Do Facebook "Friends" That Constantly Brag, Irritate You?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

What about whiners ? They are just as tiresome as the boasters.

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

People who complain constantly irritate me WAY more. My absolute favorites are the ones who say, "I'm so sick of people complaining about everything. I mean, your life could be as bad as mine." Okay, so isn't that complaining, too? :P

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I have no problem with it.

People who are actually doing cool stuff are really intensely focused on it and are not tapping out the details on their phone or sitting at the pc.

Before FB there were always the 'look at me' sort of people around, and they just found a new place to crow about it.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Not any more. I deactivated my account 11 months ago. I don't need FB "friends" and I don't need to be aware of every coffee they drink. A real friendship needs quality, in person, one-on-one time. Anything else is crap.

W

• minimus
    minimus

FF, you are the voice of reason.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

A real friendship needs quality, in person, one-on-one time. Anything else is crap.

I can see how someone would feel this way. I've heard similar sentiment from others.

On face book I can have great social contact with people who do not live close enough for me to see face to face. I have family members, friends from my past, former JWs and people from work etc. Some people like my daughter, we keep in better touch on facebook, well we did when she did not have a phone. I have made sure she has a phone now.

Facebook has an excellent skype type video call system, too. A couple of nights ago I had a conversation with a friend from Canada and one from Australia. For me, it's worth a lot.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't think the discussion is FB or no FB. You have to know the limits of your technology. LinkedIn works much better for me. FB is not doing welll now. The tech constantly changes. I suspect that certain sets of "friends" do better on FB, LinikedIn, or traditional social media.

If I owned a small business, I might want 300 "friends."

You have to research which is the better venue and update the research every few months. I still send Crane's handwritten notes. There was a big discussion whether law firms should use email, FB, or Crane's. People made great points. I decided to go with Crane's and an email. The email is searchable and prompt. Crane's engraved stationery is warmer. It strikes me that now we have to research one more item. A lot would depend on the client, too. Younger people might appreciate FB more.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My conversations were by IM though. I don't usually do video calls with anyone but family. An exception is my closest friend. And with him, we only do video calls if one of is eating or getting paperwork done and can't attend an IM, or the snow prevents us getting together away from home.

• minimus
    minimus

FB has some great points to it. I just don't care about seeing pictures of all the foods you eat and praises that you are craving for.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I know a guy from Sweden who tells me that in Swedish culture you don't show your success. If you're good at something, you don't let on that you are. He told me that positive, upbeat, cheerful people are viewed with suspicion and he even had a name for this way of looking at things. FHN

FHN that's what the UK is like, how interesting that Swedish culture is similar. Brits moan constantly, dislike successful people and are suspicious if you are cheerful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit