My Experience and how I finally let myself see the truth

by OneEyedJoe 80 Replies latest jw experiences

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

First off - for those lurkers who feel guilty just for being on this site and reading this (even if you don't read any further, as it is your right to choose that course) I want you to know that you're not alone in what you're going through or in what you are feeling. If you read on, I hope my experience may be of some small help to you.

This may be long, but I'll try to organize it in a way that doesn't make it painful to read. To start, I feel it is most beneficial if I'm upfront and honest with my goals from posting this, which are (in order of the degree to which they motivated me):

1. To demonstrate to any others who may be where I was a few years (even a few weeks) ago that they are not alone in their feelings of doubt and the resultant fear and guilt that that brings with it.
    2. I feel that I need to vent, and this is the only place that I feel is safe to do so.
    3. A little encouragement from people who have been there never hurts, so if I get a little of that out of this, I won't complain

Some background, and a further note regarding my motivation:

I was 'born into the truth' as the saying goes, and am currently 29. My parents both converted in their late teens after their parents began studying. They were married young and are still married. I think my parents did a generally good job of raising me, and I'm in no way bitter that they raised me as a JW. They (like most inside and outside of the JWs) were doing what they thought was best with what they had. I have never been wronged by any JW that I've known. The only ones that I feel have wronged me are the anonymous 'brothers and sisters' that have knowingly lied to maintain the hold that the organization has on its adherents. And there's no point in being mad at people that I couldn't hope to identify, as I feel it is entirely possible some even on the Governing Body feel what they are doing is right and genuine. My point for saying this is to dispel any thought that I've come to my recent understanding out of anger, or really any emotion. I feel it is important to make this point due to the common perception of those (even myself as recently as a few weeks ago) in the organization toward those who 'turn apostate.' I always believed what I was told - those who leave and slander the organization are just bitter and doing so for selfish reasons. I am not bitter and my reasons for writing this are honestly recorded above.

How I came to believe that Jehovah's Witnesses do not have 'the truth'

Rampant logical fallacy

All the way through high school, I never really strayed too far from being a good witness with good witness thoughts. I was lucky, and my parents supported me in my interest in science, even when I wanted to go to college to get a degree in computer engineering. I always had a passing interest in the sound use of logic, and classes that I took covered the topic as it applies to computers. Using logic and deduction to prove something interested me, and I began reading up on the different common logical fallacies in an attempt to help me to make sound arguments and proofs of ideas in every day life, including my defense of my religion as a JW. Before long, however, I began to notice wide use of logical fallacy in the literature. This frustrated me, because I knew it was the truth, and if it was the truth you shouldn't need to resort to flawed logic to convey it. I let this go, however, because after all the literature was written by imperfect man, and they were still doing good things. Even if they got something wrong, surely this was the closest thing to the truth that was out there; why risk my relationship with Jehovah by picking nits.

Discouraging education and controlling the information that is 'acceptable'

Over time, the many logical fallacies started piling up and I found that I constantly had to restrain myself mentally from arguing over seemingly minor things that didn't add up. It seemed odd, for instance, that we were banned from reading any so-called 'apostate' literature. I found myself wondering "If this is the truth, wouldn't any apostate claims about our beliefs or the organization be easily disproven?" Since I assumed that all apostates were just bitter about something done to them unjustly by an imperfect person, I didn't bother seeking out any information because I'm not interested in petty drama like that.

Eventually the organization seemed to begin stressing that children not pursue higher education. I always remembered hearing this point made - people shouldn't go to college without an idea of what they wanted to do (I remember stories of people with PHDs in history, that worked in a library) as that could waste your valuable time. However, the message seemed to switch to: don't go to college because it’s a trap from satan and people only do it because they are puffed up with pride and want to put letters at the end of their name. Furthermore, no one graduating from college actually needed their degree to get a good job, as on-the-job training is always superior. I knew both assertions to be patently false in my case, and it upset me to see the choices that I made for good reasons (after all, I was able to get a job that could support a family, and allow my wife to not work so that she could pioneer, which she did, but only briefly) attacked from the stage with absolutely no concession that some could benefit from my course. My wife suggested, though, that people generally don't know what they want to do at 15 as I did, and many may accept only strong discouragement. I let that satisfy me because I'd seen people waste their time in college only to drop out or achieve a useless degree. Even so, it ate at me little by little that the organization so consistently seemed to demonize any attempt to get any information from any outside source, despite their reliance upon 'earthly scholars' for many cases made in the literature, especially on the topic of history and biology.

Hipocracy in the claim to have a better understanding than other religions.

When exploring some of my thoughts about creation, I ran into another problem - the big bang theory had a certain elegance and simplicity to it that made it more attractive to me than the explanation using god. It seemed to me that the argument "humans are so complex that they must have a designer" fell off when you consider that designer must have been still more complex, therefore he must himself have a designer. Where does it end? When questions like this were met with "humans just aren't capable of understanding" or "you have to have faith" it sounded to me a lot like "it's a mystery." "It's a mystery" was of course a common phrase attributed to leaders of other religions to demonstrate that they didn't "have the truth" because they don't fully understand bible doctrine. This struck me as very hypocritical. This was how just about any question on the bible's potential failings ended but in spite of this I continued to hear other religions derided for not being able to explain the trinity, or the books of daniel and revelation, etc.

Final straw

There were many, many, other "straws" but the one that finally broke the camel's back was the explanation of the overlapping generation. I must've missed it presented in 2008/10, but I heard about it discussed incidentally and in conversations with my Father-In-Law. I always assumed it wasn't explained properly since it didn't seem at all reasonable to me, but at this point I lacked the motivation to prove it to myself through research and just let it be. When it was recently revisited in the WT study, it was like a slap to the back of the head. I just couldn't make the leap. Yes, I agree that a generation could mean a group of people who's lives overlap during a given time period, but there was no interpretation that could convince me that the given time period during which this overlap occurred could be anything other than 1914. Certainly not some nebulous time period sometime after that, but before the people alive at 1914 died. After that, I began to think critically about the fact that this has been going on for a while. I knew of at least 2 prior occasions in which the date of armageddon had been pushed off a little. The first being 1914, and then in 1975 (and I've since found that it's happened many other times). At this point I couldn't help but lose all faith in any prediction made by the organization. There was simply no evidence of them ever getting anything right. The only exception was WWI starting in 1914, but the prediction never said that a big war would happen in 1914, it was that the world would end, so they didn't even really get that right, they just got lucky. If WWIII broke out in 1975 would I still be holding on to that as evidence? Since I knew that I'd immediately be in for a bunch of back room meetings if I brought any of this up, I instead looked for some anonymous way that I could find an explanation that would restore my faith. Instead I found this site and jwfacts. After a few days and lots of reading, I've come to the inescapable conclusion that this religion is, in fact, a harmful cult.

Aftermath...

Now I'm left with trying to figure out where to go from here. My wife is not very zealous, but she can get very emotional about JW stuff. I've often mentioned small holes in the org's logic, and usually she lets it slide but sometimes she gets emotional (especially when I don't feel like going to meetings or in service). I'm a bit lost as to where to go from here for that reason. She's very close to her family, and I rather like them myself but could be OK with them shunning me. Neither of us have any close friends outside, but I've never been very social and could be fine without my current friends and even my family who I'm not very close to. Really the only person I need is her, and now I'm terrified that I'm going to ruin that. I'm also scared that I might be acting selfishly in my desire for her to get 'out' with me, even though I know rationally it's the right thing.

Whew! That ended up long. Sorry about that....

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you for sharing your story.

Wishing you and your wife all the best for a cult-free future together.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Your internal arguments remind me of sitting in a (regular) church, and listening to the pastor use one logical fallacy after the other to bolster his position. Indeed, it is an uncomfortable position, but once you call the naked Emperor out, there's no going back.

Simon, who developed this site, "went apostate" first, then after his wife saw that the Elders had no answer other than "Don't spread your doubts", she followed him. So there are happy endings.

Before making any moves I recommend reading Steve Hassan's latest book, to keep you from making newbie mistakes, to identify your wife's natural personality, and learn to speak to that part of her rather than the cultist part of her. You may not need a lot of social interaction, but chances are she does. You don't want this change to your marriage to be devastating.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Welcome,

Have you read Steve Hassan's books, so that you can hopefully help your wife wake up?

A poster besty started an excellent thread on waking up his wife that used a different, upfront approach. It worked, but may not be for everyone.

I wish you all the best. Great intro post.

Carpe Diem!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Thanks for the encouragment, all.

jgnat -

My wife definitely needs her network of friends more than I do, that's my biggest concern right now. I know she has her own doubts and I can tell when she's in a place to think rationally on them, but it's difficult to keep her there. I think she gets stuck in her cognitive dissonance and that's when she answers the threat to her world view with blind emotion. I definitely won't be acting rashly or suddenly (or probably at all until things settle in me for at least a few weeks) but I may read Hassan's book. I've looked at some of his site already, and may check out the book(s).

I think another part of the problem I'll have with my wife is that she's known a few who have been DF'd and all of them are an absolute mess both before and after. It will be difficult to get her to seperate leaving from having a mess of a life.

• jgnat
    jgnat

If you have been at Hassan's site I suggest you personally fill out a "case evaluation" form on behalf of your wife. You don't need to submit it or use the form, but please consider all the questions carefully. If you don't know the answers to some of the questions, ask your wife.

http://freedomofmind.com/Contact/formFamily.php

The act of filling out the form will help you have new insights in to your wife.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Knowing the truth will ultimately be the best thing you will ever have. It hurts like h*ll at first but healing cannot begin until the wound is cleaned.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Joe, welcome and thanks for a great first post. You've probably read several stories here of ones going through the problem of "I want out, but she's still in", most of which seem to prove the point that you will do best to read Hassan's newer book which helps you to get family members out without a revolt. It takes time and patience but I'm sure you would rather have her with you on the outside.

The good news (!) is really that a good fade is altogether different than being df'd. No one has to go out in a public pronouncement...

Best wishes for your successful new journey!

(((hugs))) to you both

• Londo111
    Londo111

Welcome, OneEyedJoe!

Does anyone else read this experiences hoping it's a long lost friend? I know I do.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Welcome! Many here have gone through the 'awakening' and have had issues with their mates. Not everyone is ready to fade or outright leave. If you have shared your thoughts with her and she's gotten emotional......... back off for now....... don't make it the center of your marriage. Show her love and respect and give her time.

As suggested check out people on this site who have faded or left and how they brought their mate around. It seems to me that those that lost their mates were insensitive how they went about it.

What you can do is be honest with her and let her know you will be taking a break from meetings and field service. Tell her the transition you are going through needs to stay a private matter, bringing family or the elders into your marriage re this religion would hurt both of you. In turn you will support any decision she makes about meetings and service.

Then with your new found time do more things for and with your wife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit