Eccentric Jehovah's Witnesses

by snowbird 58 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hi Syl:

Maybe not eccentric but a CO's dress code rules for sisters: Must wear hose but not knee-high boots. I was counseled on wearing a corduroy jacket. Perhaps this is more the arena of wacky rules.

CC

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks for the replies.

Sylvia

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Eccentric JWs? Isn't that redundant, or does Mentally ill better describe it?

I will always firmly believe that something has to be wrong with anyone who willingly follows the drivel they come up with.

I was a born in but never was interested in it. If folks don't see the light after awhile after they've been baptized, then they need psychiatric counseling for a problem they had way before becoming JW.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Ooooookkkkkkkaaaaaay, ShirleyW.

Sylvia

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Reminds me of many JWs I have known. The craziest were often the ones most devoted to the field service. I guess with few friends or family there was not much else to take up their time. I was always embarrassed that they were what people judge JWs by. No wonder few convert, and it was disturbing that Jehovah would have to kill so many people at Armageddon, because they did not listen to the "life-saving" message delivered by some wierd stranger on their door.

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL.

Sylvia

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

A pioneer elder I went in service with would throw older magazine pairs on the doormats of the not-at-homes.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

The craziest were often the ones most devoted to the field service.

I had a brother like that in my hall but to be honest he is the only JW I know that I have any respect for. He lived what he believed 100%. Literally every single person in our area knew who he was and knew Jehovah’s name because of him. If JWs actually believed the end was right around the corner they would all be acting more like that. The bible pretty much says you are going to look like a crazy person because of your preaching doesn't it?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The householders would usually offer us water, lemonade, Kool-aid, or soda pops, so no problem with finding something to quench our thirsts.

Did you say KOOL-AID?????? Arrrrrrgh!

One old sister was obsessed with death. She had photos of graves of friends on her mantelpiece.

She also is dead now.

• donny
    donny

One of the strangest ones I knew was a guy who was a ministerial servant in the first congregation i was associated with after becoming a JW. He was a ministerial servant and looked like a stereotypical nerd, i.e. goofy expression on his face and oversized glasses.

One day on field service I was assigned to him as a partner and we went an knocked on a few doors and then went to dump older magazines in the areas laundry mats. After a couple of hours of this, we went by his place for lunch.

As I walked into his apartment I noticed life-sized cutouts of C3PO and Indiana Jones in his living room. As I sat down in the living room I noticed a stack of National Geographic magazines on the end table to my right. As Leo prepared some ham sandwiches, I went through the National Geographic and noticed that they were from several different years.

What was interesting is that all of them featured articles that included pictures of various native cultures where the women went topless. I was still perusing his collection when he came back in.

I am not sure why he decided to share some TMI (too much info), but he looked at me and said with a nervous laugh, "I am a single brother and those magazines have kept me from committing fornication on many an occasion."

I was totally shocked when he said that and had no real reply other than "Well different strokes for different folks," and I changed the topic of discussion to what was coming up at next week’s Quick Build project.

I never told anyone else about it because I kind of felt sorry for him because he was so strange that I figured he would never hook up with anyone. About 2 years later he quit coming to meetings but I never found out the reason.

I was totally shocked when he said that and had no real reply other than "Well different strokes for different folks," and I changed the topic of discussion to what was coming up at next weeks Quick Build project.

I never told anyone else about it because I kind of felt sorry for him because he was so strange that I figured he would never hook up with anyone. About 2 years later he quit coming to meetings but I never found out the reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit