My Experience and how I finally let myself see the truth

by OneEyedJoe 80 Replies latest jw experiences

• Antioch
    Antioch

Hey Joe,

I tried to speed read the many messages here.

I too was born in and 29 when I left. I was an MS and a Reg. Pioneer. I also was drawn away due to the lack of rationality and logic in the dogma of the WT. However, when I realized I just had to go, and my brain was all fuzzed up, I just left. Like literally, packed up some stuff in my car when my wife was gone for the day, and left. I drove south to the mountains.

She and my family eventually found me. But I could not be dissuaded to come back because I knew that if I did, I would not be able to escape. My friends, job, family, wife, in-laws, etc. were all tied up in JWs. I had to get away.

I felt like if I went back with my wife she would convince me to stay in the JWs. I felt like I was not strong enough to do what I had to do with her undermining my effort to break free. Eventually, she got with a worldly man in her distress, and I became "free to marry." Time apart went on, she requested the legal divorce, and married a JW man. They have a child now.

My biggest regret is that I was not strong enough, smart enough, or just enough enough, whatever that is, to bring her with me. To stay out of the JWs, while still keeping us together.

I really, really, really regret that. She loved me. And I loved her. She was a fantastic wife. I will never find another woman like that.

My point is: Good job on breaking free. Be stronger than me. Keep your marriage strong.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think the big fear for the exiting JW is that their partner will reject them, once their true feelings are known.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Apognophos - you make some good points. I guess it's easy to see leaving as an urgent need...especially with all this listen, obey and be blessed crap combined with the obey even if it seems illogical stuff that's been ramping up lately. Visiting this site daily, with all the speculation probably doesn't help.

I'd be lying of I said my desire to get her out isn't partially motivated by my own desire to get out ASAP. It's difficult listening to all the bs and going recruiting with no outlet for my frustration. I guess that's part of why I post here, to purge a lot of it. I appreciate your viewpoint, it gives me something to think about. Thanks.

Jgnat - she's kinda difficult to get to open up on her hopes and dreams type stuff. I'm terrible at social interaction (aspergers) so I never really pushed. I guess I've got some work to do. Yes, a big fear is losing my wife. I have waves of insecurity, and that thought really compounds things.

Antioch - thanks for your words of encouragement. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but know that it wasn't your fault or some failing on your part that caused it. Cults are designed to create no-win situations for their victims, and that's just where you found yourself.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions, support, opinions, etc. It's all truly appreciated.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am rooting for you. I cheer when families leave together. Why should the WTS inflict more pain?

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I've enjoyed reading this thread, the advise, the personal experiences, and seeing people help Joe with a complicated puzzle.

I'm goign to thrwo my hat into the ring. I briefly explained before, but I stopped attending my last meeting a year ago. I was kind of mentally torchuring myself not even thinking leaving was a possibility for a couple years before that. Its been a long road. My wife heard me express doubts while we were serving in a foreign country as need-greaters after quitting our jobs and fitting everything we own in suitcases!

So that was our level of dedication. In fact, we were not treated harshly. We were the ones looked up to, taken care of, helped, spoken too, respected, on the parts, fastracked to whatever we wanted, and connected in branches and depts in the US and other places. The JW world was our oyster, and being about 29.....I liked it. My wife who had pioneered did too. This was the fast track.

I researched something on line regarding blood. When the fraction thing was announced and studied, I wanted to learn more. In doing so, I stumbled on articles and boards with dissenting viewpoint. I gbegan to defend JW's on a host of issues. I claimed to be a bible study, not an active JW. In doing so, I could play dumb, and when I didn't agree with something, be honest abotu not agreeing or not knowing.

A few people presented arguements that I simply had no answer for. Blood doctrine was wrong! In my mind that meand bloodguilt on thee hands of those that taught it. I thought of those who told stories of people that dies for their faith. I thought of the many people I had baptized....and their children. That was it. I was never loyal in my heart again. I expressed this to my wife.....and it was bad. She was scared. She told me to talk to the brothers. She even blamed me for ruining our lives.

Here is why I tell you that.

My wife hasn't been to a meeting in 6 months. She isn't sure on blood, but for her it was the SHUNNING that broke her will to remain blind. She felt it was coarse and unloving, and that in the end it did so much more harm than good. That coupled with her seeing me struggle to remain true to my conscious, and try to serve the hall.....showed her that her husband loved her and was trying not just for myself, but for her. I was honest with her, went throguh the motions more than I cared too, but I was reassuring, and we always said its ME and YOU. If we can't tell each other the things in the corners and dark places in our hearts, than we shouldn't have gotten married. If I can't talk to you.....who can i talk to!

THIS type of communication allowed for me to not push, but to introduce thoughts she may not have otherwise considered.

While we are still "in the closet" so to speak, we celebrated her birthday, plan to celebrate our young childs birthday, (and you know how the evil of birthdays just proves you are an apostate), and we openly discuss control, and how our friends minds are being messed with. She even went with me to an EX-JW meet up! She was shaking out of nervousness.

If my wife can wake up, (and she still struggles specifically because of familiy and friends), then ANYONE can wake up. Patience, and the ability to openly communicate is key. You have to set up the communication, and not overwhelm.

"Discovering" something can actually work. It can open up a discussion, where you have not taken a "side" of the conversation.

Anyways, that is pretty much it. I still hope my wife and i can continue to fade. The people that know she isn't going to meetings, even those she has done very kind things for, have basically just forgotten she exists. Its sad.....but its showing her whats up.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Join a gym together and go to a group class.

Lots of nice "worldly" people there who will eventually be destroyed.

Try to make some good friendships there.

om

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Thanks for sharing your story, problemaddict. It's one thing to know that there are happy endings out there, and quite another to get a first-hand account of one. Hopefully it's just a matter of patience and persistence. I've been stressed out about a bunch of other unrelated stuff I've got going on, and I think that's been making it more difficult to be patient, but everyone's support here in the last day has helpped a lot.

Open mind - I was actually just thinking along similar lines. I might try signing us up for a couples class of some kind...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Mine is a success story. After ten years, hubby has stopped attending meetings. I finally got smart and let him make up his own mind about things. In the meantime, I encouraged his natural personality to assert itself at every turn. So even if he was occassionally attending, I had my natural man at home. A win-win.

I would use phrases like, "You've always been like....", or, "Oh, honey, I remember when you used to...", or, "What makes you so special is when you...."

If he had a fit of guilts for missing a meeting, say, I would say I am sure that a wise and loving Jehovah would understand, and there's always next week.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

Oej. I really enjoyed your op. You conveyed your thought fantastically. I wish I had that same gift of pen. I don't have any brilliant answers for you as I am in much the same predicament as you. I know that I am going to give a lot of thought into when I will exit. Currently my wife is pregnant and my mother in law and father in law are in awful health. I think to throw my apostasy on my wife right now would just be too much. I think that apognophos advice is really interesting. At the current time my wife's life is prob easier with the Borg than it would be without. I can help to prevent our kids from being fully indoctrinated and if a blood issue does arise, I will be there to make sure wise decisions are made. This is of course for the time being. I cant imagine spending the rest of my life in this high control group. I wish you the best and thanks again for sharing your story.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Thanks for your tale, jgnat.

Ignoranceisbliss- you're too kind. I never thought of myself as being a particularly skilled writer. Perhaps having everything go unsaid for so long allowed it to become more organized as it came out. It was certainly cleansing to finally say it "out loud." You're a good man, putting the needs of your wife ahead of your own. I can't imagine how I'd react if I had a kid on the way when I learned TTATT. I suspect I'd find it difficult not to rush things and ultimately cause more harm than good. Your composure speaks volumes to your character, and I wish you nothing but the best in your journey. Do keep us updated as things progress.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit