Thanks WTBS for changing the Kingdom Songs, you freed me!

by StephaneLaliberte 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• losingit
    losingit

Great song, Data-Dog!

Here's one way that somebody has a foot already out the door of that &%$# KH-- they STOP singing the songs!

I was silent for 2 years. Just could not bring myself to sing a word, or even hum along!

• SecretHeart11
    SecretHeart11

I agree. All these changes; new Bible, new "language" with all the change in terms, new songs, new doctrines, different meetings. There isn't much left for people to feel connected to. I was recently at a stadium where we used to have our conventions years ago before there was some mysterious falling out and then we ended up having to drive much, much farther. I was totally overcome with nostalgia. Not because of the programs, in fact I can't remember one single word from any talk, just things like getting my new dress, or playing tic-tac-toe with my friends during the program until we got caught, or walking around at lunch time, volunteering to clean the bathroom during the session so it was less sitting time. But I think after family / friend ties a big reason why people stay in is nostalgia. It's almost unrecognisable to be at a meeting now, even out for a few years. It kind of breaks the emotional attachment to and ritual of it.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I recalled being invited to a meeting by some friends after i had stopped attending for a while. Meetings starts and i pull out the old song book and start singing and realize that i'm singing something completely different because i didn't know the the song book had been replaced.

I wonder about why they changed it. Perhaps there was something in the old songs which was potentially embarassing, but i personally think it was financial. By releasing a new book, they know that most JWs will donate something in return and that means profit.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

As long as they still sing about beating off those molested bees

• TD
    TD
    As I was raised in the truth, I had associated some of my best family memories to various theocratic activities. As a result, some kingdom songs could bring back nostalgic memories of my family happily going on a road trip, or being united in worship at an assembly, etc.

I only attended meetings for a few years as a young man 35+ years ago. As bad as they were, those old songs still bring back memories of relatives who are now long gone; nostalgia for my home town; longing for what in retrospect seems like happier times; the optimism of youth, etc.

I can see how it would affect you to have that rug suddenly yanked away. It would sever your emotional connection to the faith.

It does show you that the leaders and policy makers really have no clue how the human mind works, and don't appreciate that religious belief is much more than abstract teaching.

• toweragent
    toweragent

ateograciasadios: I agree 100%. I really beleive the new Kingdom Songs are reproduced by a MIDI keyboard or some type of synthesizer. I've never heard any self-respecting piano player sound that bad!

Take the Victory Song for example (Song 171 and 132), it's my personal favorite, and the piano player put flare and feeling into the music of the 1984 recordings. (Well, as much as he was allowed to at the time.) But now, the computer synthesized version (midi) is just numb to any human emotion.

And lyrically it's been chopped of most the scriptural references in Exodus 15. Now there are terrible lyrics that say "Doom now awaits them, they will not survive Armageddon!" How disturbing! Can't imagine how weird it will sound when we all sing that line together on the last day of our Regional Convention! Might make some of the worldy people look at us kinda funny.

Maybe DNCall can shed some light on the real piano player vs MIDI piano thought?

Cheers

• losingit
    losingit

I heard a rumor that the reason why they changed the songbook is because they would then have to apply for a copyright on the lyrics and the music. Apparently, according to the rumor, that was too expensive and time-consuming to do so they preferred to change up the lyrics and the tunes.

That's what I heard.... don't know if it's true....

• snakeface
    snakeface

Yes I too noticed the abrupt shift int he mood of the songs. They used to reflect emotion, love for Jehovah as a real person, and various other emotions. But the new ones are just emotionless chants. They remind me of the chants used by soldiers as they march along.

• BU2B
    BU2B

The sad part is that although most of the JWs probably feel like we do about the new songs, most would never admit it. They would not question the "food".

I cannot bring myself to sing these new songs. If they only had songs about displaying christian qualities, faith in Christ etc It would be bearably. For some reason they feel the need to insert FDS and doctrine into most of the songs. Also from a musical perspective, the melodies are inferior to the last book.

• prologos
    prologos

some of these new songs are UGLY, they have DOWN'S syndrome (not trying to to complement the sufferers).

some of the songs have up to 7 accidentals, key signatures, (the little symbols before the notes) on and below the lines, a night mare.

we know who is behind this and it does not suggest we are going to get delightful teachings along with these somber, depressing musical, but not amusing moods.

give us the likes of "God ave the Queen" DL, "pomp and circumstance" bach, the beatles instead

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit