Is this new donation arrangement for real?

by nugget 324 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Marked

• Tech49
    Tech49

Edit: I was busy typing this before I saw Juan V's comments....seems my observations could be spot on.

Here is another thing that has not yet been explored, or brought up. Mentioned this earlier, but I have done Accounts for many years, for several different congregations.

Each individual congregation has an amount in "savings", or in their own bank account...IE Congregation Funds On Hand, at the end of the month. This amount varies with each congregation, from a few hundred $$, to several thousand or more. I dont recall it ever being written down, but I do remember the CO's recommending that the elders encourage the congregations to contribute to the "Local Congregation Fund", in order to build up reserves. The general rule of thumb was to try and keep around $10,000 on hand, so that every 10 or 12 years or so, a little facelift could be done to the KH (paint, carpet, minor repairs, upholstery if needed, usual wear-and-tear items) without going thru the hassle of the RBC. Even thought they were encouraged to send surplus funds as "Funds on Deposit" with WTBTS, they were to keep some liquid funds in the bank.

Then, if there were 2 or more congregations SHARING a KH, there is a Maintenance Committee... and they have their own bank account as well, for the same purpose.

So for a while, almost every congregation I knew of had at least $3000 on hand, many had much more, for just such purposes. Like you would do with your own house, right? When the carpet started to wear out, it got replaced. When painting needed done, it got done. Roof is shot? Bam, materials purchased and a weekend crew put it on, while the local brothers brought lunch stuff. Landscaping starting to get a little out of control? Fixed. No muss no fuss, nothing to get worked up about. The brothers on the Local Maintenance Committee got it done.

NOW, however, they will ALL be directed to send ALL funds to momma. No need to keep that pesky satanic cash just lying around! Not when we have granite countertops, gold faucets, and zebra-wood flooring to buy in Warwick!

And ps., please send your monthly donations in promptly, via the easy-to-use internet self-pay program, hidden in the bowels of JW.ORG Bank and Trust. And don't email us with your questions or concerns, because we dont have an email address.

Listen, Obey, and Be Blessed.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Quarterback - Have it your way. Check back in a year and see what happens. My contact has made it very clear that we haven't seen anything yet and changes over the next 24-48 months will make the WT look very different than what we know now.

JV

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Tech49 - it could be that the local congregation won't have to "send in their contributions to the WT." Since the WT will be co-owners of all local accounts (where local laws allow for dual ownership), they can just reach in and transfer the money themselves. Not all states or countries allow co-ownership of bank accounts, but the local KH could set up an automatic payment arrangement for a certain minimum each month and then send additional payments if there are more funds available.

JV

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

This is so sad. When will otherwise intelligent people (like my family ) wake up? Are they not paying attention, have their brain cells all withered and are no longer capable of reasoning? Guess this is some of what they were being prepared for when they were told to obey whether it makes sense or not.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Your welcome NewYork44M. That form was actually used this past year for solicitation of funds from congregations in Southern California for local Kingdom Halls according to a JW friend.

I'm sure a similar form will be used this next time. The difference will be that instead of begging for 'Local Kingdom Hall Fund' needs the wording will read something to the effect for the....'Worldwide Kingdom Hall Fund'.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I just got another email from my contact:

"Just got off the phone with a very deep insider. He told me that a form of 'theocratic tithing' was being discussed, but has been tabled for now. How would it work? Very simple and quite sneaky as well. One of the elders would be assigned the duty of sitting down with each family head and go over the family tax forms for the past year - the ones actually filed with the IRS or however it is done in other countries (remember some countries don't have direct income taxes like the US.) At first this would be entirely voluntary, but to refuse might be considered "resisting Jehovah or the holy spirit" or a sign of "spirtual weakness."

"In effect, the congregation would be 'tithed' but not at the traditional 10% expected by some churches (Mormons). The Watchtower leadership has taken note that churches that do tithe are often among the richest and their membership seems to be more dedicated (Mormons, some pentecostals, Scientology). They are trying to learn from their competitors who always seem to be unbelievably wealthy in spite of their often poor members. After all, what is 'everlasting life' worth. Would rank and file JWs risk their eternal lives by not giving what they promised - after all - Jehovah knows! You can't get past the all-seeing-eyes of the holy spirit. Observed from that point of view, and understanding how much crap JWs put up with already, it's almost a sure thing that the Watchtower can pull this off and totally get away with it."

He offered more - but it would be too far fetched for most of the readers and posters of JWN. So I will stop there and comment elsewhere.

JV

• Skinnedsheep
    Skinnedsheep

Juan thanks for the info. You have always been solid and credible in passing along info. I would love to hear more if you can share.

• Tech49
    Tech49

Juan Viejo2, you have a PM.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

One of the elders would be assigned the duty of sitting down with each family head and go over the family tax forms for the past year - the ones actually filed with the IRS

NFW!

Now that's unbelievably intrusive. But I guess it's really not that much different than telling people they can't talk to their own family members.

As has oft been quoted here: Let's review: It's a cult!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit