strange JW at the helm who has no balls when making decisions and although reasonably intelligent comes across as an absolute idiot, he just smiles and keeps his mouth shut when there is a problem.

The issue we have with Hubbys boss is that he keeps hiring JW staff who are not meek or humble but are braggers who wont do as theyre told and are often lazy and have a lot of pent up anger at their 'masculinity' and life being taken away by the WTS.

The blokes my Husband works with have reported him higher up for hiring only JWs as its badly affecting morale and ultimately the business.

• noontide
    noontide

Ha, ha, ha!!!

You made my day Mr. Natas!

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Lets lay off noon tide. He/she is not asking a professional forum question, but consulting with "peers" on the human side of a business decision.

That being said however, I am sure as a consultant, you are used to being resented for your presence. I would say unequivocally as a person who runs a small business myself, do NOT get into how or why this guy is the way it is. Too much room for misinterpretation by those that don't understand, and too much cause for liability where it isn't needed.

The answer is already in your comments. He is an indian, not a chief. Nuff said.

Director must have

-Solid management charictaristics

-Flexible work schedule

-Ability to make hard decisions

He needs

-Ridgid schedule

-Is considered "weird" and is the head of HR?

-Seems to be overly "timid" when acting in a directorial role.

I think he can be moved around and his posision be tooled to be more lower middle management, while replacing him with someone more capable. He will still be in the department, still be well liked, you know he will "meekly" handle it, and you can fix what is needed.

Thoughts?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Do not raise the question of religion at all, as that is illegal discrimination. Whilst that may be the underlying cause of the problems, it is irrelevant to the company. They need you to identify the specific problems, not why he has them. Does he have poor communication skills or procrastinate, leading to missed deadlines. Then set KPI's around those that can be used to help him improve, or else are the basis to manage him out of the organisation. There are personality profiling tools that can be used that specifically show how well a team works together, and identify areas that individuals need to improve on.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Is it possible for you to be very direct with him and tell him that if he doesn't step up to the plate, he may be out of a job soon? You are obviously trying to guide him in the right direction. Maybe realizing he could lose his job will be the slap in the face he needs?

• rebel8
    rebel8

Don't mention the religion at all. It is not pertinent to your job. Stick to behaviors.

Stick to performance and work conduct.

Work conduct--
    -Is he following company rules?
    -Is he preaching to people in a manner that violates policy?

Performance--
    -As a salaried employee, attendance tracking is irrelvant. Not getting his job done is. Leaving when things need to be done, habitually, is a big issue.
    -Is he prepared and productive?
    -Does he prioritize and lead effectively?
    -Is he competent? Does he possess the knowledge and skills needed to perform his job adequately?
    -Does he manage his staff properly?

Quirks and weirdness by themselves are not a reason that makes someone unsuccessful, as you know. You need to find out what else it is and articulate it. Put yourself in the employee's shoes and ask yourself, if my director said/did that to me, how would that affect my ability and motivation to perform?

Once I had a manager who "didn't mesh well with her subordinates", so her boss made her take us all out to lunch. Then the boss called us each privately afterwards to find out how it went, and we gave direct quotes from the manager, said during lunch. It was the nail in her coffin. This woman had major personality issues and couldn't act normal. You could suggest that...

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Your mission is to improve the work environment and productivity of your company, not to save this dullard's life.

Give him an opportunity to seek his bliss growing and selling cucumbers. In the 1950s the Awake! said that was a good way for ersatz colporteurs to make a living. Demand for cucumbers has never been greater.

Jehovah-jireh. Or NOT.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This electro noseic and transmignassion attached any documents or other and writings any confidential and the sole use of any and the intenoded recipient(s) or idenutified below. This message may or may not contain informations. That is privileged. Confidenatial or any otherwise protected "or formi" disclosure. Under applicable law. If you, as the receiver, of this information; are not or will the above intended recipient; or the employee and or agent responsible. For delivering many of the informations. To the intended recipient: you are not nor hereby notified. That any use, reading, recitation, singing, dissemination, anti-dissemination and distribution, copying. Prohibitedanul or semi annular storage of this information is strictly prohibited. Enforcement clause: If you have never received this information in error, you have certain legal obligations; consult a policeman. Please notify the imparting sender by return surface email and delete the electrons transmitted on, until all attachments from your including system to date.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

If he is the HR Director I thought most if not all management is required to work more than 40 hours a week Since they aare salary workers and many have contracts. It sounds like you have plenty to get him on and hopefully the ones who work under him will open up about his performance. I agree with the other and do not bring religion into this at all. You have enough information with out it unless he is preaching to the employees then that is a different matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit