...What do you Do,when People Ask You for Spare Change?...

by OUTLAW 91 Replies latest jw experiences

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

.........................Some people are Truly in Need..Some are Not..

A man passing by on his 10 speed bike,asked me for $2.00 for a Cup of Coffee..

.................................................."Uhhh,No"..

............Another asked me for Spare Change outside a Super Market..

......................................I said I didn`t have any..

...................So He say`s "How about a Credit Card?!"......LOL!!..

....................What Do You Do,When People Ask You For Spare Change?..

..........................................Whats The Most Outrageous Thing..

......................................You`ve Been Asked For By A Stranger?..

........................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good morning, OUTLAW:

Why, the shirt off my back and the keys to my car!

Anything less would be uncharitable.

Actually, this summer a homeless man asked for bus fare to Illinois to meet up with a friend who promised him a place to stay. I'm in California. I took him out to lunch, gave him $s for dinner, then took him to a homeless shelter. I tried not to feel guilty for failing to do more. A friend who was with me helped out, which was appreciated.

I was scraping together money to go 200 miles to see a sick friend.

Best.

CoCo cares but is broke

• a watcher
    a watcher

I give them a tract with a $5 bill inside.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I was sitting in the car, waiting for my husband to come out of work. It was late in the evening, and he often worked late.

A woman came up to me, after walking across this very large, empty parking lot (not the best part of town). I saw her coming, long before she approached me directly. I cracked the window to see why she was talking to me.

"My car ran out of gas about 1/2 mile down the street. Can you give me some money for gas?"

I didn't give her any money, but a funny thing happened... Someone else had the same sad story about a week later! If she'd been carrying a gas can, it would have been much more convincing.

Another car story: Working overnight shift in at a 24 hour copy center in a downtown area. A man came in and told me his son was stranded with a flat tire on the highway. He needed some cash to pay the tow truck driver, who was waiting at the scene. "Please lend me $40! I will be right back to pay you back. Take my vehicle registration as collateral." I was 22. I fell for it, and gave him money out of the register. He never came back, and I had to pay the store back $40.

We have a few busy intersections in our town, where people stand with those cardboard signs. They did a story on the news, and apparently it actually pays off. The guy they interviewed made about $400 a day, standing on the corner. Why go get a job? When it is really cold out, I feel so bad for them. I have handed them food or candy bars before. One lady had a sign that said she needed soap and shampoo.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This problem has haunted me for years. I will never give anyone spare change. Before Mayor Guiliani was elected, my neighborhood resembled Calcutta or Bombay. No one requested. People demanded. They would touch my body and I would scream for the police. My solution was to offer to pay for a meal at a local restaurant. I would pay the owner. Well, the drug crowd was highly insulted.

I volunteered in the Homeless Ministry and did contribute money to a food pantry. The entire situation gave me stomach cramps. I can't help but feel but for the grace of God....and hard work and study.......My dates would typically give money. I was raised in a major urban ghetto. We were told never to give cash. My mother pointed out some people who were termed crippled begging. She then pointed out blind and crippled workers,earning a living.

It just seems with a corporate law practice that there is a lot of stuff to go around in Manhattan. I can't deal with poverty. When people start grabbing me, demanding large sums, bring mattresses, and hook up TV sets to traffic lights, I want some law enforcement. I worry about the children. It is not as though I do nothing. Volunteering does not seem enough.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good Morning Coco!..

It`s was nice of you to feed him and find him a place to stay..

Your a good man!..

.....................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• cofty
    cofty

We don't see beggars in my hometown but when we go to Edinburgh or Newcastle its a common sight. I usually give something while knowing that at least some are in genuine need and others are not.

I was walking past a beggar sitting in a shop doorway in Edinburgh when his mobile phone rang. When he took it out his pocket it was an Apple IPhone.

• humbled
    humbled

Thefunniest experience I ever had was in 1974 when I was a stranded 21 year old girl in Dublin.

Most of the city was broke back then. But being an American (and folks could usually figure that out half ablock away) you merited a fine performance from the tinker children who, with artfully smudged faces and a blanket would beg money.

Now, I'm not saying they were not needy--How could I? Iwas needy and hungry myself, behind on rent...but OMG.

So a tinker girl on the Grafton St. Bridge saw me comming and commenced chanting me up like an auctioneer as i approached, going from a few pence on up. and she made repeated offers to pray for me to the blessed virginfor my generousity.

Unfortunatelt,I paused in front of her, sorry I had no money. Big mistake. She lowered her "bid" --I still pointed out I had nothing at all. She got angry at me and changed her whole lovely patter to a stream of curses:

"Thun God-damn ye, miss. N feck off... ye tight.....et cetera."

Low as I was I had to laugh.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I hate to be cinical, but I have family in law enforcement.

Most of these people are drug addicts and get dropped off on their corner by a car load of people who circulate different street corners in a city. They have "territories" and, at the end of the night, they load back up in their car and go back to their crack house.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

One problem is very obvious. The number of severely mentally ill appears to be increasing among the homeless. They cannot conform their conduct. Occupy Now faced this problem. I don't recall similar situations in the past. They were going to selectively retreat, forming alliances with office workers in nearby buildings. Well, Quakers and college students can tactfully withdraw. There was rampant minor lawlessness occuring. Occupy people became baby sitters. If the police moved in, these people would strike back.

I don't know what happened. Funding must have been cut back. I have strong feelings about mentally ill homeless receiving no services. My trips to ladies rooms had to be curtailed b/c of the dangerously mentally ill. It is not their fault. You don't feel like shopping in a luxury store after you observe these people.

Once I was on the first floor of an ultra luxury store downtown, Barney's. The smelliest, unkempt homeless man entered the store. A manager emerged and ordered him out. I wanted a respite from the homeless but the manager's tone was over the top. As I was thinking what to do, an ordinary looking man started arguing with the manager on behalf of the homeless man. It turns out how he was a member of a very famous family with deep ties in government and corporate America. He called some uncles on behalf of the man. It was good to see a fairy tale prince show up. I was glad that I did not have to think of something to do. After the scene, I left the store.

Well, Outlaw, what do you do? One meal is not going to transform a life. The Occupy people could not nail everything down. It took about ten minutes from the theft to the drug dealers' wallet. They told me about security protocols to ensure that they even received supplies I would bring.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit