...What do you Do,when People Ask You for Spare Change?...

by OUTLAW 91 Replies latest jw experiences

• wasblind
    wasblind

OUTLAW

My sisters question my stability right to this day

after bein' involved wit that cult

I'm ruined

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

One we called the Angry Poet. He would walk up about inches from your face and start yelling random words. After he finished he would hold out his hand for money.

............................."Poetry at GunPoint"

......................................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

It's hard to know what to do, but I think the best thing is to give to local charities that help the homeless/poor. I don't understand a certain group -- young people who show up every summer here in our little town. They have chosen to live as beggars, they're young, strong and healthy. They beg all the time and are absolutely filthy. It's a con, the local government has asked us not to give them money as they cause a lot of trouble and giving them money encourages them to stay.

Years and years ago I lived in San Diego. Late one evening I was waiting for the tram so I could go home. No one around but homeless people and me. A very scary-looking guy came up to me and shoved a young woman at me. She was seriously stoned. He said, "she's hungry. Buy her some dinner." So I did, there was a fast-food place open, we went in and I bought her dinner but she was too stoned to eat. I got on my tram and went on home, wondering about this guy who ordered me to buy her dinner.

Lots of bad experiences with pan-handlers in San Diego. I hate to see them gathering up here in our small town. We have a few genuinely homeless, mostly mentally ill, and the locals make an effort to take care of them. This group that calls themselves the Rainbow People is homeless by choice, and when they aren't panhandling they steal and cause other problems.

I did give a guy some money once outside the grocery store. He played and sang a damn good version of St. James Infirmary, worth a couple of bucks.

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

Tell them you would love to help, but you don't have a spare job. I live in NYC, everybody has a gimmick. I'm thinking of getting one myself. I have been riding the trains for over 40 yrs. For the past 20 years I see these two panhandlers...yes I said 20 yrs. & it's most likely more than that. One of them walks around all twisted up, one time he was begging & this woman said, hey, he lives in my building. Begging is a business.

Legacy

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

.I did give a guy some money once outside the grocery store.

He played and sang a damn good version of St. James Infirmary, worth a couple of bucks.....Hortensia

........................................Busking can be very Cool.....Or Not..

............................................ ..You Pay People Who Have..

.........Played a Beautiful Song..................Spent an Hour Looking Up at Their Ass!..

.................................................. photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I always ask if they're hungry. I'll give them food but never money.

• wasblind
    wasblind

There would be quite a few panhandlers who stood outside of the university campus

my daughter attended. They would prey on students for money from thier financial aid

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

I ride the subway often so I see people who ask for spare change. I only give them money if I feel like it and depending if they look like they really need it. I use to feel bad when I didn't give anything but after sometime I noticed it's usually the same ol'beggars. Like one lady brings holds a card box sign asking for money while holding a child in her arms and pregnant. Most people I see dont give her money, I doubt she's in such a desperate state to be like that from the looks of her. My guess is that it's just a way to get people to give her money.

Oddly enough, there was one guy who asked for 40 cents at the stop I take the subway at. I did give him spare change the first time. A few days later I see him at the stop I get off at and he's asking for the same amount: 40 cents. I saw him do that another day. Another time I was feeling generous enough to give a guy some change. It wasn't a lot and he complains to me as I walk away. I'm just thinking to myself: I was nice enough to stop and give you spare change and you're complaining to me??

• pontoon
    pontoon

As a kid growing up in NYC when the windshield wipers headed towards my dad's car at red lights with their greasy dirty rags my dad would say, "I'll give you a buck if you don't touch it"

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

If they ask for change I say give me a dollar and I'll give you change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit