I had a funny feeling he was a Witness... and now I need help.

by noontide 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Comatose
    Comatose

I agree with the others. If he is not performing as he should then share the assessment minus the JW aspects. Be careful you do not assess him poorly due to his religion. (it doesn't sound like you are doing that)

• JWdaughter
  • tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

What his personal beliefs are should have nothing to do with evaluating his job performance. If he is under-performing, he shoud be warned and put on a personal improvement plan. If he refuses to comply or cannot change his performance, he should be terminated. His religious beliefs should have absolutely no bearing on how he is treated for his job performance. By giving him a break because he is a "quirky JW", you are actually engaging in a form of reverse discrimination against the other employees.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Good advice all round I believe.

What about asking him if he could do anything he liked in life what would it be.

That is what he should be doing instead, and where he is likely to fit in better.

A good psychologist could help him uncover and reassess his worldview to provide him with any clarity he seems to be lacking.

In CBT (in psychology) our behaviour and beliefs have to align or we will experience Cognitive Dissonance.

• talesin
    talesin

As a few others have pointed out, you already know the solution ....

so he is rather meek at work and does not take the initiative; he defers decisions to others and comes across as weak. And of course, come hell or high water, he always leaves right on time, because he has to get to his (JW) meetings. He has missed more than a few important work meetings because he said he couldn’t stay at work an hour or so for overtime.

Cut out the JW part - you know 'why' he is not performing, but it's his actual performance you are reporting on.

* takes no initiative, shows little to no leadership

* often leaves decision-making to subordinates

* displays zero commitment to company crises by refusing to work any overtime when needed (note from me -- that's just nuts --- management is usually "required" to be at these types of meetings)

* has poor communication with subordinates

* is resistant to examining his performance, as he feels his work is exemplary

just a few thoughts ... :)

tal

• Londo111
    Londo111

I'm not sure what is wrong with meekness--aggression is a huge negative in my book. And kudos to him in leaving on time...that is called work life balance! We need more of that, less of the cooperate hivemind mentality.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi noontide, Can you suggest to the company about doing a 360-deg evaluation of the director where you suggest specific questions to evaluate his performance? What metrics can you suggest to the company to measure the performance of the director's department?

I would suggest that you present to the company what you feel are important attributes for the director's performance. I would include being pro-active, having a vision, inspiring employees to work more effectively.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

What has been the Company's assessment of his performance to date? They are bound to have some performance evaluations on record. His JW religion has nothing to do with it, but no doubt is a contributing factor in his work performance. Not every good worker is a good Supervisor or Manager when promoted to lead others. This is something the Company should have known before promoting him. Report your findings and leave it up to them to fix their problem.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Do know If he has tried to do any incidental witnessing to his staff? That would be a big no no.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Sounds like a case where a good worker got promoted. Just because someone is a productive staff member doesn't mean that they're management material... regardless of religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit