If You Got a Call or Visit From The Elders How Would You Deal With Them?

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

5 or months after I resigned as an elder, and just before I totally faded out, we got a visit from a substitute C.O.. I didn't know him.

I had a heated discussion with the C.O. on his previous visit when "they let me resign." After commenting on how poorly he had been there for me, I asked if he was told to avoid me- since that was what he did. He said "NO. They said to 'snatch you out of the fire.'"

So I suppose some kind of instructions were left with the elders.

Anyway, they had absolutely nothing to say to me when I turned in field recruiting hours with "Zero" written on them and now the Substitue C.O. was there. The COBE (P.O. at the time) and the secretary approached me in the main auditorium after the meeting. They made small talk- the weather, how is work, something in the news, blah blah blah. Nothing important, but they talked for me much longer than anyone else. I didn't get the sense that they were trying to build up to something, nor that they were trying to keep me from meeting the substitute C.O.. Instead, it seemed that they wanted to BE SEEN TALKING TO ME in front of the subst. C.O.. That way, they can say they had made every effort to snatch me out of the fire.

If it were those same guys years later at the Kingdom Hall, I could be sure that they would not be trying very hard to "shepherd" me. The book study overseer, who is now the person that checks on "his" group has called me about once a year and invited me to the memorial or something else, but even that died off about 2 years ago.

So any effort to call on me now, I would simply remind them how they haven't tried seriously for years. I would say to their faces: "You told me you were there if I ever needed you. So stay THERE and wait for my call."

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"You told me you were there if I ever needed you. So stay THERE and wait for my call."

That is really very good. Polite yet firm.

Mind you, not nearly so much fun as my suggested "F*** OFF !!!!"

• krejames
    krejames

They have texted and knocked on my door twice since last week when I posted the Tight Pants video on my Facebook page. I replied to the text to say I would call them when I wasn't so busy and was ready for them to come around. I haven't bothered answering the door when they have knocked.

• krejames
    krejames

oh and I forgot to say I have been screening my calls. I have had couple of calls from withheld numbers that I haven't answered (but to be fair it might not be from them, but I suspect it is)

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

After 40 years being actively involved and fooled by it all, I conducted a successful five year fade. I wasn’t going to stand for any of their intrusions or let’s drop in on Brother Inactive. I told the PO several years ago do not ever phone me at home.

I also told him to please tell the rest of the BOE to not come to my house. Do not knock on my door, do not drive by on a summer afternoon for a visit and catch me washing my car or cutting the lawn. He said, “We still love you as a brother and want you to start associating with us again.”

So I said that if you step on my property, I will be polite and courteous enough to ask you to leave immediately. If you are not gone within one minute I will call the police and tell them I have someone trespassing who will not leave. He said I will pass that on to the other elders.

Not one phone call for anything, not one “regain the lost sheep” visit ever.

End of story!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Same way I always do: small talk, how are things for you, my life is great but you caught me in the middle of something so can't chat. I'm a slippery fish when it comes to their sly questions: I have years of experience in evading questions I don't want to answer. Learned from the wtbts aww yeah. The most important thing I let them know is that my life has never been better!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I'd be civil to them. I would tell them that I will never return to the cult because I am an atheist now. (I would await their patronising faces as they try to make me feel as if I've gone down hill for not believing in god......you know......the old 'Oh, I'm sorry you have gone down to atheism!'

I've had that before.........being looked down on with fake pity as if I'm a naughty boy or lead astray. You know that really annoys me.....judgemental schnooks!!!

Anyway, shut up Paul...........BTTT

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Apostasy, atheism, inactivity: everything's a step down to them. They have all the answers and we're blinded by Satan or caught up in "the world".

So glad I'm moving next month. Jws won't find me.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Julia

Jws won't find me.

Oh, ya think?

• TableForOne
    TableForOne

Clarity: TableForOne ....that is a good tip ..thanks.

Btw ...a big welcome to you ...if you made an

intro post ...sorry i must have missed it.

clarity

Thanks for the warm welcome. I was always told (and believed) that 'apostates' were bitter and unhappy individuals. No sign of that yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit