My Elderette is returning today to CONDUCT another conversation...

by Faithful Witness 85 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Am I supposed to continue trying to help this lady? I know many here do not believe in God anymore, but what is His will in this situation?

I'm not really the person to be answering your question, as I don't believe in the Bible God. The composite texts known as the Bible make it very clear that the being who is described there is a philosophical concept that changes over time. That being said, if God does exist, and wants you to help these people, how would he make it clear without communicating clearly? How can you distinguish what is happening from coincidence?

I've seen people make so many bad decisions due to magical thinking ("If I pray for something and it happens, it must be from God so I should follow this course" -- later, "Maybe this wasn't such a good idea"). I think it's best to stick to what you personally feel is the right and compassionate and practical thing to do. It's good that you want to help them, but if you are coming to the conclusion that you might as well be talking to a wall, then you should give yourself back that free time that you would be wasting on her.

Should I run and protect myself from her?

I don't think you have anything to fear from her. You don't think that there's some secret backroom course in mind control that Witnesses take when they become "adepts", right? They're just sadly deluded people who want to spread their mind virus.

Why does she keep coming back here?

To prove herself righteous, or get her hours in, or both.

After making declarations that I "just don't have time to deal with this," I started getting these nagging reminders in my mind that it is not for me to always understand the purpose of the trials and challenges in my life.

More magical thinking. Didn't Jesus say that time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all? Didn't Solomon express that the swift don't always win the race? Things happen. How can we claim to know whether there is intent behind them or not?

Will the decision to quit meeting with her, mark me in some way? Will the JW's stop calling on me, or will even more of them start avoiding me when they see me in public?

Nope, not at all, unless you do something to get labeled an "apostate". I know you've made it clear to some JWs that you have viewed apostate material, but you haven't pushed it on them, so they simply view you as a poor "stumbled one" who needs help getting free of apostate lies.

Do the different congregations communicate with each other and compare notes?

No, but who knows if she personally knows someone in another congregation that knows you? At least, I don't know.

So they will keep coming back, no matter what I say?

Not at all. Hand her something "apostate" (make sure to tell her what it is, since she won't read it) and you'll probably never see her again.

Are the service hours their main focus?

If you were being held to a yearly quota and made to feel ashamed if you fell short, you'd be desperate too.

Will what I say to one, stop another from coming to the door?

Does shooing a fly out of your house stop other flies from coming in? You're imputing way too much organization to the organization. There are do-not-call records, but they're not well-maintained and often ignored by the publishers when going door to door. There's also some pressure not to put people down on the DNC list even when they explicitly ask to be.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

"... it really seems like the JW's keep appearing all around me ..."

You do know that this is evidence that God wants you to be a JW ... don't you? The angels must be directing them to you.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

So they will keep coming back, no matter what I say?

Probably, unless you specifically ask her not to come back, possibly not even then.

Are the service hours their main focus?

Yes. JWs must get their time in. If it's not talking with you, then it's knocking on doors. Knocking on doors is hard, frustrating and futile, you might get one or two people at home in an hour, and they won't be interested. It's probably more appealing to sit and talk with you. You may think you are challenging her, but she is probably just ignoring anything you bring up that doesn't fit with her beliefs. It's a cult, they are brainwashed.

Will what I say to one, stop another from coming to the door?

You can try putting up a no soliciting sign, but that won't stop most of them. I have requested (verbally, and in writing) numerous times to be put on the "do not call" list, I have even told them I am apostate, they still keep coming. I doubt anything short of a court order will work 100%. You can try just not answering the door, but they actually write down all the "not at homes" and keep coming back to attempt to get them, so you just get them even more often.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Tell them that your house has been officially and formally been turned into a church to reach those that Christ wants to save. The ask if they will join hands with you to help sanctify this new building that the LORD is using to bring ones into being "born again" etc etc throw as much Jesus Freak lingo in there as possible. This will prevent them coming back into your home.

Also for added effect, tell them that some in your group have noticed a aura around the building.

NJY

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

These are great responses! notjustyet, my husband likes your suggestion the best. :)

• dabster
    dabster

I kind of warmed a little to jgnat's comment, somehow, where she says, "I wouldn't agonize so much about demons and God's will. He knows your heart and as soon as it is not doing you any good, stop it. As for demons, Witnesses fear churches for the same thing. I see two groups mutually fearful of 'demons'...". Well yes, but - dunno.

Although there's truth in what she says, the WT organisation is all about deception. If the WT is not the truth, could the deceiver, the father of lies be behind it? Could one aspect of the deception be "don't go to churches - that's where the demons are"? It is precisely in churches, good ones anyway, where the truth is to be found.

I believe that what we read in 1 John 5:19 is right. The whole world does lie in the power of the evil one. The Watchtower is a spiritual counterfeit and of course under his power too. If it appears we're a threat to people in his thrall (good word, that, must use it more often) he's going to retaliate. No surprises there. Without getting all extreme and spooky now, we are in a spiritual fight or Paul wouldn't have written what he did about the weapons of our warfare. We can even come of second best from time to time, I have - but this can be dealt with as we or others pray. I'm not sure we should stop something if it is not doing us any good, necessarily. If we get demonic flak we must be doing something right.

Faithful Witness, all this is not to say that you should continue seeing the elderette and colleague. It might well be an idea to call the discussions off. Look to God for his leading in the matter. I'll be happy to pray too, if you like, that he would reveal unmistakeably to you what he has in mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit