Do Facebook "Friends" That Constantly Brag, Irritate You?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Face Book is so totally false. You need to learn to accept it for waht it is; a notice board of little relevance. I know what my brother had for breakfast for the last 5 mornings, I've seen out the window wing shots of aircraft trips for 3 years, some Tibetan monks, a sunset, and some funny links, but I didn't klnow he was dieing of cancer.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Some people use FB to constantly give an elevator speech. I am so wonderful...... I also can't stand Christmas card correspodence, Janie won 84th place in our local town's Nutcracker Suite. I only do FB for personal matters. In fact, I don't use FB much b/c I have to worry about privacy and future viewers. I go for bland content. It seems to be that it may be separating us from each other rather than help us communicate.

There are probably different uses for FB. There are different cultures in my life. FB is too general.

I heard someone give her employment speech today in a non employment setting. She was so pushy that I hated her. After the Witnesses, I certainly like people to celebrate their achievements. I was raised to feel bad about good grades, school club work, etc. Don't brag b/c you never know who else might be in the audience. When I was in college, I worked for NYC as part of financial aid. It monitored the Dept. of Corrections. A black man sat down one day and I was in a hurry to finish a report of correction officers beating inmates. I assumed he was a messenger. Thank goodness a phone call diverted my attention. I was going to tell me where to leave messages. Little did I know we had a special guest lecturer, "Let 'em loose, Bruce," a very powerful judge who will not tolerate racism. Tne Daily News and New York Post ran regular features on Bruce. He was the last man in the world to assume to be a messenger.

Many people know Thurgood Marshall, the first African-American Supreme Court justice. He did most of the litigation for the NAACP. When he practiced law, he could not use a hotel or eat food b/c of Jim Crow laws. After he has been on the Court for about 20 years, there was a serious breach of security. Some tourists were using the elevator reserved for the justices only. When they saw Marhsall, they assumed that he was the elevator operator. Marshall thought it was funny, and did the Uncle Ben routine for them.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Not sure on all those things you mention, but it sure sounds funny.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I hate facebook. I am close to canceling my account with them.

• smiddy
    smiddy

There are a few people who are FB friends that CONSTANTLY brag about themselves, their looks, their accomplishments, their bodies, their job---etc.

I cancelled my FB account for that very reason , I couldnt stand it any longer.

smiddy

• losingit
    losingit

Ppl like that, I just choose not to see their posts anymore. Just ignore or cancel ypur subscription to them. My cousin pushes weight loss products ALL DAY LONG. i didnt want to unfriend so I just hid her posts. Another woman I know swears she's a fashion diva and is oh-so-inspirational. Ummm no! I also hid her posts. I have a friend who says he's annoyed by an fb friend who posts selfies featuring her boobies and such. He has yet to unfriend or hide her posts. I suspect he enjoys them, too.

Just ignore the egotistical ones. FB is falsehood city. There's not much substance to be found. And I just won't publicize myself anymore. Either move on from fb, become indifferent, or join the club and reveal your self-importance!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I linked my LinkedIn page to facebook. I hope that no one thinks I am presumptous to show that I have a career. The fact that I have a beautiful family may irritate others. It may, because I have a really beautiful family. I could go on and on about how successful and beautiful my family is and how successfu we all are. But, I sense that I am irritating you. Sorry...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yeah, I hide irritating posts, and Facebook has the decency to ask me why. I have a friend who I love dearly but she falls for every pyramid scheme/urban legend/dangers of aspartame/vaccines/kittens that comes along. She then passes these tid-bits on to us for our indigestion.

Twenty-something kiddo? Life will slap her down good one of these days and she will stop.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I don't mind, what else are people supposed to post about? If you take away interesting places they go, or new things they are doing or great meals they got to eat, what is left? If I am not happy to see the great things that happen in my friends life, then I am not a good friend and shouldn't be on Facebook with them in the first place. I guess it's a fine line between sharing and bragging.

But, am I only to post bad things that happen? For Example:

Well, it was another horrible day. My bowels haven't worked in so long I may have to call Roto Rooter. The cat drug a dead mouse into the house and the dog threw up on the carpet. The washing machine is making funny noises again and the kitchen sink is leaking. Tyler's teacher says he is flunking English. I am beginning to wonder if there is any point in living, really.

I am sick of the ones that instruct you to share, you know, "if you really care, but I bet most of you won't" Damn Skippy I won't.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Just do "Unfollow" and you won't see there messages and they don't know you have done that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit