Why do I bother to wake up in the morning?

by punkofnice 103 Replies latest jw friends

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Paul punk took a great deal of courage for untalented musisians to frighten the establishment...high unemployment and little future created a wonderful " positive" moverment ....the music lives on and if it meant anything it meant life with no jobs and no future can be great. I look out my window its spring and its wonderful...shame i now have a job, money and a wife and kid. :-)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

jhine - Thanks. That's kind of you. My lack of belief is based on my own experience. What you or others believe I do not hold in derision.....I have believed all sorts of spiritual stuff and it all turned to dust. If something obvious happened to convince me than I'd be the biggest believer ever.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Hey punky,

Sorry to hear that you had a dark day. I have many ups and downs too. Thanks for sharing. You are honest about getting out of the cult, you are not trying to tell everyone it's a bed of roses.

I am glad you had a nice skype chat with your girlfriend, it's nice that you have someone to support you.

Kate xx

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Sorry you're feeling down Paul. I've been there, depression, grief and so on. Last few weeks I've been pretty down but I think it's tiredness from stress. Pulling back from it all and just living in the now works for me. It's my day off so I've been to the gym and did a bit of gardening while the British sun lasted. It's gone now Get out in any sunshine you can and walk is my advice. Eat healthily and enjoy a glass of red wine in the evening. Hope you feel better soon.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Fighters, aye. Being born at the tail end of the boomers, we missed out in all the druggy-hippy fun. The great jobs were then sewn up by those same hypocritical yuppies. Now these zoomers are going to spend their pensions like there is no tomorrow and let their grandchildren pick up the tab.

So for us boomer-tailers, also known as the Jonses, we've had to tolerate being unheard and misunderstood. No-one asks us what our favorite music is. We just don't carry a market share. It has taken flexibility and ingenuity to get ahead. Now that I've reached the peak of my career, I am overrun by the next generation wave. It has been a hard lesson that my chief role is to mentor these upstarts to accelerate in to careers that took me a decade or longer to earn.

I have taken great comfort in following the career of Michael J. Fox of our generation, whose popularity ratings at times surpassed presidents. Who can't not love that guy?

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

jgnat

interesting post. I always liked Michael Fox i readhis autobiography and was dissapointed, but i am English and read it in a Swedish translation.

Anyway i liked your post. I am now living in a Swedish community, a place where people of all ages share, a football pitch, a art room, a restaurant, a cinema a pool table, a daily bingo for the elderly....its great and i think it shows geneations can live together and life can be fun in a community...

I exsperienced such a life in village outside affluent London in England, where people of all social standing chose to live on canal boats...it was great and there was a fantastic humun spirit of love...shared between a rich rock star and a alcoholic ex- English teacher of mine...

Yes people can live together as people and social status doesnt need seperate nor divide us...that PUNK is why i chooce to get up in the morning. I think this thread has proved my point, even if its only in hyper- space.

Paul long may Punk live...its people.

• jgnat
    jgnat

NH&H, I wrote that at my most cynical. I usually pick the sunny route. I do love living in small towns most of all because of the chance to get to know my neighbours of all kinds. I adored the rough-and-tumble miners in Grande Cache, the farmer's wives of the prairies I will never forget, and here in the city hubby and I must work to know our neighbours.

• jhine
    jhine

I know that life has kicked you Punk , but I am sure that you also have many" blessings " like your son and girlfriend , so easy to say , so hard to do but try to concentrate on those blessings . Spring is sprunging , flowers flowering , birds singing (too early sometimes ) sunshine cheers us up . Take time to smell the flowers , resist the urge to shoot the early birds , life can be good .

Jan

• kassad84
    kassad84

"this too shall pass", even the bad vibes we feel some days, the tricky thing is to ride it out even the bad, it will make us the stronger and wiser in the end if we don't bail out... you're not alone, i feel that depression thing too. it gets better, and it will feel nice to see all those white hairs around our heads one day knowing that we outlasted life - at least this side of life.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

I'm so sorry you feel like this. I myself am going through something similar, just can't seem to shake it off. I have decided to make a bucket list now.....ok, I have only got as far as writing "Bucket list" on top of paper and underlining it, but hey it's a start! Maybe you and M could sit down together and make a short achievable list, just 4 or 5 things to do say, before Xmas? Now that the weather is improving I think getting out helps too. You like QI....read Stephen Fry's incredibly moving account of how he battles with depressive thoughts. (name of book escapes me sorry)..I think you could find it helpful. Sending you best wishes from Wales.

Paula xxx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit