Active JW's, can you defend "THE TRUTH?"

by DATA-DOG 387 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I've come back to this thread to find that it's dodging all over the place.

Heavensgate11, Sorry, I don't know what it is you're trying to say. Why not start your own thread? That way no one can accuse you of fogging or red herrings.

I think it's time to get BTTT.

Now, where were we?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Kurtbethel said, " So, in summary, there is no active JW that can defend "the truth" in any coherent manner."

That about sums it up. I was just asking for ONE "unique" belief to be honestly evaluated with the GB's own criteria. Also, it would be nice to hear a reasonable explanation as to WHY fellow believers are marked and persecuted for not believeing flawed interpretations of fallible humans. Is that an unreasonable request??

DD

• wasblind
    wasblind

" I was just asking for one " Unique " belief to be honestly evaluated with the GB's own criteria "_____DATA DOG

" What beliefs Of Jehovah's Witnesses set them apart as different from other religions ? "_____Reasoning from the Scriptures book page 199

( 1 ) Bible : " They hold to the Bible as the standard for all thier beliefs "

( 8 ) Last Days : " Some who saw the events of 1914 will also see the complete destruction of the present wicked world "

That's not anywhere in the bible

• wasblind
    wasblind

Heavensgate , Please answer the question

if you dare

" Why fellow believers are marked and persecuted for not believing flawed intepretations of fallible humans " ___DATA DOG

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

"Personally I have found JW politeness soon turns to arrogance when they are confronted with questions which they are unable to understand let alone at least reason on."

That's sad but true. But Defender is really honest and open-minded. I understand if he/she is a bit p*ssed of at Heavensgate right now. Go on with your research, D O T

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

'according to the eternal purpose that he formed in connection with the Christ, Jesus our Lord,' Ephesians 3:13 (NWT)

From the book God's Eternal Purpose Now Triumphing for Man's Good on page 6 it says.

'They are now patterning their lives with this assured expectation of grander things to come for earth's inhabitants'

Hebrews 11:1 'Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, ...' (NWT)

'All these transformed ones, religious and nonreligious,confidently look for life on earth to become better within their own generation.

This is from the book mentioned same page just prior to the first quote.

Commenting on Hebrews 11:1 The Insight on the Scriptures 1988 published by the Watchtower says this under the heading faith

"Assured expectation translates the Greek word Hy po sta sis. This term is common in ancient papyrus business documents. It conveys the idea of something that underlies visible conditions and guarantees a future possession . In view of this, Moulton and Milligan suggest the rendering: "Faith is the title deed of things hoped for."

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

my previous post may give the impression that hebrews 11:1 is quoted on page 6 of the book. It isn't but the words 'assured expectation' made me think of it.

At the end of the paragraph that the two quotes come from it asks a question.

Unitedly, they all have this common outlook for the coming years. What has brought about this marvelous transformation in their minds and hearts and lives?

It is this: They have all come to an accurate knowledge of God's "eternal purpose" and are shaping their lives in harmony with that divine purpose, rejoicing at heart because it is now triumphing for the everlasting good of all mankind. They are humble grateful that they, too, are embraced within the loving purpose of God their Creator. Living within the range of His purpose makes life worth while for them. Eternal happiness is before them.

(God's Eternal Purpose Now triumphing for Man's Good, Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society 1974)

I think that the following quote mentioned in my previous post is referring to the generation of 1914 teaching maybe i'm wrong.

'All these transformed ones, religious and nonreligious,confidently look for life on earth to become better within their own generation

• CWstudy
    CWstudy

I was born in to the JW's and have studied off an on for years. I finally left the fold for good when I realized after much thought and research that how the JW's arrived at 1914 had nothing to do with "truth". Once you take that date away, there really is no foundation or reason for believing anything else about the faith.

I would like to ask DOT, and others that are trying to help DOT to stop thinking, searching and focusing so hard on the "generation" changes and instead let's talk about why Jesus could not have been referring to the generation of 1914 in the first place, ovelapping or otherwise.

Point 1: The 1914 date as it was taught by Russell was originally arrived at by using Numerology, {the custom of manipulating numbers to discover hidden meanings} and Pyramidlogy {the belief that the pyramids held great hidden knowledge and revelation of future events}. Russel learned and or first heard of this when he was a follower of Williams Miller {whose followers started the Second Adventist and Seventh-day Adventist Movements}.

Point 2. William Miller later decided to base his end time predictions on the book of Daniel and of course Russell followed suite. The book of Daniel was used to come up with many failed end time dates before it was realized that the math just didn't work out.

Point 3. The current thought or teaching that uses the book of Daniel and the 607 BC is also based on falsehood. With Revelation aside there is nothing found in Scripture that conveys a model for applying "seven times" to the WTS equation beginning at 607 B.C. that brings us to 1914. In WTS fashion they made a model of their own but it does not match with Daniel 4. The WTS says that God { the subject} cut his own rule in 607 B.C. { a reflective action} and started it again in 1914. In Daniel 4 God {the subject} cuts down {simple action} Nebuchadnezzar {definite object}. The major problem is a lacking of harmony between both models, with the WTS's model lacking the major component of a definite object.

If 1914 is a false teaching what can be "true" about the "truth"?

DOT I ask that you consider researching the following:

William Miller

Pastor Russell

The WTS and 1914/607 BC.

And you'll possibly find the answers you are seeking.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Just to confirm , I was not referring to d.o, t specifically re JW politeness/arrogance. I was speaking in general terms.

I did and still encourage d.o.t to go on with his quest for answers and always wish him well with his/her endeavours .

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

So.....what are we doing here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit