My Elderette is returning today to CONDUCT another conversation...

by Faithful Witness 85 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

She has had 42 years of training and indoctrination. I'm feeling sort of nervous, but also looking forward to it. This will be our second scheduled session together, and we never did agree on a topic.

I'm assuming she will come with an agenda and another prepared presentation. I am going to have a list of questions that I have been confused about from our last "conversation." I plan to take notes this time, so I can remember correctly, the statements she is making.

Miss K is a master at controlling the topic, and trying to throw doubt at just about every comment I make. She has been trained NOT to listen, but to appear that she actually cares. Her armor is thick, and although she seems fully convinced of her version of truth, she will contradict herself and backpaddle on many of her own proclamations. I'm not sure if it is DOUBT that I sense, or if it is just fear of facing the truth. Watching her perform is very interesting... I do love people. They fascinate me.

She clearly suspects me as an apostate, and I'm really unsure of her motives in visiting me. I don't want to scare her off, but I think she must realize that I have already "come to my own conclusion."

It will be interesting to see where we go today... (report will follow)

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I enjoy your posts about these interactions. I still find it amazing how your family treats you when you were only studying, not baptized!

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

FW, don't forget to write down her questions and comments and slowly read them back to her.... ;)

Also I was curious, why do you think she suspects you of being apostate? Because you know, if she truly thinks that, it is forbidden for her to speak with you! lol

Keep up the great posts!

(((hugs)))

• KateWild
    KateWild

You can't be an apostate if you never got baptised, you simply don't believe their doctrines. All bible students have doubts and conflicts of beliefs. You are in the best position to get her to examine her own religion.

I hope it goes well

Kate xx

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

I've enjoyed all your posts about this, so await the outcome with baited breath x

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

She has had 42 years of training and indoctrination.

This means nothing. Most JWs don't really know what they believe. I know I didn't.

Just look out for all those logical fallacies. Red herrings are common.

Well, I'm sure you got it covered. Let us know how it went.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Looking forward to hearing what happens, Try and take control of the conversation and see what happens. In the nicest and most respectful of ways, of course. Does she ever stay on just one subject?

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

She has been trained NOT to listen, but to appear that she actually cares.

Yes. JWs have a "preaching mode", that they switch on. You can see it when they go out in field service. They are not interested in having a conversation with a home owner; they simply want to follow a script. If the home owner asks questions, they deflect and go back to the script

You'll have to work around that. I like to use a lot of probing questions and analogies and stay away from a question/answer format. The Watchtower has developed packaged answers for all possible critical questions and she will keep resorting to them. Instead try to have a conversation.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

FW: Miss K is a master at controlling the topic, and trying to throw doubt at just about every comment I make.

Then you just have to do the same.

Ironically, those are two tactics of rhetorical debate, not critical thinking.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Best wishes.

Why pander to her fear of being asked questions and her fear of writing out her own answers in her own handwriting?

It may not be wise to allow her to make you do all the heavy lifting - she'll learn little or nothing, and maybe just grow a bigger ego.

My all time favourite: "please can you explain the gospel to me in one word and in writing?"

(Followed by "why not?")

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit