Question to atheists: if there is no creator/god---

by prologos 92 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Once you deal successfully with your possibly higher competitors, it easy to dismiss the lesser ones.

That is a strawman.

If there is the slightest scrap of evidence for other intelligence nobody will be more excited about it than me. Until then, there is so much to learn about reality.

• Viviane
    Viviane

There seems to be a lot of misconception about what being an atheist is on this thread.

• prologos
    prologos

Am I wrong to say that an atheist is a person that is convinced that there ia no creator? or is it 'that there is 'no God' only?

is there a word for a 'non-believer in a Creator', for technically an 'a- THEIST' carries the limiting greek word for God: Theos ,-and the greek gods were not creators of the cosmos, but creators of mayhem.

• cofty
    cofty

An atheist is unconvinced by the grandiose claims of theism, bored by the irrelevance of deism and can't understand why agnostics think "I haven't decided yet" deserves a label.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

An agnostic has decided: he has decided that "I don't know" is the only honest position and that he has reached the end of his journey, notwithstanding any new information that might lead to another conclusion

• suavojr
    suavojr

cofty said:

An atheist is unconvinced by the grandiose claims of theism, bored by the irrelevance of deism and can't understand why agnostics think "I haven't decided yet" deserves a label.

Why can't you understand agnostics haven't decided yet? I am sure you did not wake up overnight and say I don't belive in God anymore

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

He's right, though, "undecided" is just "undecided". An agnostic denies the possibility of even being able to come to a decision because of the limitations of knowledge.

• prologos
    prologos

It is one thing to talk about our states of minds on the question, it's another to do so while ignoring the elephant in the room.

I am not concerned with the grandiose claim of creationists, which seems to boil down to "and we are representing the creator"

a claim as grandiose( even if unintended) of atheists, 'we are the highest intelligence (just watch us develop further)'

why not coin an appropriate term for a 'denier of any creator possibility'? you might make into webster next year.!

• prologos
    prologos

as scotoma mentioned, the statement "I believe there is no higher intelligence then us" or "I am an atheist" does not imply ARROGANCE of the utterer, but

that what it comes down to, when you consider the ingenuity it takes to find out how dumb, haphhazard nature worked, works. so

no dispariging intend was used in trying to label atheists.

• smiddy
    smiddy

if you are sure there is no god, do you then believe that we,our minds, are the highest intelligence? not just of the universe, but the cosmos?

Why would you say that , why would you even suggest such a thing ?

If you asked one person on earth their definition of God you would get one answer , ask 100 and you could get 100 different answers , ask a thousand and you could get a thousand answers . and so on . All depending on where they are on earth and their upbringing, why do you suppose that atheists are much different.Your problem is you pidgeonhole everybody .

Their was , has been , and is , thousands of different beleifs of GOD. In christendom alone their are thousnds of different interpretations of who and what GOD is.Then their is Judaism and its different sects , and Islam with its different sects , all with roots to the old testament ( hebrew scriptures )

and you want to confine atheists to one interpretation ? Sorry , that doesnt compute.

I now identify myself as an atheist in the sense I do not recognise or beleive in any so called text , scripture , holy writings supposedly inspired by a supreme being.Christian or otherwise that can reward or otherwise punish its subjects on earth.

Other atheists may define themselves differently

Am I open to any suggestion that their is possibly intellgent beings elsewhere in the cosmos/universe /dimmensions ? If their are it doesnt necessarily mean that they are GODS

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit