Elders’ School 2013: Model Judicial Committee Videos and messages from the GB

by hildebrando 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

Translation of Hildebrando's commentary on the 'model judicial committee' video.

(Apologies, in advance, for any errors of translation or typography.)

Part One:

As a starting point, it must be clear that if the Organisation is at the point of producing a “How to conduct Judicial Committees... for Dummies ” video, then the oral and written instructions on the topic have proven to be insufficient – and need to be supplemented with this kind of material. This means that the elders are NOT following these procedures. For example, assigning readings to the brother who has confessed – I never saw this done. The same for the model meeting, where the entire body of elders meet to assemble the [judicial] committee. Generally, it is the Service Committee (and, more frequently, the Coordinator of the Body of Elders) that decides which elders will serve on the committee, and who will serve as chairman. It is rare indeed that the COBE asks for candidates for judicial committee service and chairmanship, and that he submits the candidates names to a vote. What happens, instead, is that he designates elders for the instance. There are many elders who never participate in these decisions, and who learn of a disfellowshipping at the same time as the publishers: when it is announced. In reality, these kinds of decisions are made behind closed doors, such that friends and relatives of the “sinner” are designated to handle such cases – frequently resulting in 'acquittals'. All of this is done with the approval of Circuit Overseers, who believe that congregations operate more smoothly (without the frequent and lengthy elders' meetings) with 1 or 2 dominant elders.

Clearly, the Organisation is looking to counter the tremendous power held by the Service Committees and, in particular, the COBE, who is here shown only presiding over the meeting to name Judicial Committee members – without participating in it – since the other elders do not elect him. Further, one elder is excluded from the selection without great difficulty, because he is too close to the “sinner's” family. This is far from reality, since this kind of issue produces a lot of dissension amongst elders; sometimes to the point where some elders are on the side of forming a judicial committee, while other elders – for sentimental, familial or economic reasons – are not! No wonder this COBE (in the video) is thankful to serve on such an ideally harmonious body of elders.

The Organisation is also trying to prevent Judicial Committees from concluding in too many acquittals. There are elders who look for any way to avoid judicial action... and those are the ones calling the shots today. A cursory glance at the case, give an acquittal [i.e., a non-disfellowshipping action]. However, the video directs that attention be paid to such minute details as placing phone calls from the Kingdom Hall, so that no one can overhear; or, arriving a half-hour before the appointment with the wrongdoer, in order to prepare for the hearing.

Now, looking at the issues beyond those procedural, the Organisation wants elders to be more canny in their dealings. No accusations, no recriminations, no catching in falsehoods: they must always “play the fool,” even when they are being lied to. But, beyond the artificial “kindness,” I noticed how they interpret the old rule of thumb, “No one ever commits a sin only once.” Now the elders are not going to say this to the “sinner” right away; rather, they pretend to be stupid, so the person believes that he has fooled the elders, and is unconcerned about relating a consistent version of his story. Then, once inconsistencies in story have been revealed, he is ready to be disfellowshipped. “One time?” “Only 1 week ago?” “A pregnancy is not perceived that quickly...” “ So, 2 months? With that hussy?” “Two or 3 times... a week!” (It could be “a day”...) On the other hand, this Committee shows exemplary kindness to the sinner: they do not ask what kind of sexual relations were engaged in (as many elders usually do). Unnatural sex could be another aggravating factor!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I don't get all this, something is lost in the translation perhaps? What I do understand is this:

1) Never meet with the Elders. If a meeting cannot be avoided then see point #2.

2) Admit nothing.

DD

• Comatose
    Comatose

Thanks for the translation Valk. Much easier to read.

I still want a translation of what Lett is saying. His gestures are so over dramatic and crazy. I know its a lot to ask of others, but I can't wait to see what he is saying.

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

Part Two: (Translation of Hildebrando's commentary on the 'model judicial committee' video)

The guy also lied when he said that he had not cultivated a relationship with his partner. He did everything to disobey the elders' counsel! He didn't read the assignment given to him by the elders... And the last thing he is concerned with is Jehovah, and asking his forgiveness... He waited for 2 months before confessing! He only did it then because the girl fell pregnant. Otherwise, he would have continued the party – pardon, “wrongdoing”. He is only worried about his family and his friends in the congregation, and whether or not he has to marry the girl.

The humiliating moment of leaving the elders to deliberate is portrayed very well; it is suggested that the “sinner” turn on the light, so he can be comfortable. Then, one elder wants to extend forgiveness, moved by emotions and because the “sinner” said that he would cut off relations with the girl. He wants to stretch things out, with more sessions (a typical means of protecting someone who – according to the rules –“deserves” to be disfellowshipped, since it involves searching with a magnifying glass to find some hint of “repentance”). Nonetheless, in the Governing Body's video, what matters is what the Elders' Book says. On that basis, the merciful elder is convinced, and it is decided to disfellowship, respecting the formalities: the disfellowshipped man is told what he is still able to do in the congregation, the steps he must take to be reinstated, and... 7 days to appeal – a right that is rarely relayed.

The saddest thing is how the “analytical” questions are attributed to “the holy spirit,” as if they were thought of almost miraculously, when – in reality – they have been studied, just as much as everything that appears in this video. However, upon seeing this feigned “spontaneity” when proving guilt, the “sinner” – overestimating the “wisdom” of the elders – attributes it to God, and thus (not by any action of the spirit, but by a mere manipulation tactic) is sufficiently “softened” to confess EVERYTHING. But, it is too late. His tears are in vain. He should have confessed EVERYTHING from the start. He hid things (much like the elders elders hide the fact that their “wisdom” is not divine, but from this source...) and will therefore be disfellowshipped.

If the holy spirit truly directed these hearings, it would issue accurate divine judgements, as Peter is presumed to have done with respect to Ananias and Sapphira. There would be no appeals, no instruction books, no schools, no videos such as these. There would be no concern about the impartiality of the elders who “serve” on a committee, nor would it be emphasized that feelings must not interfere, nor would the “sinner” (as yet uncertain) be made to believe that God influences the minds of the elders by means of holy spirit, to “facilitate” his confession.

• sir82
  • pixel
    pixel

They showed this video at the Elder's School and again during the 2013-2014 CO visit at the private meeting with elders.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

The english is faint but is behind the spanish translation, perhaps the audio can be separated.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I have heard Elders and many JWs say that the sin is not important, but repentance is. You can do the worst thing in the world, but if you are sorry then you probably won't get df'd. Maybe that is no longer the official stance? It seems that the GB are attempting to come up with a legalistic, one size fits all formula for reading hearts, and then giving the Holy Spirit credit for this Pharisaic method.

DD

• sir82
    sir82

if you are sorry then you probably won't get df'd.

That's true in theory.

But there is also a line in the elders' manual along these lines: "There may be occasions where a person is so entrenched in his sinful course that it would not possible for him to demonstrate repentance before or during the committee meeting".

Meaning, "if the sin is bad enough, the dude has to be DF'ed, no matter how 'sorry' he says he is."

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

"Meaning, "if the sin is bad enough, the dude has to be DF'ed, no matter how 'sorry' he says he is."

I wonder how often a persons mental state has been misinterpreted as "deeply entrenched" in sin? Remember the High Priest accusing Hannah of being drunk?? Are the Elders more astute in their observations?

I have a relative who was sexually molested and developed destructive behaviors as a result. His marriage ended, and then he was df'd. Knowing what his behaviors were, and the cause, I know he needed real help from a therapist. His issues were not something that an abused child shares with others. I can see him in the Elder's room, tight lipped, refusing to answer questions out of guilt and fear, and feelings of utter worthlessness. I am sure he was judged as unrepentant. He was such a danger that Df'ing was the only loving thing to do.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit