WTS buys £1,000,000 luxury sea-front property in Wales, UK

by Simon 157 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Is there more to this story yet?

• Prefect
    Prefect

It is up and running as a Welsh Translation Centre.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I googled but couldn't come up with the info. Do you have a link Prefect?

• Prefect
    Prefect

I live near it. That's how I know.

• dozy
    dozy

One of the translators who lives there is Geraint Watkin. He is mentioned in a recent Awake. https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/awake-no3-2016-june/language-translation-techniques/

http://avoidjw.org/2016/03/geraint/

Why the WTBTS needed to spend nearly a million pounds on buying such a property to house these people baffles me - they could easily have rented a house or flat in a nearby town for a few hundred pounds a month. And why put so much time , expense & effort into translating into a language ( Welsh ) that is basically a second language to most people ( sorry to any Welsh people out there. )

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

dozy - "Why the WTBTS needed to spend nearly a million pounds on buying such a property to house these people baffles me..."

It's a form of incentive... a "carrot" for the loyalists (as opposed to a "stick" for anyone else).

Right out of the Scientology playbook, IMO.

• freddo
    freddo

Nice place for the heavies to have holidays.

• Simon
    Simon
    And why put so much time , expense & effort into translating into a language ( Welsh ) that is basically a second language to most people ( sorry to any Welsh people out there. )

It's one of those languages that is on life-support which means the government may give real money to groups like the WTS willing to help promote it or at least buy them some brownie-points when it comes to asking for other things.

If a language would die out without intervention, it really should die out. Kids would be better learning English plus one of the other more useful 'global' languages such as French, Spanish or Chinese IMO.

Edited to add: ha, just read the front page and I said almost the exact same thing 2 years ago. Oh well, I haven't 'evolved' on the issue as politicians would say!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I'll bet one can use google translate to translate Welsh. This is nothing more then a cover for a vacation property or a property they hope to flip or both. People can go to an office building to translate they don't need a place like this.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

They are very proud of the Translation Centres. They often feature in the monthly broadcasts. When G Jackson was up before the Australian Commission, do you remember he said his primary concern in the Writing was "is it easily translatable?"

The workers are not scholars...which is why they want local offices where they live among the spoken everyday language. Is that true of this location?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit