Thanks WTBS for changing the Kingdom Songs, you freed me!

by StephaneLaliberte 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

TD: Ds is for real.

The previous song book (1984) had even more references to the faithful slave!

Song 51: Your slave, so faithful and discreet,
    Song 114: Us he gave the faithful slave, Him a grand commission gave,
    Song 118: His steward, so faithful, serves him so well, And as a result, there peace does now dwell.
    Song 156: When he sent the faithful, wise slave,
    Song 203: His faithful steward keeps us well-informed, And by such loving care and guidance, our hearts are warmed.
    Song 223 : This faithful servant class, Now the other sheep do feed

• TD
    TD
    The previous song book (1984) had even more references to the faithful slave!

Was that the brown one? The last one I clearly remember was pink

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Strange... I can't recal of a pink one...

I do remember a brownish one though. The 1984 release stroke my imagination when I was young because of the picture of the priest on the inner back cover that was visibly signing very loudly - it made me laught.

• TD
    TD

I can't recal of a pink one...

--Well whatever you would call this color....

• Laika
    Laika

And then there's Song 87, the wedding song, Now we are one:

This is at last bone of my bone,

Flesh of my flesh; now I'm not alone.

God has provided a partner,

Someone to call my own.

Now we are one; now we can be

All that Jehovah made us to be.

As man and woman together,

We are a family.

Ev'ry day we'll serve our God above.

As he shows the way,

Unfailing love we'll display.

As we have vowed, so may it be.

Seasons of joy, may we come to see.

Oh, may we honor Jehovah,

And may you always be my love.

Because there's a way to make people in an 'unwedded state' (Ref: Song 85) feel good at a JW wedding.

• Laika
    Laika

There must be a lot of talented JWs who could write great (or at least better) songs, but JWism is so tightly controlled they prefer to have everything written from the top, even when they're clearly not capable.

'We thank you Jehovah' is the song they used to finish off almost every Convention and it always created a special atmosphere, which I think is because it was an actual song of praise to Jehovah, whereas most of their songs are more about doctrine than worship.

Not any more though, they mangled that one too. *sigh*

• fredPotato
    fredPotato

ecan6, oh I can relate to what you're describing...

The changed songs were one of the driving factors towards my awakening as well!

I can clearly remember the convention where they introduced the new song book... when they played through the sound system those sample clips, I was shaken from my foundations in a bad sense. I immediately got a really bad felling of dying inside. As many have reported, songs would bring us some nolstagic feelings linked to positive experiences with our relatives and our brothers and sisters.

This WT 2.0 (aka JW.org) has ruined those links and those memories.

I can tell you that this was the very first thing to trigger my awakening.

As I'm from a portuguese speaking country, I can say with authority that the new songs are really bad, and that their translation is even worse! They do not make any sense, are ridiculously simple and numb, and for the majority of the songs doesn't quite fit the melody timing. We frequently run into an embarrasing situation where people simply mumble words cause they don't fit the melody.

The previous song book (that some of us grew up with) had a better melody and was translated into portuguese by a brother that was supposedly a musician and a poet. So the lyrics were really deep in meaning and were beautiful to sing to.

The new songs are CRAP.

I am still attending some meetings with my wife, but I can tell you that the most irritating part of that meeting is the part people sing those songs...

The new songs are CRAP.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

TD, I could not have expected a better answer! Sounds to me like this one was even older then the one I grew up with. I know that for the one that I grew up with, it had a lot of songs that had not been modifed and that they added more songs in the song book.

This time around however, they changed everything.

• toweragent
    toweragent

1944: Kingdom Service Song Book (Red)

1966: Singing and Accompanying Yourselves With Music In Your Hearts (Pink)

1984: Sing Praises To Jehovah (Brown)

2009: Sing To Jehovah (Greenish-Yellow)

• TD
    TD

1950: Songs To Jehovah's Praise (Green)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit