Witnesses: Why The 1/19/14 WT Lesson Is Dangerous

by Apognophos 84 Replies latest watchtower bible

• prologos
    prologos

The real danger of course, is not that wt writers are wrong (again), the danger is, that

they require ABSOLUTE CONVICTION from the enforcers, no questions, about right or wrong, wisdom, to be entertained.

Such Convinced attitude led to CONVICTIONS in Nuerenberg.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

I would like to point out to readers here one of the Society's literary tricks. Paragraph 4 of this WT study article describes "one possibility" with regard to the fulfillment of the prophecy of the child to be born in Isaiah 7:14-16. The possibility is that it is the same child as the one in 8:1-4. The child in 8:1-4 was to be Isaiah's child.

Scholars hold to several possibilities about the connection between 7:14-16 and 8:1-4. Some do indeed feel that they are referring to the same child. Some hold that the one in 7:14-16 would be from a woman in Ahaz's harem (although, not Hezekiah as he was already alive). The account in 7:14-16 is just too ambiguous to definitely identify with the child in 8:1-4. So, paragraph 4 in the WT article is correct to say "one possibility . . ."

But note the question for paragraph 4:

• "2-4. Explain how Isaiah 7:14, 16 was fulfilled (a) in the eighth century B.C.E. (b) in the first century C.E."

The paragraph hedges it's bets, and rightly so, but the audience is asked to make a specific identification. I've noticed this method over the years and want to point it out for reference.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Excellent and bumping!

You made me actually want to read the account in the Bible. I will be doing so asap. The WT study was an abomination, no one was answering. Long pauses filled with silence, the conductor pleading for participation, a verbatim comment is finally dragged from the audience.

The most hilarious/disgusting comment was the PRIMARY application of Micah 5 being about JW [secret weapon] Elders thousands of years later, and NOT the Messiah's reign. Can they get any dumber? By secret weapon, do they mean hiding key evidence from Police during investigations? Elders, watch out. When the Devils evil news team starts to report on child abuse cover-ups, you may be asked to perform your "secret weapon" duties. As Apognophos said, YOU will be responsible for what you do in protecting the WTBTS. I would give that some serious thought.

DD

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Apognophos:

Hopefully you agree that the statement in paragraph 10 of the article was still disingenuous, though, about how Hezekiah would never 'enlist the help of a pagan nation'.

See my comments here, especially the part regarding paragraph 10.

DATA:

The most hilarious/disgusting comment was the PRIMARY application of Micah 5 being about JW [secret weapon] Elders thousands of years later, and NOT the Messiah's reign.

I posted some comments from the McCominsky commentary on Micah that take a broader view of the application here. Of course, from the WT's viewpoint Messiah only began his reign as recently as 1914. So their 1914 doctrine skews their viewpoint greatly.

For lurkers, regarding when Jesus began his rule, compare here (various verses concerning when Jesus began his rule), and here (parousia), and here (re "The Kingdom of God/Heaven has drawn near"), and here (re Ps 2:7).

Take Care

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Apog: Please, for your own sake, and for any family that you have, keep your wits about you and do not be scared by a frightening doomsday message into following men blindly.

---

No, Apog, the WT Org. has a wonderful record of excellent advice for JWs:

"Yes, the end of this system is so very near! Is that not reason to increase our activity?...Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end." (Kingdom Ministry, May 1974, p. 3)

compare to this statement to one made 58 years earlier:

1916: "We see no reason for doubting, therefore, that the Times of the Gentiles ended in October, 1914; and that a few more years will witness their utter collapse and the full establishment of God's kingdom in the hands of Messiah." (Watchtower Reprints, VI, Sept 1, 1916, p. 5950)

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Marked. Thanks!

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

goes to show you, we need to read the bible first!!! i am calling the wt conductor today, will let you know how it goes.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

marked

• franticfran
    franticfran

An excellent well researched summary of the article,but sadly I dont think many even understand what has been written,they will just accept "the societys" viewpoint. Classic case of blind obedience. Been there,done that, so glad were out.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

This is such an excellent discussion!! Usually I am bored stiff by stuff like this, but you have presented this in such an interesting way!! I love how the points are broken down and compared, and unlike the dry WT, are actually compelling to read!! Thank you so much. You have made this absolutely fascinating!! This is what a real bible study should be -- comparing notes and commentaries, noting discrepancies, discussing alternate views, sharing additional information -- awesome!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit