Embarrassed by Aggressive Apostates

by ShempLives 61 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Some of the things I see is not my style, but I don't think any of these embarrass me. My approach is very different but I can see why some may have a different approach; whether I agree or disagree is irrelevant.

I got my own stinkin problems and can worry what others do.

Someone looking to leave will look at the body of information out there and never based their decision on any one specific pissed of ex jw. To think otherwise is kind of silly.

• ShempLives
    ShempLives

Band on the Run: "Apostate walks into Bethel" was disturbing. The filmakers see nothing wrong with making penis jokes when they're representing an advocacy group for abuse victims. The Happy Dance video had a crude dance move performed by an adult and child, which is okay for family and friends, I felt it was wrong for an abuse advocacy group. They're strangely tone deaf.
    I don't know if a peaceful sit in is possible with this attitude?

lisaBObeesa: "if anyone thinks that getting all exjws to be sweet and kind all the time is going to bring the WT down" ExJws being aggressive in public turns people away. Watching people vent their anger like this is painful. Of course XJWs aren't going to be robots, but do they have to be bullies?

Simonyou have a talent for summing it all up beautifully in one post

Thanks for your perspectives, Vdiot, Phizzy, Dazednotconfused,

ApostateThunder, NewYork44M

• JunkYardDog
    JunkYardDog

I haven't seen the videos. but jw's need to be stood up to at times. i run into them in the street all the time. and just I out play them at their own game. I piss them off all the time just by being more khowledgable about the wt than they are. thats all thats needed...

• Simon
    Simon

I think some people see all JWs as the same but they are not. Just like every other organization it's composed of leaders, followers, decision makers and the controlled. Some people seem to have forgotten that.

It's like being vehemently opposed to some behavior of a company, such as offshore drilling being done by an Oil and Gas company, but instead of focusing on the decision makers you go into a local gas station and scream at the attendant. Sure, they are 'part of the organization' but they are just a cog in the wheel, not one of the people making the decisions even if they follow them completely.

They are the people we want to convince, not the enemy, and I think it's easy for some to start thinking they are and then justifying whatever action they want to take however cruel, stupid or extreme it may be.

Do we want to be the kind of people who show up at a KH and frighten people, families and small children? Hell no! What's more, I don't want to be associated in any way with people who want to do things like that.

We were all followers once. Some of us have family and people we once counted as friends still in. That's why we feel so strongly and want to warn other people not to get pulled in and help others to wake up so they can get their freedom. We will only do that by being respectful, approachable and considerate.

That doesn't mean we need to be passive or weak, but I think it takes a stronger man not to give in to anger.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

It's like being vehemently opposed to some behavior of a company, such as offshore drilling being done by an Oil and Gas company, but instead of focusing on the decision makers you go into a local gas station and scream at the attendant. Sure, they are 'part of the organization' but they are just a cog in the wheel, not one of the people making the decisions even if they follow them completely.

Simon ...

Excellent point. I will use that in the future.

If I was the TMS instructor, I would give you a "G" for Convincing Argument.

Rub a Dub

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I can see an arrest in the future. So far I have not heard that they accomplished one positive thing for apostates. Giving some Bethelite your business card is not funny. Funny would be an end to shunning, the blood doctrine, and overreaching.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I generally avoid talking to current JWs about my beliefs. I have asked to be put on the do not call list, which they have not respected, unfortunately. Still, I do not treat them badly, I see no reason to hurt or embarrass them, it's counter productive. The last time I was a bit grumpy, as I was sick in bed and I had asked so many times, even in writing, that they not come by. I do assure them that I know they are sincere, but I think they are mislead. I have had a few good conversations where I stated my problems with the religion. I think that does more good than acting like a rebellious teen and doing childish pranks. I couldn't even watch the video of the guy who crashed the memorial, he was obviously still full of hurt and anger, it was uncomfortable to watch.

I think we would all like this organization to be exposed for what it is, but that isn't the way. I have been thinking about ways to be more proactive in educating the general public about the Watchtower, I am at a point in my life where I can devote time to it, but I will not use the tactics of the anti JW group, that just isn't me. If anyone here has ideas about how that could be done, I would like to hear them. There are so many things that could be done via social media, but you have to know what you are doing.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I thought of a moratorium like action. Of course, it could have been a disaster. If everyone who posts talks to people they know about the Witnesses without undue drama, it is a good start. It doesn't take even five minutes. I go for the education first. People assume that I attended private schools so they are shocked to hear how the Witnesses are against education. I usually talk about Armageddon and would Jesus endorse the slaughter of human infants. The news that the Witnesses at the door may be scouting their house to move into after Armageddon shocks them.

I don't see what youtube videos will do. I've been outside of power and continually losing and then inside of power and winning. Winning is nicer. People on this site do a lot already. I always tried to stay with the Quakers so violence would not be a factor. Everything we do in the world is an action against the WT. It seems that some people would impose their beliefs rather than the WT beliefs. Some of this action stuff is so juvenile that I feel sorry for the WT. It scares me how much I hate the WT!

When I talk to normal people about the WT, I try very hard to keep my emotions in check. My voice must stay low.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

I have family members and long time friends that are currently researching JW history and questioning their relationship with this organization. I'm afraid this sort of angry, ex-JW garbage on YouTube will close their minds to leaving and living.

Some people leave the Org. and focus their anger toward individuals who are still active members. This is counter-productive.

The internet can be used by the ex-JW 'disenfranchised' to find their 15 minutes in the limelight. It's personal and selfish.

Remember too that a lot of ex-Jehovah's Witnesses die every year - angry, disappointed, uneducated, narrow-minded and resentful. They were still locked into the JW mindset and never set themselves free....

ginger

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

Bad behavior proves to Witnesses that they're right and the bad actor is exactly the fool they think he is. Come to think of it, it proves the same thing to me. Most of the bad actors are people who got caught doing things Witnesses reject. They came to doctrinal or ethical or historical disagreement after the fact. Their outrage is seldom genuine. It's a form of self-justification.

I've seen most of the youtube vids. Some are good. Most are really poor, telling far more about the person that made them than about the Watchtower organization. And most of what the videos tell about them is very negative.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit