The Good News of The Kingdom - Gods Plan for Salvation through the Ransom (Help Needed)

by objectivetruth 51 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

When I first began Studying in order to "Make the Truth my own", there were a set of scriptures that perplexed me and motivated me to dig deeper.

The Scriptures are regarding the Resurrection of the Inhabitants of Sodom & Gomorrah.. see Jesus words Here - Matthew 10:15 - "Truly I say to you, it will be more endurable for the land of Sod′om and Go·mor′rah on Judgment Day than for that city." (Ezekiel 16:48 / Matthew 11:23 / Matthew 11:24 / Luke 10:12 )

Any time that I brought these Scriptures up to JW Friends and Family they would reply like this "Jesus was speaking in Hyperbole.. that is why he said It would be more endurable".. I would clarify and show them that it says "Will Be". I then discovered where they got this way of reasoning.

Watchtower 1988 6/1 30-31 Questions from Readers - Do Jesus’ words at Matthew 11:24 mean that those whom Jehovah destroyed by fire in Sodom and Gomorrah will be resurrected?

"In conscientiously responding to this question over the years, we have discussed Jesus’ words at Matthew 10:14, 15; 11:20-24; and Luke 10:13-15. A recent review of this suggests that these verses need not be taken as statements about the future for the people of Sodom/Gomorrah. Before we examine other Bible comments about the people destroyed in those cities, let us consider what Jesus said."

"A reexamination of Matthew 11:20-24, though, has brought into question whether Jesus was there discussing eternal judgment and resurrection. His point was how unresponsive the people in Chorazin, Bethsaida, and Capernaum were and how unlikely it was that they would reform even in the Judgment Day. Saying that it would be “more endurable” for Tyre/Sidon and Sodom/Gomorrah “on Judgment Day” was a form of hyperbole (exaggeration to emphasize a point) that Jesus need not have intended to be taken literally, any more than other graphic hyperboles that he used.

"Hence, Jesus’ saying that it ‘would be more endurable on Judgment Day for Tyre or Sodom’ did not necessarily mean that those people will be present on Judgment Day. He could simply have been stressing how unresponsive and culpable were most in Chorazin, Bethsaida, and Capernaum. We say most because some in Capernaum did accept Christ."

- End of Quotes.

This Method of Apostasy can be seen here :

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/lv/r1/lp-e/0/12979

5 How do false teachers operate? Their methods reveal a cunning spirit. Apostates “quietly bring in” corruptive ideas. Like smugglers, they operate in a clandestine manner, subtly introducing apostate views. And just as a clever forger tries to pass phony documents, so apostates use “counterfeit words,” or false arguments, trying to pass their fabricated views as if they were true. They spread “deceptive teachings,” “twisting . . . the Scriptures” to fit their own ideas. (2 Pet. 2:1, 3, 13; 3:16)

I was also told.. "You are worrying about small details too much, it is Dangerous to dig too Deep" Despite this I kept digging. Some of you may also think "Who cares about Sodom & Gomorrah, they were evil and Deserve Annihilation" - I now fully understand the Importance...

• cofty
    cofty

I don't follow the connection between your thread title and your comments on Sodom

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Why is it Important to understand whether or not Sodom & Gomorrah will be Resurrected?

First of all.. let's remove the Sodomites from the discussion, and focus on Resurrection.

Who exactly did Jesus Die for? Does his Death and the Ransom benefit all mankind (Including the Sodomites) or is the Ransom partial?

The Ransom and the Resurrection are both directly related. These two topics are the Primary messages relayed to us throughout the Bible and are encompassed in "The Good News of The Kingdom".

You cannot attend a meeting at the Kingdom Hall, without hearing this Scripture. Matthew 24:14 "And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations,and then the end will come."

As a Christian it is appropriate that "The Good News of the Kingdom" is a central focus of your life.. Christians follow Christ afterall.

Luke 4:43 - But he said to them: “I must also declare the good news of the Kingdom of God to other cities, because for this I was sent."

To Understand what The Good News of the Kingom is, lets refer to the Current Insight Book :

Good News - http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001743

"This refers to the good news of the Kingdom of God and of salvation by faith in Jesus Christ. It is called in the Bible “the good news of the kingdom” (Mt 4:23), “the goodnews of God” (Ro 15:16), “the good news about Jesus Christ” (Mr 1:1), “the good newsof the undeserved kindness of God” (Ac 20:24), “the good news of peace” (Eph 6:15), and the “everlasting good news” (Re 14:6).

An idea of the content and scope of the good news can be gained from the above designations. It includes all the truths about which Jesus spoke and the disciples wrote.

At Jesus’ birth the angel announced to the shepherds: “Have no fear, for, look! I am declaring to you good news of a great joy that all the people will have.”

Its Importance. The apostle Paul wrote with strong conviction about the provision for salvation that God had made through Jesus Christ. He declared that if anyone was to declare to the Galatians something beyond what they had learned, something that was actually a different teaching, “let him be accursed.” Then, pointing to the source of the good news that he declared, Paul stated: “Neither did I receive it from man, nor was I taught it, except through revelation by Jesus Christ.” (Ga 1:8, 11, 12) This strong declaration was necessary, for even then there were some who were trying to overthrow the true faith by preaching ‘another good news.’ (2Co 11:4; Ga 1:6, 7) Paul warned of an apostasy to come and stated that ‘the mystery of lawlessness’ was already at work; he admonished Christians to remember the purpose of the good news and to stand firm and maintain their hold on the spirit-guided traditions they had learned through the apostles.

- End of Quotes

If Jesus was sent to Earth in Order to Declare & Die for the Good News.. And Paul the likely Author of 40% of the New Testament.. Admonished Christians to "stand firm and maintain their hold" on this Good News.. Should it not be THE MOST important topic to us today?

To Be Continued...

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

If it was really all that important, don't you think JESUS would have said it more clearly?

Could it be that the translators wanted to make it difficult to understand so that people in religious power could twist and contort the meaning of scripture?

There is absolutely no difference between the ability the ORG has to interpret scripture and say it is the truth and the Catholic Church doing the same....resurrection and judgment day, both are the prods by which a religious person moves, one moves them to see their loved ones, the other moves them to see their loved ones...guilt and manipulation will move people to believe A LOT of stuff!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Could it be that you still have too much belief in the words of Watchtower, even quoting the Insight book " To Understand what The Good News of the Kingom is" ?

I won't go so far as to argue your Christianity, but it just saddens me when I read of people who basically have everything that Jehovah's Witnesses taught them still stuck in their mindset. It's like they are still JW's but without the shunning. That last part is great (putting aside shunning), but Man-o-Man, if you want to preach the good news, do you have to declare whether the people of Sodom, etc. will be part of the resurrection? Just preach the part of the topic you know for sure. (And please preach it away from me)

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Seperation - Jesus, did say it Clearly, to those ones that he intended to hear it. There is a Specific reason for this.. I'll post an article on my views of this soon.

1 Corinthians 2:6 - "We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing."

1 Corinthians 1:18 - "For the word of the -Torture Stake- is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

Matthew 13:34 - "All these things Jesus said to the crowds in parables; indeed, he said nothing to them without a parable."

Mark 4:10 - "And when he was alone, those around him with the twelve asked him about the parables. 11 And he said to them, “To you has been given the secret of the kingdom of God, but for those outside everything is in parables, 12 so that “they may indeed see but not perceive, and may indeed hear but not understand, lest they should turn and be forgiven.”

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Onthewayout - Thank you for your message. I do quote from the Insight book and the New World Translation, and any other WT publication as often as I can.

If you would like to know why I choose to do this please free to PM and I will explain.

Even though many of their teachings are flawed.. this does not mean that Everything that they write is incorrect.

May I ask, what is your view point of the Ransom?

What do you believe the meaning of 1 Timothy 4:10 is?

" For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe."

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Not taking the bait. Good day.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Ever Since God Declared his plan of Salvation in Genesis 3:15, there have been 2 Constants.

1. Satan has attempted to Abolish or Obscure this Plan.

2. God's Servants have fought for this message, and often given their lives for it.

One example of some of God's Servants fighting for this Good News message is found at 1 Timothy Chapter 1

As a side note.. Often the Watchtower used this verse to Condemn "Apostates" and "Foolish Questioning".. A prime example of this is found in the 2009 Watchtower 12/15 pp. 11-15

"16 During his stay in Ephesus, Timothy’s faith was put to the test. Certain ones were promoting doctrines that were not in harmony with Christian truth. Others were spreading “false stories” or researching ideas that contributed nothing to the congregation’s spirituality. (Read 1 Timothy 1:3, 4.) Paul described such individuals as being “puffed up with pride, not understanding anything, but being mentally diseased over questionings and debates about words.”

There is a Very Big Difference between "Promoting Doctrines not in Harmony with Christian truth" and "Researching ideas that lead to nothing". I will show that Paul's primary concern was upholding Christian truth involving The good news of the kingdom.

Paul has to leave Ephesus and Travel to Macedonia, so he writes a Letter to his Fellow Servant Timothy.

1 Timothy 1:3 - "Just as I encouraged you to stay in Eph′e·sus when I was about to go to Mac·e·do′ni·a, so I do now, in order for you to command certain ones not to teach different doctrine"

1 Timothy 1:15 - "This saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.Of these, I am foremost.

Commentary from Barnes Notes on the Bible - http://biblehub.com/commentaries/1_timothy/1-15.htm

"The word rendered "saying," means in this place doctrine, position, or declaration. The word "faithful," means assuredly true; it was that which might be depended on, or on which reliance might be placed. The meaning is, that the doctrine that Christ came to save sinners might be depended on as certainly true; compare 2 Timothy 2:11; Titus 3:8."

And worthy of all acceptation - Worthy to be embraced or believed by all. This is so, because:

(1) all are sinners and need a Saviour. All, therefore ought to welcome a doctrine which shows them how they may be saved.

(2) because Christ died for all. If he had died for only a part of the race, and could save only a part, it could not be said with any propriety that the doctrine was worthy of the acceptance of all. If that were so, what had it to do with all? How could all be interested in it or benefited by it If medicine had been provided for only a part of the patients in a hospital, it could not be said that the announcement of such a fact was worthy the attention of all. It would be highly worthy the attention of those for whom it was designed, but there would be a part who would have nothing to do with it; and why should they concern themselves about it? But if it was provided for each one, then each one would have the highest interest in it. So, if salvation has been provided for me, it is a matter claiming my profoundest attention; and the same is true of every human being. If not provided for me, I have nothing to do with it. It does not concern me at all.

End of Quote

In the Final verse.. we can understand what this Doctrine was (is) and what false Doctrine was being promoted.

1 Timothy 1:20 - Hy·me·nae′us+ and Alexander are among these, and I have handed them over to Satan+ so that they may be taught by discipline not to blaspheme.

It does not say what Hy·me·nae′us and Alexander were promoting, To Blaspheme is a VERY SERIOUS sin. No human can say if this Blaspemy was the Blasphemy mentioned in Mark 3:28, but all will agree that it is a Serious Error.

From other Scriptures in the New World Translation Bible and The Insight book we can better understand this Blasphemous Doctrine being Promoted by Hy·me·nae′us and Alexander.

Insight Book - http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002120

Hymenaeus - An apostate from Christianity during the first century, Hymenaeus was identified by Paul as a blasphemer, full of “empty speeches that violate what is holy.” In his deviation from the truth, Hymenaeus, along with a certain Philetus, taught false doctrine, subverting the faith of some. One of their false teachings was that ‘the resurrection had already occurred’ in their day.

(According to this same article Hymenaeus was also Disfellowshipped! "In Paul’s first letter to Timothy, Hymenaeus’ name is associated with another apostate, Alexander. The apostle states that he had handed Hymenaeus and Alexander “over to Satan,” evidently referring to Paul’s expelling or disfellowshipping them from the congregation.")

- End of Quotes

As for Alexander, No one knows for sure if the Alexander is 2 Timothy 4:15 is the same.. but it seems possible, of him it was said "15 You too should be on guard against him, for he opposed our message to an excessive degree."

From this Chapter we Better understand 2 Things.

1. Paul & Timothy guarded the "Good news of the Kingdom" fervently. They Guarded it to Make sure that no one altered the Truth of it. Anyone that did alter the Truth of this message was Considered a Blaspehmor and an opposer / Apostate.

2. The message that Hymenaeus was Falsely teaching was in regard to the Resurrection. (When it would take place and to whom the Resurrection benefited)

As God's Servants today.. It is very important that we are as the Borreans.. Acts 7:11 says of them " they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so. "

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Any Jehovah's Witness today can benefit from the Example of The Bereans.

There are some Similarities between the events in Acts 17 & todays governing body.

Both Paul & The governing body, claim to be chosen by Jehovah, and showed truth through the Holy Spirit & Jesus Christ.

Paul claims that he received a Revelation by Jesus Christ, the governing body asks us to follow their sirections as we would "the voice of god".

Paul - Galatians 1:12 - "for neither did I receive it from man, nor was I taught it, but it was through a revelation by Jesus Christ."

governing body - Watchtower 2010 Jul 15 pp.22-23 - "When the time comes to clarify a spiritual matter in our day, holy spirit helps responsible representatives of the faithful and discreet slave at world headquarters to discern deep truths that were not previously understood...

Watchtower 1973 Jul 1 p.402 - Consider, too, the fact that Jehovah's organization alone, in all the earth, is directed by God's holy spirit or active force. (Zech. 4:6) Only this organization functions for Jehovah's purpose and to his praise. To it alone God's Sacred Word, the Bible, is not a sealed book.

Watchtower 1957 Jun 15 p.370 It is vital that we appreciate this fact and respond to the directions of the "slave" as we would to the voice of God, because it is His provision.

- End of Quotes.

There is one Significant difference though.. Paul gives us a Reasonable Warning..

Galatians 1:8 - "However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to you as good news something beyond the good news we declared to you, let him be accursed."

The governing body has taken a different approach http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2014367 :

"If we are to have Jehovah’s favor and blessing as individuals, we must support his organization and accept adjustments in our understanding of the Scriptures."

Different Messages indeed, but that does not mean we have to Reject the message from the governing body.. We can accept the word with the greatest eagerness of mind.. As long as we also Carefully examine the scriptures daily to see whether these things are so.

Let's Examine Acts Chapter 17

Acts 17:2 - So according to Paul’s custom he went inside to them, and for three sabbaths he reasoned with them from the Scriptures.

Paul reasoned from the Scriptures.. He did not reason from "The Bible & Other Bible Based Publications"

Acts 17:10 - "Immediately by night the brothers sent both Paul and Silas to Be·roe′a. On arriving, they went into the synagogue of the Jews."

Paul and Silas are now preaching to the Bereans.

Acts 17:11 - Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·ni′ca, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

- "these were noble-minded" means they were more disposed to inquire candidly into the truth of the doctrines advanced by Paul and Silas.

- "they accepted the word" meaning They listened attentively and respectfully to the gospel. They did not reject and spurn it as unworthy of examination.

- "carefully examining the Scriptures" That is, the Old Testament. The apostles always affirmed that the doctrines which they maintained respecting the Messiah were in accordance with the Jewish scriptures. The Bereans made diligent and earnest inquiry in respect to this, and were willing to ascertain the truth.

- "daily" Not only when they were in the Synagogue, but Constantly. (Deuteronomy 6:7)

- "whether these things were so" Whether the doctrines stated by Paul and Silas were in accordance with the Scriptures. The Old Testament they received as the standard of truth, and whatever could be shown to be in accordance with that, they received.

Through this Scripture, Jehovah is giving us very good counsel. He is telling us All Doctrines taught by any man or organization should be closely examined and compared with the scriptures. The teaching is worthless if it cannot hold up against the scriptures. (Not Just one Hand Picked Scripture ALL Scriptures) Every representative should expect and welcome his doctrines to be examined in this way, and to be rejected if they are not in accordance with the Word of God.

Paul did not become upset and throw these men out of the Synagogue if they had doubts.

Even Jehovah accepts challenges and questions. Job 1:9-12

The question we should ask ourselves is.. What might it mean if a Teacher of God's word does not welcome Questioning and Challenges? Is it possible that this Teacher has something to Hide?"

What if this Representative made demands such as these..

December 15,2013 WT - If ever someone attending our congregation meetings would try to entice us into discussions of personal speculations or critical conversations, we should definitely be on guard.

Kingdom Ministry 9/07 p. 3 Question Box - Does "the faithful and discreet slave" endorse independent groups of Witnesses who meet together to engage in Scriptural research or debate? -Matt. 24:45, 47. No, it does not. And yet, in various parts of the world, a few associates of our organization have formed groups to do independent research on Bible-related subjects....

If we Examine the Scriptures, but the Scriptures have been Manipulated.. how can we ascertain the Truth of the Good News?

Next we will Consider an Important Scripture Proverbs 30:5,6-

5 Every saying of God is refined. He is a shield to those taking refuge in him. 6 Add nothing to his words, Or he will reprove you, And you will be proved a liar.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit