Embarrassed by Aggressive Apostates

by ShempLives 61 Replies latest jw friends

• ShempLives
    ShempLives

XJW Protests & Videos

I am disturbed by some of the more aggressive apostates posting videos on youtube,like "A JW memorial to remember" where a drunk man goes to a memorial and downs the whole glass of wine as a sort of protest. This video and others like it received positive comments from AAWA members. I'VE noticed some apostates start off sounding reasonable untill they fall in love with the camera and then they come off as obsessed and ...well, a bit crazy. The sheer number of XJW videos made suggests maybe there is something compulsive/ addictive going on. They seem proud when one of their minions acts out, like giving the middle finger at a KH or shouting at JWs on the street. It's kind of embarrassing.

It's dangerous to urge emotionally troubled people to act out and exploit their actions to get attention. I worry it could escalate into violence. These apostates act like they care more about impressing each other than trying to help anyone in the cult. I could see them being competitive, trying to out-do each other with more extreme stunts. Eventually somebody will go too far, and someone will get hurt. Maybe this is what AAWA wants? They are so desperate for publicity, as if bad publicity is better than none.

I've read some of the threads here on JWN about AAWA controversy. I know they don't like criticism and delete any negative posts. I'm wondering if anyone is in charge over there? I hope the leadership of AAWA has some sort of plan if one of their members gets hurt or into legal trouble.

I don't mean to be an alarmist but I'm worried they might do something drastic. Am I over-reacting?

(I was raised in the cult, left as teenager and have been out 30+ years, still working through JW abuse issues.)

• designs
    designs

There are a few individuals who post on Facebook that go to the Memorial and try to engage the JWs, usually its a Fundamentalist or Evangelical doing this kind of missionary work.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

There can be a lot of hurt deep down inside, I don't judge people that do this stuff, I just wish they understood that its not effective.

It only makes the WT look like they are telling the truth about "apostates". If everyone who left calmly and cooly moved on with life, a lot more active JWs would be extremely curious about why they moved away from the WT. This would in turn allow them to look at the evidence in a more rational way.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

They are clumsy in their action. What does being rude to current Witnesses accomplish? It only makes the WT more dear to people. They strike me as adolescents and not true men. Doesn't anyone realize that their present position could turn out to be wrong. Maybe the GB doesn't deserve any break. Regular Witnesses deserve respect. It is as though they never had teen age years b/c of the Witnesses so I will act as a teenager now. How does making a rude video liberate anyone from the WT? It plays right into the GB hands.

• ShempLives
    ShempLives

Thanks, designs. I thought it was an AAWA thing.

I don't mean any offense and i hope none is taken. I was just going to lurk here but was disgusted by that video by Tony Prime at the memorial.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome ShempLives, The WTBTS's BITE control has left its mark on many exJWs. ExJWs may go through a grieving process that includes disbelief, betrayal, hurt, anger, and numbness. Some exJWs move on and some don't. I worry about those that feel angry for years/decades. If you know of someone specifically, how would you help them?

What are your WTBTS abuse issues (without going into personally identifying details)?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• ShempLives
    ShempLives

Lost generation: I understand feeling hurt and angry, and I have a lot of lingering resentment. I agree that it's not effective to antagonize people.

Band on the Run: Clumsy and adolescent is a good way to describe it. They really are like awkward teenagers trying to see what they can get away with. It's like they started out wanting to take down the WT and got sidetracked into harrassing individual JWs who are (mostly) well meaning but misguided.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I must admit even I find such videos embarrassing to watch. All that this type of behaviour enforces is Wt take on the apostate movement as been angry and bitter just like their farther the devil.

• ShempLives
    ShempLives

A Bible Student: A BITE mark from the WT! You summed it up perfectly.

I understand what you're saying, an angry person can be scary and it's hard to know how to help. Like a wounded animal that bites anyone who comes near it. I think they should lick their wounds and get help before they go mental on camera. I think AAWA and some of the more popular youtube apostates are encouraging them and it hurts their cause.

My own issues ... well, I was in denial for years about the effect that cult upbringing had on me. No one in my family will talk about it now.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

The voiceless and the Invisible often act irrationality out of sheer desperaiton.

Former JW's are virtually voiceless. No one outside the organization understands their plight . To those still on the inside, they are intentionally and purposfully kept invisible. Many of them have spent decades engaging in cognative dissonance and are still approaching the whole JW issue with certain cognative deficiencies that sometimes make things worse for themselves and the rest of us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit