Thanks WTBS for changing the Kingdom Songs, you freed me!

by StephaneLaliberte 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Yesterday, I saw a picture of a family signing kingdom melodies together. It made me realize a fact that I am somewhat ashamed to admit:

For over a decade, I have been aware of the false prophecies, the deceptive statements, the lack of scriptural support for many core practices and other issues with the Witnesses. Yet, I would find various excuses for all of these.

As I was raised in the truth, I had associated some of my best family memories to various theocratic activities. As a result, some kingdom songs could bring back nostalgic memories of my family happily going on a road trip, or being united in worship at an assembly, etc. I even recall deliberately not signing at some meetings so as to hear everyone else and bath myself in nostalgia. Sometimes, I would even cry over it.

Thanks to the WTBS though, this all came to an abrupt end when some of my favorite kingdom songs were changed. There are some songs in there that, to me, were classic. Would it make sense to change the lyrics and melody of a classic like the Beetles’ “Yesterday”?

I felt violated and angry that they would change things so much without asking anyone about it. And it was then, and only then that I stopped finding stupid excuses for every bad things they were doing.

So there you have it: It was not the heroic power of my willful mind that brought me out, but the simple severing of a strong emotional tie lead by the change in the kingdom melodies. - I'm a week week man.

• snowbird
    snowbird

It's not always the big things that can be jolting; seemingly small things can have the same effect.

I haven't heard many of the new ones, but the ones I have heard sound terrible.

What in the world? Why would they do that?

I've been out for some time now, yet, I still find myself humming "Daily Walking With Jehovah," "Christ Our Exemplar," "Move Ahead," etc.

I came into the organization in 1974 from a previous Baptist background where we sang the old hymns and spirituals a cappella. I memorized ALL the Kingdom Melodies from the little purple? songbook. When the new songbook came out in the 80's, I memorized those, too.

Doesn't the WT realize that memories are tied up in such things? Don't they realize that people are not things with which to be experimented?

What is wrong with them???

Sylvia

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

My eventual exit resulted from a slow, gradual, 'death by a thousand cuts.' Singing Kingdom songs often helped make the meetings a little more tolerable for me. When they changed them and mangled the old favorites (even ones I wasn't particularly fond of personally but had been standard fare for as long as I'd been alive and longer), that was a significant 'cut.' Not only were statements from the stage and audience a source of irritation, but now so were the songs. No redeeming features left to want to attend for. I'm with you, ecan6.

• snowbird
    snowbird

A month ago, I had to borrow my JW sister's car.

There was a cd of the new songs in her player and, boy, were they depressing!

No joyousness, no lightness, no hope.

I didn't want to remove the cd, but I sure was tempted.

Sylvia

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Here is Kingdom song for you! Remember the tune?

We're Jehoober's Witlesses

Long ago a guy named Chuck

Went to Egypt, tried his luck.

1,600 furlongs.....???

God said , " What the @*&%!!???"

Though he tried he could not see

What the future days would be.

He sent out books from here to the sea

should have stuck with the Habadashery!!!

Chorus

We're Jehoober's Witlessess

We are all scared sh**lesses

We worship some jerks called the GB!!!!!

They are all Bat-sh** crazyyy!!!

Next comes some guy called DA' Judge

He was a douche and held a grudge

Olin Moyle rebuked him,

Still he would not budge!

He was much more scarier

He would chew your derriere

Two giant cars and one kickass crib

David never showed, it was a fib!!

Chorus

We're Jehoober's witlessess

We're a bunch of nitwittsess!

No higher learning, crap salaries!!!!

I was touched by L. Greenlees!!

Next comes Freddie and his crew

The unsuspecting, they will screw

Sell off all your houses, what a fine thing to do!!

Bethel's full of strong young men

Wrestling in their rooms again

They aren't allowed to have fun or dance,

they can drink in the steam- room with no pants!!!!

Chorus

We're Jeehoober's Witlesses

We are friggin misfitsess

Ours is the Org of false prophesy!!

The END will be soon hopefully!!!!

DD

• snowbird
    snowbird

ROFL at Data Dog.

As Mammy would say, "You is a bad un."

Sylvia

• losingit
    losingit

I only memorized 2 songs while in. My favorite was "Life Without End, At Last". When they changed the lyrics to that song (and some of my other favorites that I had not fully memorized) I remember feeling a bit lost and confused. I was already feeling down about meetings, but couldn't pin point the problem. Then the change. Even my oldest at the time noticed the change. Meetings felt even more pointless.

• baltar447
    baltar447

I was on the fence but the songs were also almost the final nail in the coffin for me the final one being the overlapping generation nonsense. I told my elder jw father that i felt like all the joy and life had been sucked out of the songs. Of course the excuses made(repeatedly at meetings) were not that yes, the songs sucked it was of course the rank and file just was the problem and wasnt used to singing them.

Can anyone going attest that the dubbies have gotten better at singing these piles of garbage?

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Wow something that small can break mind control and wake a person up!

Everyone has nagging doubts but it is usually one thing that stand out that really gets to a person.

It is the breaking point before they run to the door and swear to never return.

Who would guess that changing lyrics would break the hold the WT has on people.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The songs are devoid of any spirituality. They are just part of the mind numbing "program" of brainwashing. In answer to Baltar's question, the JW singing is still horrible. It's because the songs actually suck the life out of you. It's hard to sing well when you are losing your will to live.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit