Thanks WTBS for changing the Kingdom Songs, you freed me!

by StephaneLaliberte 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

It was the beginning of the end for me back in 2008 when I suddenly realized that after a lifetime as a JW and a stint in Bethel, I had somehow missed the lyrics of song 126 " Jehovah is on my side" r I was stunned that I had never heard these lyrics before and wondered how they could have even gotten published.

I know that in this crucial hour
    My faith will yet be tested.
    Around me swarms the Devil's crowd
    Like bees that were molested.
    But I can ever beat them off
    Beneath divine protection.
    On those who love to bear his name,
    God sets his deep affection.

People were actually snickering the last time I heard this song sung at the Hall. After the song was over, an old German sister turned said outloud in her heavy German accent, " Yaaa...za peeple in za verld are like bees zat have been molested "

Everyone started laughing and she couldn't understand what was so funny. But like Ecan6, It was the ridiculous lyrics of a Kingdom Melody that made me realize how much I had been "ignoring" and was part of how I began my exit from the organization.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

How many professionally trained musicians on here can even stand the constant consecutive fifths and octaves, the dreadful parallel 7ths, false relations, crossing of parts and other abominations.

Did an amateur write those piano accompaniments, or a very clever satirist?

Give me arch catholic composer Palestrina any day. His settings of the psalms and other scriptures beat anything these clowns churn out. I get more of a spiritual KICK from his Missa Papae Marcelli (the Kyrie Eleison) than any amount of droning kingdumb songs at a$$emblies.

HB

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

I agree, the new songs are horrible. We were actually informed by an elder than many of the songs were rewritten to remove the influence of that wicked Ray Franz...

Data-Dog, I laughed and laughed at your lyrics...now I just have to be careful not to sing them around certain family members. Thanks for the smiles!

• DNCall
    DNCall

Having been involved in the early stages of the new song book, I usually contribute to these threads. I don't want to repeat what I've posted elsewhere except to say that the only positive aspect I see in the new book is that it contains fewer songs.

Another thought occurs to me in connection with the OP and this goes to human nature.

We all naturally associate memories with music. The quality of the music doesn't matter so much. Each generation has "its music." And, probably since the beginning of time, the older generation has berated the music of the younger generation.

The present generation of Witnesses will be connecting their memories to the music of the new songbook and should the organization survive long enough to produce yet another new songbook, the present generation will rail against any changes contained in that new songbook.

And so it goes . . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit