2014 DC: Fewer, but larger venues in the U.S.

by doinmypart 53 Replies latest jw friends

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

dying to see how UNCOMFORTABLE the MODERN-DAY R&F will be during these outdoor arena Conventions. Excited for now...miserable during the DC, or IC. Guess some of that Vacation spending money will be going to the WTBTS this summer. :(

I see this as the ORG "testing" the faith and loyalty of its members. This may go on for the next 4yrs or so. I'll be out by then thank GOD!

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

So the JWs will already know how to get to their designated meeting area after armegeddon.

They realized that controling groups of 10,000 will be much more difficult so they have to move to larger venues.

Make sure you know where it is because after armegeddon they will filter out the weak people that slipped through the cracks by saying "meet at last years convfention center". If you don't know where it is then you will be SOL when it comes to the spirtual food they will be passing out.

Or it could be money

On a side note why isn't the US listed in this site

http://www.jw.org/apps/E_FRNsPnPBrt

Kind of curious if they are doing the same thing in my neck of the woods.

• Londo111
    Londo111

No problem. Us "weak" ones will find out last year's location by looking at JWN.

• AnneB
    AnneB

...doubling up on families in hotel rooms...

What??? They don't even want people getting too close out in service and now they want publishers to share a bedroom???

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Back in 1961, when "Headquarter's" brought out the green NWT Bible, we in Southern California had to drive all day to get to San Francisco. The convention was held outside at Candle Stick Park , an outdoor stadium, right next to the ocean. When the wind came up off of the water, we all froze. When there was no wind, we baked under the sun. Everyone was "encouraged to" (told) to book our stay through the Society's Rooming Dept. and stay in worldly people's homes for a "witness". It was more like, it is San Francisco summertime, rooms are already booked for tourists, so where do we stick the JW's? Where our family was allotted was a clean, friendly, gracious immigrant's, old tiny house. There was 5 of them and 5 of us. They had a twin bed for my sister and me. She got the mattress. I got the box spring. The toilet was in a little closet all by it's self. The bathtub room was down the hall. To take a bath and wash my hair, I got up extra early to get the tub. As I was swishing my hair underwater like a mermaid with my eyes closed, I sit up to see, 3 little Chinese children, staring at me. We "experienced" staying at a private residence only that once.

In reference to the OP, I think they are, like doinmypart says, trying to build excitement. The sensationalism of seeing and hearing thousands of WT drones clapclapclapclapclapclap ... clapping , invigorates (or wakes up) large crowds.

If your usual DC is only 20,000, visually to "now" see 60,000 is like, WOW! We are growing! lol

If at your usual DC 10 (ten) people get baptized, now you "see" 30 (thirty) get dunked, in sheeples mind it could be "Wow! This is evidence Jah's Organization is growing. Like... Wow". lol

Large CON-vention are the same, smoke and mirrors.

Oh Sheeples out there. Please wake up.

LoisLane

• XstuckX
    XstuckX

My wife and I had already decided we weren't going to the DC this year. But when changed it from the normal venue which is 2 hours away to one that is 5 hours away it just confirmed our decision. I was listening by phone when they made the announcement. First.....oooohs and aaaahs. Then....applause. I was thinking....wtf are you people applauding?

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

The international conventions are being held in the U.S. his year. Quite a few of them. The idea is to have a GB member and one of the "given ones" (still can't believe they're using that term.... it's so Mosaic Law) give talks and tie in other convention sites. It's all about timing the tie-ins, so to get the largest distribution of U.S. DC attenders to here the GB member speak, it makes sense to have larger venues elsewhere. To me, it seems like more GB worship. I honestly think this is what this is all about.

Funny, one of my relatives has a picture of one of the GB members she met on her refrigerator, but no picture of Jesus anywhere in the house. If that isn't idolatry, I don't know what is.

I keep thinking of what Christ said: "Come to me you who are toiling and loaded down and I will refresh you... For my yoke is kindly and my load is light" and, regarding the Pharisees: "They bind up heavy loads and put them upon the shoulders of men, but they themselves are not willing to budge them with their finger."

• skin
    skin

Maybe my memory is playing tricks, but wasn't one of the principle reasons that the weekly group Bible study was cancelled after 60 years, to save the brothers fuel costs and travelling?

Yes, that was one of the reasons that was used when the home bible study arrangement was changed, then when the new bible study carrangement came into effect, we had many letters read to us telling us that petrol prices were not the reason for the change.

By the way, here in New Zealand, we normally travel 500kms to the DC but this year we are travelling closer to 1000kms, not very impressed! and this time the DC going to be a video feed from Aus.

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah I forgot about the GB tie-ins.

So it's really more about #4 from my list than #1.

Another opportunity for JW-style idolatry.

• Simon
    Simon

Given that there is probably as much work to organise a mid-sized venue as a large one, it would seem to save money doing a larger one based on the assumption that the same number of people will still attend (it costs them more).

All about profit rather than what's convenient and cost effective for their members - but they don't mind putting a burder on people, heck, it makes them feel 'special'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit