If You Got a Call or Visit From The Elders How Would You Deal With Them?

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

Haha TableForOne, can't you see what an unhappy bunch of apostates we are here? We're so miserable, life's awful when you're free to think your own thoughts!

Anyway, welcome from me too

• minimus
    minimus

OTWO, I can picture those 2 elders trying to be seen as spiritual shepherds.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Elders talk to UBM's? The only "discussion" I've ever had is "We've missed you at the meeting." I swear, all they hear when I talk is Charlie Brown's teacher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04

• Viviane
    Viviane

I had an elder call when I was living way outside of the territory where I lived when I was DFed, he was just doing Monday morning service and tried to suggest I was no longer a JW because I didn't want to control my urge to sin, this, of course, after telling him I was DFed for apostacy for not agreeing with the doctrine.

Now I live back in the territory (or close enough to it to know the people here) and they avoid my house. I saw them walking down the street, hit my neighbor's house, look at their card and skip right over my house and go to the next one. I don't think they want to talk to me.

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

Since I faded out 10 years ago, I have had in or about 3-4 visits from the elders and even CO:s.

During my fading “out time”, I used the time to take some academicals examines in the subject, History, History of Ideas and science and archeology. When the elders and the CO:s came the last time, I offered to study with “THEM”, if they only could spear 3-4 hours a week. I promised them to take them to lectures and seminars at our close University. I told them that they should be much more comfortable if they just understood some facts from modern science.

Of course they answered they didn’t had the time and as this was the end of times, and it would be much more appropriate to use this hours in preaching. And they went away very quickly from my home and have not in 2-3 years been seeing. I wonder if I should pay a visit to them, offering some of my literature…….?

Bugbear

• minimus
    minimus

Bugbear, you are too kind,

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

A direct call from a hounder will either result in them getting a recording (and having to leave a message that will immediately get deleted) or in having the phone getting picked up and me hanging up immediately. A visit will result in having them wasting time standing out in, hopefully, bitter cold and/or rainy and windy conditions (and hoping their littera-trash and suit getting soaking wet). They are going to have to go to court and present a breach of contract case on the grounds of my baptism somehow being a "signed, legally binding contract" and enforce it as such.

Otherwise, it is just a waste of their time. And yes, if I happen to be in the middle of decorating the hall for Halloween, Christmas, or Easter when they show up, I will simply continue and let them waste their time standing there and watching the lights go up.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

I'd be all like.... "WHA WHA WHAAAT??"

and then I'd be all like.... "OH NO YOU DID-NT!!'

and then I'd totally be like.... "WHOA! WHOA! WHOOOOOAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Dagney
    Dagney

Minimus: My mom is very ill and the congregation has been very good to her. I think she may be in a hospital soon or elsewhere. I think I will be seeing some elders who might try to love bomb me.

If I knew the person calling I would act happy and very surprised they were calling. Thank them for doing so and start asking about them, their family etc. In my case it has thrown them off course, then "Oh dear, I really have to go. It's been great catching up with you. Take care, say "hi" to the Suzie and kids."

If they sneak in a request to visit, I just say "now isn't a good time. I'll let you know."

Best thoughts to you and your mom.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Bugbear, that's genius. I will do similarly if the elders ever bug me and don't want to take "NO" for an answer.

"We need to follow the example of the Boreans, brothers. I will agree to regular discussions with you if you include going to the museum and to archeaology and science lectures at the university and let you see some of what my concerns are."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit