I had a funny feeling he was a Witness... and now I need help.

by noontide 60 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey, I've met Witnesses...and Christians...and Mormons...who knew when to keep their religion in their pocket. There is no need to structure a question to screen religious people out. Job interviews are a prime time to weed out the fanatics. A most notable interview I had was with a woman with a wee problem with mental illness. She decided to pre-empt any concerns we may have (just in case we pulled up her old personnel file before the interview) and introduced us to her "invisible friend". It was an excruciating but thankfully short interview.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

Identify his behavior without connecting them to his religion. For instance: Others in the department see him as distant and unapproachable. He is preceived as judgmental in ways that do not connect to his area os supervision.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

noontide - The only reason I even broached the subject of religion, is because I can clearly see that his JW mentality is affecting his work, and others see his JW behavior as strange (think newly indoctrinated Witness, who is very proud of his religion and you’ll get a sense of how he conducts himself). I can sympathize with this; I was once there myself.

I really wanted to help him and see him succeed; unfortunately I don't believe this will happen. I have taken over the HR department and am now instructing him how to run it. In the few weeks that I have been here, people are now coming to me and directing their questions and issues with me. This does not bode well for him. But ultimately it will be all about this job performance.

Hi noontide, How long has the director been a director and how long has he been a JW? What attibutes did the company see in him that made them choose him over other candidates?

Since you have taken over the department, he may already be searching for a new job. His ego may be seeing the writing on the wall.

If you want to help him, how do you feel he would respond to you offering to help him improve his interpersonal skills (and possibly other skills)? It would either push him to find a job quicker or he might try to change if he understood the effect he had on people and his department's performance.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Mikado
    Mikado

I'm in management, anyone who isn't willing to work overtime shouldn't be in managment. How can I ask others to do what im not willing to do....

i would strongly suggest not raising religion at all, it's both irrelevant and a legal minefield.

• steve2
    steve2

His religion is neither here nor there - but you risk making it everywhere. Look, the world of employees is full of strange people. Regardless of his religion, he's either up to the job or not. Period. In fact, by 'letting the cat out of the bag' you risk his religion being the employment factor. This takes me back a few decades where, if the Police thought one of their number was queer, they'd go to management behind the poor sod's back and he'd lose his job. You're not as blatant...just more crafty and subtle.

• shadow
    shadow

noontide,

Are you indecisive or incompetent as a consultant? Why would you seek advice about your consulting gig on an anonymous forum? Don't you have any peers you could consult with if you don't know how to handle situation? If you're an external consultant, why are you meddling in organizational functions? Do you have a strong academic background or lengthy experience with organizational development? Sorry, but it sounds like the HR Director is not the only problem in this situation.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Shadow, I think the OP allowed himself to relate too much to the guy based on the common background and it likely just made him uncomfortable-wanting to help the guy cause he knows where he is coming from and why he is kind of weird and a bad fit. It distracted him from his (I assume) normal perspective and frame of reference since he knows the "whys".

Everyone is right though. The performance review doesn't need toknow the whys-they need toknow the problem and how it has been addressed. The HR guy is not cut out for his job and should be re-assigned to something he is successful at (and it is clear that he must have been good at something toget that position) or should get some intensive training in leadership (which is a good idea for any new management w/o any good background or training in leadership).

I wish the OP and the employee well. We ALL know the weird JW's. ...most of us used to BE them. We gotta root for these guys cause statistically speaking, they are likely to be out someday too and trying to make a new life without normal friends or the dubious support of their WT associates. They have a rough row to hoe!

• noontide
    noontide

Shadow,

I am professionally certified in the HR field, and posses a Business/HR Degree and yes, I am very well versed in HR procedures and CA law. From the legal point of view, I know exactly how to handle this situation. If the person is not performing, the documentation is made, the laws are followed and then the person is dismissed. The person’s religion is off limits, based on the Civil Rights Act of 1964 Title VII. Hope this answer sounds more official.

Again, I like this guy, he is nice enough and I wanted to see him succeed. So I was wondering if there was any way to help him based on our knowledge of the JW mindset and our combined JW experiences.

As to why I’m posting on this anonymous website, it is because I’ve been on here for a while and I feel comfortable bringing up subjects that often, other people (who have not been JW’s) don’t understand. Even though I don’t post on here all that often, I do read some of your comments and I feel like I am familiar with some of you, and feel comfortable asking these types of questions. A general HR professional without the JW background would not even begin to comprehend what I meant or saw in this person when I found out he was a Witness.

Giordano,

Although my tone may be a little looser on this forum, it is because I feel comfortable with everyone. I am very PC and business-like at work, but should I have to be this way on here as well? I’m comfortable here; give me a change to let my hair and guard down a bit. Thanks. Didn’t think I had to act like a professional manager on here as well. There are times when I need to be un-PC. Thanks.

• nugget
    nugget

In this instance his religious affiliation is not grounds for action his behaviour is. In fact it is better not to mention religion in any written reports as this could be considered grounds for discrimination.

What is relevant is that although he has alot of knowledge he lacks drive and ability to motivate others.

As a director surely he could reschedule key meetings to ensure he is available the fact that he misses them but is not proactive is an issue. What is clear is that the job does not appear to be a high priority and this is manifested by his inflexible attitude to attendance. Does he expect others to work late to cover his absences? If so then this can build resentment. Is he unflexible about other people leaving for their commitments? Ask him what his priorities are and what is his vision for the department. What are his goals and plans, how does he cover meetings he doesn't attend? How does he communicate and motivate his department? As a director I would expect him to have vision and direction not just deal with day to day tasks. He should be improving the department and seeking to improve his skills as well. He should be communicating with other directors and coming up with ideas. The people who work for him will take their energy and perspective from him.

He is not a leader and therefore is unsuited to the role he finds himself in. He would be better in a singleton role where he has no subordinates.

• noontide
    noontide

JWdaughter,

Thank you for conveying what I was trying to express. You hit the nail on the head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit