Active JW's, can you defend "THE TRUTH?"

by DATA-DOG 387 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• androb31
    androb31

"Defender: it was the kids' fault!!! They had wrong expectations :-O"

LOL

It was even reported that some children were selling off their lunches and dropping out of school to preach the message of impending doom. What a commendable way for them to spend their few remaining days before the end.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Heaven'sgate, saying tha anyone here is worshipping OUTLAW or anyone else is uber-retarded. Please go away if your comments are going to be that ignorant.

DOT, saying that all other bible translations are incorrect [ I assume you mean in comparison with the RNWT ] because so-called intellectuals of the world did the translating, really shows that you need to do some research about the Bible. The RNTW is only more "correct" than the NWT [ if at all ] because it more closely resembles "Christendom's" translations.

Go buy as used Strong's Concordance, or go online and study the Greek scriptures. You will quickly see why the GB tell JWs NOT to study Greek or Hebrew. Btw, there are no 100% accurate translations, not really.. It's a complete lie for the GB to state that the RNWT is the best bible ever. It contains many errors, some that may be deliberate.

DD

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

DD:"It contains many errors"
    ..For example?

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Adding Jehovahs name to the New Testament is a big one.

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

How about the outright lie in the last brochure we studied about how We have NEVER charged people for our publications? Did you know that, in fact, they used to charge? Its off topic but absomutely untrue...

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

DOT, have you considered what it means to translate ancient dead language? It is very difficult. There are multiple renderings and thoughts behind a variety of words. Even context can be difficult because bias and what people already believe is considered as context, when it really should be derived after accurate translation is produced. All translation is flawed.

I personally don't have amassive beef with the NWT or the revised version. I would suggest if it is something you are interested in, to go to "studylight.org". It is a free online resourse, that has multiple translations, and access to strongs and other commentaries/concordances. These are some of the same refference materials the branch uses in writing articles and doing apologetic article research. There was another thread I made a comment on regarding a marticualr scripture and the way it was translated. I referred to that site for some information, and drew my own conclusion about what I thought was reasonable. Like most things, it is usually in the middle of two points of view.

Heavens gate,

You are very much misleading in your comments regarding people on this site insisting on there version of "truth". That could not be further from accurate. People here (by and large), do not insist on their own opinion. Most here share the view that JW's are not the one true faith. Some have taken other religious faiths as their own, some have become athiest, some agnostic, etc... People here are individuals, that happen to be united by a common past.

People come here all the time. Some defend their faith, some ask questions, people can both agree and disagree with them. Nobody is our "enemy" here. You are welcome, and personally I enjoy respectful conversation. I never enter a discussion already assuming no matter what the other person says I will be right. I listen, adjust, and have to be willing to deal with that persons individual world view.

Perhaps it would benefit you to do that same? I am not exactly certain what the point is you were trying to make to DOT regarding historical context of 1945's teaching that jesus should be worshipped. That was very clearly a teaching of the society back then. They since clarified the word proskuneo, and what they believe its role to be. Worship and honor bear the same word in Koine. So back to translation.....context matters.

I agree that the cultural sentiment of the time is always important regarding the WT and Golden Age/Awake magazines. Organs were described as cannibalism. Some would play the semantic game that it didn't mean they were forbidden. Well i assume cannibalism is! :) So lets not be disingenuous. However, other religious groups held similar views. It was a scarey new time. Perhaps the worlds aversion to cloneing and DNA manipulation 50 years from now will be looked at much differently than now? I think the only reason that matters to people here, is that if you claim EXCLUSIVE truth, that shouldn't you be ahead of the curve? Teaching black people get to be white in the new world, that milk can cure cancer, and that Phrenology explains the Jews greed........may have somehow fit with early 20th century culture. But it was certainly not of divine origin....on any level.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

"Teaching black people get to be white in the new world.."..Do you have any quotes to prove that was really said? I'm not going to jwfacts or anything else that's apostate, though, we're told not to do that. It can't be true, that's blatant racism!

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

..For example?

Luke 23:43

There is no excuse for what they did there. They moved the comma to change the Bible make the words of Christ agree with their teachings instead of the other way around.

There is no justification for moving the comma in that verse, plus they do not move the comma in all the other verses that containt the exact same phrase (Truly I say to you,).

This is dishonest translation.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

1904 Feb 15th WT. 52-53 in the bound volume. It clearly suggests God will "change the Ethiopians skin" to white when he receives perfection. Even gives an example of a young negro boy turned white.

My point though is not this article. There is plenty of racist stuff in the magazines all the way up to the late 60's. My point is that the magazines, are reflections of the time period they were in. Good Housekeeping magazine was incredibly mysogonistic in the 50's suggesting women be quiet when their husband gets hope from work, greet him at the door with a martini, and overlook his indescretions for the peace of the home. Nuts right!? But it reflected overall society at the time. We would not expect Good Housekeeping to be ahead of the curve.

We would however expect that of the only true religion would we not? I acknowledge this particular quote is pre 1919, but there are others. download an archive of pubs if you want. But honestly, most of these things have been picked clean. I realize JWfacts is kind of the boogie man, but the refferences are all there, and double checking sources is encouraged.

Either way DOT, I would love to discuss something such as the blood doctrine with you. I promise to only use scripture (rNWT) and secular sources. No "apostate" sites or suppositions. Feel free to PM me if you would prefer it be private.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

..For example?

Colossians 1:16,17

The RNWT is even more dishonest than the NWT since it even removes the brakets from the word "other" that they inserted into the Bible to change the meaning of these verses make the verses match their beliefs (rather than the other way around...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit