I had a funny feeling he was a Witness... and now I need help.

by noontide 60 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

rvp hit it on the head. His style is a performance issue because he is in a leaddership role but he is not acting like a leader. He is compliant and indecisive in circumstances in which he needs to be exercising judgement, setting the tone and direction for others to follow. He probably also lacks the education, analytical skills and critical thinking to do the job. Be very careful not to reference his beliefs when describing the problem. I am sure you cna do this. Fraz

Just to add to that, say what you said in your opening post without referencing the religion.

He is smart and knows his job duties very well, but the execution is a whole other story. I can tell you that his JW mentality is hurting his job performance. I don’t think he is an elder, so he is rather meek at work and does not take the initiative; he defers decisions to others and comes across as weak. And of course, come hell or high water, he always leaves right on time, because he has to get to his (JW) meetings. He has missed more than a few important work meetings because he said he couldn’t stay at work an hour or so for overtime. I don’t know how he got to a position of Director in this company, yet there he is. And again, everyone just thinks he’s weird.

• Make Lemonade
    Make Lemonade

How are the employees under his supervision being affected? Does the mindset of the director set a confusing example to them? What, if any, of the supervisor's actions or attitudes cause a conflict between company goals and employee performance?

• cha ching
    cha ching

Have you spoken to the employees under his supervision? Do they have clear direction? Usually, the people working close with someone have the inside story, but are not able to express it to someone with the ability to change it without consequence to themselves.... and would actually love to have a 'fine tuning' to make their job more productive and meaningful.

That is how it is where I work. We have a new 'supervisor', (not a JW) but she does not have a deep understanding of how all the departments, paperwork and coding relate. Yet, she is charge of giving instructions, that are sometimes frustrating, to the people who need to accomplish their job every day.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Looks like you know what you're doing. It's a shame this guys future looks bleak, but you gotta do what you gotta do. The people in the company who hired you want to fire him, they just want you to find a legitimate way to do it. Possibly you have to put in place a procedure that will lead either to his dismissal or deomtion. What do you think?

Kate xx

• blondie
    blondie

This is my 2 cents worth; why is it your job to evaluate him? You aren't his supervisor and they must have had some input from others as to what has made them think there is. jws aren't all the same at work, meek etc. A jw I knew was hell on wheels and I explained that it was her personality to her supervisor (she said: Blondie you're a jw and you don't act like that). I like what OTWO has suggested, not making religion part of it because all jws don't all act the same way at work (don't I know that).

• Magnum
    Magnum

I also agree with rip van winkle. Say everything you said to us minus the JW part.

• metatron
    metatron

If you have to confront him in private about his performance and the issue of religion comes up, challenge his faith.

Encourage him to quit and pioneer.

Honestly, if you have described his personality accurately, why is he a manager?

metatron

• MissFit
    MissFit

Maybe he needs leadership training. How long has he held that position? Maybe you should find out how he got the job. If he was promoted up from a lower position he might be having trouble transitioning from follower to leader.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I'm sorry noontide but I have a funny feeling about your story.

we are having a rather awkward and stilted lunch conversation, when he proceeds to tell me that he is one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. I knew it!!! This revelation explained A LOT. All of a sudden everything became clear.

To put it bluntly, the JW's have castrated him. I honestly don't know how he got the position he has.

Unfortunately you do not sound grounded or mature enough to do a professional evaluation of this person. Nor do I understand why the company has no in house group to deal with human resource issues.

• Laika
    Laika

You can say you don't think his personality is suited to the role without explaining why, you're a consultant not a psychologist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit