Embarrassed by Aggressive Apostates

by ShempLives 61 Replies latest jw friends

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

AAWA's videos are the best on YouTube. What the hell are you going on about?

• zophar
    zophar

Excellent observation!

I have been less than impressed with AAWA as a general rule, when it comes to things like this.

However, to each their own. Maybe they are not that concerned with helping others with concerns and doubts and are more interested in celebrating (some might say flaunting) their freedom.

Everyone has their own journey.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

I am a big fan of tony primes videos but I think acting this way is a mistake. I think he regrets it as well which can be seen in his next video.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Welcome.

well, a bit crazy. The sheer number of XJW videos made suggests maybe there is something compulsive

Agreed.

They seem proud when one of their minions acts out, like giving the middle finger at a KH or shouting at JWs on the street. It's kind of embarrassing.

Yep it is. After a brief period of venting one's anger, a normal person can move away from such behavior (if ever engaging in it in the first place). Ventilation is healthy, and so is anger, as long as it doesn't become a problem in itself. (I wrote about that in a book...)

Thing is, people are not always self aware or honest with themselves. Acting out by protest isn't always to "help people out of the cult"--I suspect many times it's an act to help oneself deal with anger, get revenge, etc.

If that wasn't true, then most of these types would be intersted in prevention. It's obviously much, much more effective in helping others. But almost no one is interested in that, as far as I can tell. And that says something about true motives.

It's dangerous to urge emotionally troubled people to act out and exploit their actions to get attention.

Yep. But many human beings tend toward bullying, and bullying by proxy. xjws are not different from the rest.

• Listener
    Listener

Shemptlives said

"A JW memorial to remember" where a drunk man goes to a memorial and downs the whole glass of wine as a sort of protest.

What did I miss? I watched the video from Tony Prime and I neither saw him drunk or drink a whole glass of wine. Is this claim true?

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

If you read the comments on the video he explains that he stood up said the propaganda line. Then there is a delay. That is when he downed the wine. Then he said his concluding comments.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

People in TV-land, movie-land, executive types, even people in front of a jury for murder,

take time and pay money to be critiqued, to see how "other's" view them,

hoping to look good, and be seen and thought of, in a favorable light.

Some of the findings (sorry, I don't have proof, just what I recall reading/hearing)

is that people tend to listen more to professional sounding and looking people.

That is one of the reasons, GB demands strictness in JW dress.

I have seen a few EX-JW YouTubes.

The ones I have seen, are in no way professional, and to me their appeal, is limited.

Sorry, just my OHO.

LL

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Shemp: Eventually somebody will go too far, and someone will get hurt.

Yes, that "somebody" is the WTBTS leadership.

They have ruined millions of lives and take no responsibility.

There are a lot of angry, hurt people out there.

You are right that when ex-JWs act out their anger it often does more harm than good, but you seem to fail to make any attempt at understanding WHY they may feel the way they do.

We put our faith in this religion and they leaders of it responded by lying to us and betraying that faith. If there is anyone that is "mentally diseased," it is most certainly the Governing Body members, past and present and the individual leaders before them.

What is your suggestion to help those "still-in" to wake up and see that they are in a high-control, authoritarian cult?

How would you reach out to people that have had their families taken away from them because they have been ostracized and shunned for realizing that the "theology" of Jehovah's Witnesses and the corresponding teachings, doctrines are all nothing more than delusions and lies?

How would you comfort those that have suffered because of the WT's policies and practices?

I look forward to your response.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

ShempLives, by your response, it seems that you don't understand what BITE means.

It is Steven Hassan's explanation of how cults control their members:

The BITE Model of Cult Mind Control:

B = Behavior

I = Information

T = Thought

E = Emotion

You should check it out and familarize your self with it. Although Hassan's model describes the control methods of cults in general, and he acknowledges that not all cults use every technique to control that is in his quite extensive list. Hassan says, "It is important to understand that destructive mind control can be determined when the overall effect of these four components promotes dependency and obedience to some leader or cause. It is not necessary for every single item on the list to be present."

Nevertheless, I'm sure you'll notice that the majority of control methods in his list are utilized by the WTBTS to control its members.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I find some of the behavior puzzling, it makes me uncomfortable. But I am not responsible for what other ex JWs do, we are not one group, just individuals trying to recover as best we can from our time in a destructive cult. Current JWs buy the Watchtower lie that we are angry and bitter, so they can hardly think any less of us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit