...What do you Do,when People Ask You for Spare Change?...

by OUTLAW 91 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I'm a credit card, pay balance, earn points/cash person. It is rare for me to have cash. When I go on vacation I make sure I have it for the saxophone players. Maybe they are homeless, jobless, idk, but to hear that music in the city makes my heart happy and is worth my cash.

Locally, I'm quite skeptical, but have brought food to someone before.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Good question. I am faced with this constantly on the subways of NYC. Rarely, do I contribute the panhandlers in the subway. I sometimes do, but I have to be really impressed with the plight of the individual. I have been around long enought to spot the professional panhandlers - and there are many.

As a side note, I was walking to the grocer a few days ago , it was cold and snowy and a homeless man clearly needed a meal and asked for help, but I ignored him. That was one situation where I felt I did not act appropriately. I should have helped the person out.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Our city is increasing more & more every year with beggars & homeless people, they are EVERYWHERE! But I do have a heart for the ones who are extremely dirty & mentally ill. My husband and I often will give out a bottle of water or packaged snacks to people begging on corners if they look like they are really down & out. Our homeless mentally ill population is huge and so sad.

I don't normally ever give out cash, but I did give $10 once to an older man with no legs who wasn't even begging or asking for anything. I saw him all the time taking the bus, and I just wanted to make someone's day-- he was overjoyed with that $10 so I decided I didn't care if he bought liquor with it because it made me feel good.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It feels good to give something, but you are usually just supporting their lifestyle, which involves begging for money so they don't have to do real work. I am for giving and volunteering at a food bank or homeless shelter, rather than handing out money. Many of these people make serious money, it's a job to them, competition is fierce at the better corners. They are not above renting children to appear more needy. San Francisco as a serious problem with aggressive and predatory panhandling, it has cured me of the notion that you are helping anyone by handing out money. If I genuinely felt it was a truly hungry person I might buy them a sandwich, but other than that, no.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`m Reading "Everyones" Posts..

I don`t want to be repeditive in my replies..That would be boring for all of us..LOL!!

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to post..

Thank You!..

............................ photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas

I need to get myself away from this place

I said yep what a concept

I could use a little fuel myself

And we could all use a little change

• not bitter
    not bitter

I nearly always give them a few quid if I have it spare.

And I know that a lot of the time they spend it on alcohol or drugs but then I think to myself, what would I do if I was living on the streets. I'd probably be drinking and taking drugs just to make the days go quicker and to dumb the pain of it all.

Maybe I'm being naive but I figure sometimes they must spend it on food and its only a few quid from my pocket so why not.

• tiki
    tiki

i have never been accosted by a stranger asking for $$$.....but the kids with cans looking for donations for their sports teams, cheerleading or whatever standing in front of stores we always give $$$ to them.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

.......Giving to Bottle Drives is a good way to Support the Community..

................................................ photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The local kids soliciting money annoy me. They don't want spare change but $20. If I know about the group, I give. When I lived in Manhattan, I rarely saw children. They are a treat to see. If the parents have done everything for the drive, they don't get money. I tell them why. They put none of their time in. When I see a bunch of kids washing cars with an adult in the background, my cars gets a wash.

In public spaces, I give money to street musicians depending on my mood and their talent. I must confess that Grand Central gets more money than Penn Station or the bus terminal.

I've been stingy with tips lately. Cash is not easy to carry around. I use a debit or credit card. Lately, I've been counting out pennies, dimes, and quarters for tips. My parents never gave tips. All the years in NY are paying off when I leave town. I just can't not not tip now. Drivers are in shock in some cities b/c I tip. I am resolving to carry around a bunch of dollar bills to pay musicians and help with tips. Perhaps with those devices on Smartphones that allow you to do credit transactions, I won't need the cash for much longer. I can't stand Island drums. They drive me bonkers. I have this fantasy of grabbing their money to make them pay for my headache and bad mood.

Sometimes I tip someone playing poorly if they have enthusiasm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit