Woody Allen speaks out

by NewYork44M 131 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Gentledawn
    Gentledawn

Being a father to anyone is a full-time, life long obligation. You don't just vacate that postion because you have popcorn happening to the corncob in your pants.

He directly violated that obligation with a previous daughter: Soon-Yi.

He took nude photos of her, which Mia Farrow found, which is precisely the time when good ol' Woody decided to fess up to being in "love" (note: not in "lust", eh?).

At best he's a prime example of a narcisist. He violated the trust of his entire family back then? Not his fault. He was "in love". Can't be helped. And his role as a father at that time? Out the window, obv.

He can't be both. Either he's a father to his children or he is their violator of their trust, by crossing over the boundaries. And that man has NO boundaries, as far as being a parent versus being a lover/molester is concerned (yeah, Soon-Yi was probably brainwashed/trying to please the only dad she ever knew).

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Were it not for Soon Yi, and the affair started when she was a minor, I would not which party to believe. People at the time wondered how a court approved the adoption of so many children by Woody Allen and Mia Farrow. Courts were not favorable to unmarried "couples" living apart. Money and fame talk. I read Mia Farrow's book at the time. I don't know how she stopped herself from murdering Mr. Allen. Yet she seemed obsessed with disabled children. Her family was too large, considering the profound disabiliites of the children. Her relationship with Allen was unconventional. I never thought she was much of an actress until her films with Allen.

There were warning signs. I recall how angry Moses, an adopted son of Farrow and Allen, was. He was still young. I thought Mia should speak out, not young children. I was shocked that Moses is now a family therapist and believes Allen. From my perspective, both Farrow and Allen were spoiled celebrities. When you enlist little kids in a relationship war, something is very wrong. Allen's op-ed annoys me b/c he has to mention Soon-Yi about twenty times. Andre Previn sided with Farrow. What Allen did with Soon Yi was despicable. If Allen's relationship with Farrow was so distant, why did he adopt children with her?

I wonder if the parties themselves know what happened.

• blondie
    blondie

It could be there have been more victims afraid to speak up. When my youngest sister came to me about our father molesting her; I thought I had been the only one. Then my youngest brother said he had been molested and then the brother closest to my age. Our details matched. I felt how could I have not seen it or known it. Why did they not tell me? If my father hadn't already "confessed" to 2 elders separately, there would have been no leverage for disciplining him. The elders tried hard to hide it any way. If I hadn't had pull with the legal system, nothing would have ever been done to my father. So the elders repoved him privately and made him give his fake apology to my sister, but not to me, not to my brothers. My father moved far away but the BOE did not tell that congregation...I found out when I called the PO of his new congregation, he was stunned that nothing was said, his having 2 children.

My father used the excuse that his ex-wife made us lie (I was 31 at the time I revealed his molesting me). He even blamed his mother who had been dead for 30 years. My aunt accused us girls of having seduced my father (at 5 and 9). I don't know how she fit the boys into that story.

No point in trying this in the media. I'm sure that Mr. Allen's reputation will not be hurt that much. He should be quiet and go about his life and things will die down.

Blondie

• DJS
    DJS

First of all let me say that child abuse/molestation/rape is horrendous and should be punished accordingly. I am a father of two children and built a wall of protection around them from the time each was born. Second, lots of rape/molestations charges and accusations are false; do the research. Can you imagine the potential harm to someone who was accused falsey?

I read Mr. Allen's response; assuming it is all true it is compelling. It has much more the ring of truth than Dylan Farrow's. If he willingly took a lie detector test and passed and if Ms. Farow refused to take one. Such tests aren't admiisable in such court cases, so he could have easily hid behind the law. That he did not speaks volumes. Volumes. As noted, I don't know if all he says is true but if it is there is a reason the DA didn't prosecute and his Hollywood friends support him.

Blondie, I usually agree with you but not this time. Dylan Farrow, and Mia by extension, are taking aggressive (and if the claims are false, evil) steps to ruin his reputation and his career if they can. Regardless of whether he married Soon Yi, that has no bearing as to whether he is a child molester. Some of you make the llink/jump. I kind of understand it, but such comments should be qualified. Rushing to judge Mr. Allen, especially without understanding the full story, is unacceptable.

Assuming what Mr. Allen states is all true, Dylan Farrow is sick and needs help. Or evil. We will likely never know, but judgmental comments towards either party should be avoided and any comments should be qualified.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I have listed to a few interviews with Mia Farrow over the years; she is a very strange person. My impression of Mia is well within the framework of what Mr. Allen wrote in today's column.

So, going on the assumption that Woody is innocent, how does he prove this? And the answer is he cannot other that what he presented today.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There are some suspicious social behavior activities upon Woody Allen that makes one think.

One other thing to note is that in the movie he directed and acted in Manhattan, Allen falls romantically

in love with a teenager much younger than himself. ???? .... weird

As with many perpetrators Allen seems to have a pattern when it comes to childhood sexual abuse. Allen engaged in a sexual relationship with his partner’s (Mia) daughter (Soon-Yi) when she was in her late teens; however he had known her since she was a young girl of ten. Questions about the nature of their relationship, how he treated her, whether or not he sexualized her and the other kids, are relevant to the story and indicate how Dylan/Malone’s allegation of sexual abuse does not exist in a vacuum, but rather within a context and pattern of a potential perpetrator. The fact that Farrow reports that at the time when Allen adopted Dylan/Malone he started receiving therapy for his “inappropriate behavior” towards her, only further complicates this story, not only about Allen but also about how much did Farrow ignore in order to keep her relationship with him.

Once Allen and Farrow separated, a custody battle over their three children began. During that time, Mia spoke about the fact that she believed that Allen had sexually molested their adopted daughter Dylan/Malone. The judge eventually found that the sex abuse charges were inconclusive, however Farrow won custody of their children. Allen was denied visitation rights with Dylan/Malone and could see the other children only under supervision. Moses, their other adopted child, who was then 14, chose not to see Allen.

In 1991, when the relationship with Soon-Yi Previn began, Allen was 56 and Previn around 19, many asked whether this relationship was “healthy” and whether it constitutes sexual abuse. We could also ask how does this relationship link with issues of race and class? If Allen came from a low income family, and was a man of color, would we even have given him the benefit of the doubt that so many tried to give Allen? If Soon-Yi was a wealthy white woman would we be more upset about their sexual relationship? Lastly, if both Woody and Soon-Yi were not a well-to-do famous couple, could they have adopted other children, given the documented allegations of abuse by Allen?

Woody Allen and Soon-Yi in 2009

In 1991, same time Allen and Farrow separated, Mia Farrow taped her young daughter Malone/Dylan saying that Woody Allen touched her inappropriately, but the case failed to make it to trial. Having worked with survivors of incest, it is not uncommon for one parent to want to tape a child’s testimony. However, in most cases, it is frowned upon by legal experts. In March 1993 New York Times reported how a team of child-abuse investigators at Yale-New Haven Hospital cleared Woody Allen of Mia Farrow’s assertion that he sexually molested their 7-year-old daughter. The findings presented to Allen and Farrow at the hospital after a seven-month inquiry, were not made public. The article goes on to say that the investigators found that the child, Dylan O. Farrow “had not been molested by anyone and concluded that a videotape that had been the centerpiece of the accusation was a result of either the child’s imagination or someone else’s manipulation. At the time, Allen made a statement “I’m just breaking even,” he said. “I never did anything. I would never molest a child.” Farrow made one too: “I will always stand by my children.” In September 1993, Connecticut State Attorney Frank Maco announced that, while he had “probable cause” to prosecute Allen on charges of sexual molestation of Dylan, he dropped the case in order to spare Dylan the trauma of appearing in court.

- See more at: http://criticaltherapy.org/blog/#sthash.JfGobbhU.dpuf

• DJS
    DJS

That an 'older man' would fall in lust/love with a younger woman is, well, DUH. That he would consider this with Mia's adopted daughter is to me problematic and reveals something about his personality. If she was 19 she was an adult. I understand what you mean by sophistication, but Soon Yi was probably more advanced than other girls her age. Like it or not, it isn't illegal nor immoral. If it isn't my/your cup of tea, so be it. I couldn't care less.

None of that is compelling evidence for or against molesting a 7 year old child. None of it. He willingly took a lie detector test? I find that freaking amazing. Considering the cirumtances and what I know about this topic (which is a lot), I wouldn't have taken it if I was the most innocent person in the world. Although quite accurate, they are not fool proof. Mia Farrow wouldn't? I find that revealing.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Just an FYI, Woody Allen took his own lie detector test that he paid for, and refused to take the lie detector test given by the police.

What do you guys think of the Dylan's response to Woody's response (posted earlier in this thread)?

• DJS
    DJS

I don't blame Woody. If a professional adminstered the test, it wouldn't matter who paid for it. I think Woody did the right thing. But it does add to the intrigue.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Soon Yi was not his first. Piers Morgan had a guest the other day who dated Allen when she was 18. Soon Yi is the greatest proof that he would victimize a child. I don't find his statement compelling. He could afford ghost writers. As I stated before, both Mia Farrow and Woody Allen had some screws loose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit