What Watchtower Belief/View Never Sat Right With You?

by minimus 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

the reasons for not celebrating a birthday seemed so weak to me and added to making childhood something that was unenjoyable. Endless meetings assemblies field service daily text studying the watchtower and personal study like being a miniature monk

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

For me it was the assemblies back inthe 1920's that were supposed to be fullfillment of Revelation. That was in one of the books we 'studied' in the 70's, and even then it seemed ridiculous. What would be the point of it, when virtually everyone who was there has passed away?

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Contrary to the Original poster, the blood thing always seemed right. If eating meat with little blood was wrong, then it would not have been given as a law back then, but it was. So the law applies to injesting whole blood, which means also transfusions.

Something that has always seemed not right is that we are to follow Christ's example in going door to door with the message. Or follow anything that the 1st century Christians did. They did what they did because that is the only thing they could have done. Why are we to follow their low tech ways?

The reporting of field service time and placements as if it is punching the clock or that it means something.

As to the destroying of all non-jws at armageddon: That didn't bother me because, being one, it wouldn't affect me.

I found it hard to accept that God allows hardships on people when he has the power to stop it when he is the God of love, but yet humans do things to stop evil with their limited powers. I never liked this defending of God no matter what.

• Ding
    Ding

Jesus = Michael seemed pretty tenuous to me.

Verses pulled from here and there with a lot of "reasonably" and "evidently" needed to get there.

Also "little flock" = 144,000.

Why not "little flock" = the 12 apostles or the "24 elders" of Revelation or "little flock" = all Christians?

Doesn't Revelation 7 indicate the 144,000 are all on earth right before the final tribulation?

If not, why do angels hold back judgment until they are sealed?

Likewise, 12 "symbolic" 12,000s = a literal 144,000 always confused me.

Hard to explain that one.

Inviting people to an annual "meal" at which no one partakes of anything only "makes sense" to a JW.

As I reflect back on it, the GB may measure the success of their indoctrination by the degree to which JWs accept the stranger teachings without question just because the "faithful and discreet slave" (whoever the latest "light" says that is today) says so.

• Splash
    Splash

As a youngster I could never understand how Babyon the Great fell in 1919.

*** re chap. 30 p. 206 par. 3 “Babylon the Great Has Fallen!” ***
    "So the restoration of spiritual Israel in 1919 to a radiant spiritual prosperity, which continues and expands to this day, stands as evidence that Babylon the Great fell in that year. No longer does she have power of restraint over God’s people. Moreover, she has come into deep trouble within her own ranks. Since 1919 her corruption, dishonesty, and immorality have been widely exposed."

For a start, BTG is more than just Christendom, and second, it is growing in size.
    If expansion is an indicator of God's blessing, then BTG is being blessed.
    And corruption? Dishonesty? Immorality? WT, where's your mirror?

It never sat comfortable with me - I knew it was a fabrication. The disbelief of that played on my mind and never left me.

Splash.

• Ding
    Ding

Splash makes a great point.

A lot of those "invisible happening" dates were hard to swallow, especially when you learn that the organization has changed them -- 1874/1914, for example.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

1: messed up views on sex that instilled guilt for normal desires and behaviour.

2: self righteous views that "we" are "probably" going to be saved, but a cute 2 year old child of a "worldly" person won't be because his parents are not witnesses?

Sickos

• blondie
    blondie

I was a child what I wondered about is why children would die forever for their parents' sins and that remained with me as an adult. The bible says that children would not die for the sins of their fathers (mothers?). Yet here is was and that even adults would die forever because they never heard the jw message of salvation even once and reject it.

• minimus
    minimus

That invitation to the lords evening meal was always stupid. Worst meal ever.

• Blackbird Fly
    Blackbird Fly

Blood & DF'ing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit