My Experience and how I finally let myself see the truth

by OneEyedJoe 80 Replies latest jw experiences

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

Great Post Joe, without going into to much detail right now. I have not been in the BORG very long and saw the lies early on, they just built up and built up.

I studied and did well early on the first few years. But, once I was made a MS...OMG it was an eye opener! This religion is not a religion at all...but a business. I Have heard any real credit given to Jesus! what a shame The generation crap was the final straw, what a crock of sh*t.

But, my wife is still blinded ( right now i can"t go into reasons she is so blinded). Our older son who is a teen and who was pretty much brought up in the BORG thinks it a croc and wants nothing to do with it..(smart Kid) younger son has seen the two faced people in the hall and will eventually see the real side. I don't and have never encouraged them to have any friends from the hall nor associate with people who are so lost in thinking that they might feed them the B.S thinking they have.

But, I am taking it slow with my wife. I have started a bible study with them as a family. Just the bible!!!!! no WT propoganda!!!

So for now i am just going through the motion, it's only a matter of time before the WTBS spouts off more stupid illogical new light changes.

Joe, be patient and never at no time show your cards until it is time.

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

I ment to say I Have not heard any real credit given to Jesus! I think Jesus is so important in our worship....because he is loving and forgiving!

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Another member checking in here whose story is very similar to yours! I think this is not coincidence. Being intellectually inclined means that we are more likely to spend time by ourselves dwelling on doubts than other JWs, and trying to reconcile logical contradictions. Also, being bookworms, and not extroverts, (if this does describe you too) we don't feel a lot of fear at the thought of losing the association of the congregation, even if we like many of the friends. As you've already recognized, it's different for others, like your wife. I haven't had to deal with that side of things myself, so unfortunately I don't have any good advice for how to help someone with that social dependency on the organization, but maybe Hassan's book(s) will help.

But yes, I spent most of my twenties engaging in increasingly convoluted theories and speculation in order to try to stay a Witness. One of the things that bothered me was that, when it came to subjects like evolution, the literature was making no real effort to represent both sides fairly. So I privately read a lot from the pro- and anti- camps, and ultimately I was left not knowing what to believe, so I put the issue on the back burner. But in the process of doing that research I had moved way beyond the elementary apologetics of the Watchtower to more sophisticated (more desperate) apologetics. After that, the literature just seemed pitiably simple when it dwelled on the subject. The reasoning often amounted to, "Isn't this butterfly amazing? CLEARLY GOD DID IT."

At the time, I thought I was doing this research and thinking through various objections in order to defend my beliefs against a hypothetical skeptical householder, but now I realize it was my own intellect crying out for me to let it spread its wings and fly.

I also believed for a long while that apostates were just embittered over personal experiences. It hadn't occurred to me to wonder why so many people could have had bad experiences in what was supposed to be God's organization. But of course, as long as our own experience as a JW is a positive one, we're not likely to be concerned when some unknown ex-JWs complain about their experiences, since we don't know the full story, and it seems so remote from us.

Gradually it dawned on me, though, that other JWs were truly afraid of any contrary information, and that made we wonder what apostates had to say. What could the truth have to fear from any information? At that point, it was just a matter of time before I came across some source of solid information that argued against "the truth". For me, JWfacts gave me all the information I needed to realize that the organization was clearly just a publishing company run by men who were making stuff up as they went along. I do think they are mostly sincere, and just very deluded. They can't understand why the end hasn't come yet, and will rationalize as much as needed in order to not let themselves see the truth.

Anyway, welcome! You're wise not to give away any further details. Newbies often over-share because they're glad to have a place that understands them. There is always a small chance that someone can be found out if they give too many personal details, or too many dates, like when they attended an assembly or gave a talk. But I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the topics we discuss here.

• dozy
    dozy

Thanks for sharing the experience.

Like others have said , I would take it gradually , especially as things have happened quite quickly in your situation. That being said - there is no easy way to leave this kind of organisation.

My wife didn't leave when I left - she was a typical "social" JW who wasn't bothered about doctrine - but her family & friends in "the truth" were all important and she couldn't see how she could give them up. It was only really when there were a lot of congregation problems a couple of years later & she was treated with a complete lack of love that she stopped attending meetings. Perhaps your wife might be the same.

You are wise in not opening up to any JWs. The big mistake I made was in confiding to elders & family that I felt I could trust that I had some concerns. WIthout exception - all betrayed confidences & any pretence of confidentiality went out the window. I had a supposedly private chat with an elder one evening & he "pillow talked" the whole conversation to his wife that evening - she gossiped to half the congregation & was on the phone sympathising to my wife the next morning. It sounds harsh but if you don't want to be DFd - trust no-one - especially if there are 2 or more witnesses. Remember that the loyalty of JWs , especially "appointed men" - is to the organisation before everything else.

As well as resources like this site & jwfacts , I found sites like www.exmormon.org very interesting. These show that the situation you are in is not uncommon & allows you to dispassionately see how people have been able to leave other cults. From a family perspective , Mormons being more family oriented than JWs , there is a lot of useful information there.

All the best & lucky guy at finding all this out at 29.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hi there, OneEyeJoe.

I woke up after 60 years of being a "faithful witness".

I am not an angry, rabid, foaming at the mouth "bad person".

I am a good person that was lied to for someone else's gain.

I am glad to see another thinking person wake up and post here.

Well done.

LoisLane

• steve2
    steve2

Wow - great first post! Hey joe you have had the courage and intellect to see more with one eye than most people care to see with two.

• Ocean1111
    Ocean1111

At this stage in "organizational" history Jehovah's witnesses are not even Jehovah's witnesses any longer as far as any semblance of the pre 1950 faith, it is now a "religion". Rutherford got that correct, all religion is a snare and a racket, and now the JW system is a clone of any other church, all the structural hierarchy and mind/behavior control mechanisms are present.

NONE of that bs was present in pre 1950s Jehovah's witnesses, I will say they used to be as close to first century Christianity at that time, IMO. You could go door to door with a pack of Lucky Strikes or Old Gold in your front pocket, no prob.

But now there are far more serious red flags in the org, and scandal and hypocrisy pale in comparison. IMO you may consider distancing yourself as fast as possibe from what is also a dangerous conduit "in times of emergency" "at that time", etc, compromise of truth and faith from the top down, is not all th Bethel system is up to. And if the leaders care not about true morality, where does it end?

Where those cases always end.

Liquidating a billion in global property investment assets, in four years, should tell a logical person a thing or two as to the orgs immediate future (and it is not "Armageddon" but for Bethel). Be careful, it is not a cult system now, now following human Pied Pipers for no reason at all, that's all I can say.

FLEE

The magnitude of the gradual transformation is now eclipsed by anomalous abruptions (BIG ones), and that is not coincidental. Do more research into other veins of Bethel corruption (it's out there), and get out ASAP. I will say spiritual danger can turn physical, and these tremors will lead to a far greater abruption soon.

Of course you have to make your own decision, but my advice is advice I have taken as well, within the last year.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Welcome OneEyedJoe.

Thank you for sharing your valued and well written perspective and for thinking of lurkers and their predicament.

My exit and thinking at the time was not nearly as well thought out, calm, rational, stable and balanced.

Actually the opposite.

I do envy you.

At any rate congratulations for being such a quick learner and taking on board ideas on how to be a better husband and person, to ease your wife's journey. She may not be as well resourced, and as you have pointed out emotion will be a factor to loving consider and deal with.

Best wishes all round

Fernando

South East Queensland, Australia

• KateWild
    KateWild

Welcome OEJ,

Thank you so much for your story. It's nice to read about experiences of those who have not been wronged, as so many of us see the hypocrisy first hand in our families and that gets us to look into our doubts further.

You are a nice guy with integrity. Have you read Crisis of Conscience, Ray Franz was a decent man with integrity also. You have plenty of time to do plenty of reading, but I truly recomend it, it helped me leave, as well as jwfacts.com and Steve Hassan.

Take one step at a time and I think it's really sweet that you want to be a good husband.

Thanks for the thread, it was encouraging to know JWs are waking up.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit