Hubby's Exited

by jgnat 120 Replies latest members private

• jgnat
    jgnat

After twelve years, hubby has finally exited the Witnesses. I am cautiously optimistic that this exit will stick. A little while back he took me aside for a serious talk (first serious talk ever, I think) and solemnly told me he's decided to go inactive. I did not express an opinion one way or another, but I advised him that he should not just not do nothing. He should find an activity to fill his days, as he so wisely did after his first divorce. He's taking my advice to heart and signed up for classes this week. I'm building on a positive experience and as an experiential learner, he needs a personal example to latch on to.

What worked?

• Encouraging his natural personality at every turn, reminding him of his history, dreams, hobbies and preferences.
    • A two-year stint in a remote community with limited exposure to the meetings.
    • Proving by word and deed that I was in his corner, even if that meant staying with the Witnesses.
    • Introducing him to stellar "apostates". I am forever grateful to Blondie, her husband Irreverent, Bikerchic and her now passed Onacruse, Simon, Angharad, and IloveTTATT.
    • Befriending many regular people. Most influential were my Wicca neighbours.
    • Giving him the space to make up his own mind.
  • cofty
    cofty

I am delighted for you!

You have handled your situation with tremendous skill and patience.

What was that about being "won without a word.."?

Please anybody who has a partner in the cult, pay attention to how Jgant dealt with it. You are an inspiration.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Wow JGNAT, that is great news! And great advice on what worked.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Excellent, jgnat!

Kudos.

CoCo

• Angharad
    Angharad

Great news Jgnat !!! Very happy for you both

• finally awake
    finally awake

YAY!! I'm very happy for you both

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

Really happy for you!

Kool Jo

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

Wow! 12 years! I have so much respect for you and your devotion to your husband. I can't imagine waiting 12 years– I truly hope this is the beginning of a new and wonderful chapter in your life!

• wasblind
    wasblind

HAPPY NEW YEAR JGNAT !!!!!!!!!!

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Awesome!!!! Good for you jgnat!

Life is Good!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit