Do Facebook "Friends" That Constantly Brag, Irritate You?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The thread has been very therapeutic.

• innerpeace
    innerpeace

Is it true FB won't put a 'dislike' button on there cause they want to keep it a positive experience for everyone? I thought I heard that a while back.

I think overall FB is a good thing, living far from family and friends, its nice to see pics and stuff. I also like to read the news and headlines on my newsfeed. Other than that, it can get pretty mundane. And I'm sick of getting game requests. I liked the old Myspace, where you could custom your page with music and stuff. That was cool.

• innerpeace
    innerpeace

They definately need an 'eyeroll' button on there though, lol.

• minimus
    minimus

I like FB too. I get to see family and friends and it can be a fun place.

I wish they had an eyeroll button too. Can you imagine?......

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I had to quit facebook. It's been almost a year now! It started consuming me and replacing my real life.

I would see "friends" in the store, but we wouldn't have actual conversations. I find real-life discussions about comments people made on facebook, to be disturbing.

I was seeing photos of people I knew, posted by a different friend. The friend in the photo doesn't even know the pictures are online, since she doesn't go on facebook (just has an account). The privacy invasion is just too much... friends tagging me... people getting mad about things they read about me... running into someone I hadn't seen in a year, and having them make the comment "You've been busy!" (lurking and keeping track of me, why?? very disquieting...)

I was reading all these posts from other moms, about the great things they were doing with and for their kids. Then I started taking pictures and posting our activities, so I could show I was spending time with my kids, too!

I knew I was in trouble, when my daughter told me to take a video of her sledding, "So we can put it on facebook!!" The avatar I have here, is actually from that day... the dog was following me around, like she was trying to figure out why I had my ipad with me. To me, this dog's face is saying, "Please put down your iPad & play with ME!"

Now that I am off facebook though, I know I am missing out on events and updates. I don't get invited to real-life gatherings, etc. My social network is much smaller now, but I don't need the recognition of others. I need to turn off the screens and spend more time with my family... I am still guilty of this, but now I'm anonymous on JWN.

No more JW brother in law, keeping tabs on me and getting mad when I hire a local contractor. No more people I have never met in real life, thinking they know me and commenting on my life.

Do I miss it? Yes... but not enough to go back.

The other thing that really bugs me, is when people take & post pictures of their feet...

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

They might if I wasn't even more awesome than they are!

• hellenback
    hellenback

I prefer google+ more adult and speak to people from all over the world https://plus.google.com/+DanielFairclough

• minimus
    minimus

Faithful, thanks for sharing!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

flying,my gf's daughter has some friends that are not in the same category in business acumen. She is a very attractive young woman, intelligent and pregnant and she admires herself. She constantly puts selfies out there and gives different poses from drinking coffee to eating or drinking health foods so everyone can see how she looks and follow her example if they so desire.

Sometimes, do you think people that do this are in a certain way insecure and needing to find validation by the likes and positive feedback they get? You know, needing some affirmation for that slight bit of insecurity?

I remember the enlightening day when I realized that sometimes people brag as a veiled way of putting others down. "Oh I am so good and I'm inferring that you are so inferior."

Both of the above are human nature. We likely all do both or either/or to a degree. This gal seems to have an exaggerated need for one or the other. I can tell she is not from Sweden. I know a guy from Sweden who tells me that in Swedish culture you don't show your success. If you're good at something, you don't let on that you are. He told me that positive, upbeat, cheerful people are viewed with suspicion and he even had a name for this way of looking at things.

• Angharad
    Angharad

My facebook commandments:

Don't tag me in random pictures I have no interest in or have nothing to do with.

Don't share random pictures or inspirational sayings with me that say if you don't re-share this in the next 5 minutes you are heartless bitch and want all kittens to die.

Don't send me app requests, I will just ignore then and probably block you if it keeps happening

I really do not care about pictures of the back of your cell phone which happen to have your boobs in the background.

You are able to tell your significant other that you love them daily without sharing it with the entire world

Oh and if you post Happy VD day on Feb 14th - I'm not automatically thinking you mean Valentines Day

Aaaahhhhh I feel better now - I really don't like facebook that much

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit