2014 DC: Fewer, but larger venues in the U.S.

by doinmypart 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I just looked on the JW.org site for info on the U.K DC's, and it looks as though they are doing the same here, bigger venues and longer journeys.

Before I really woke up and left, 6 months or so, I blew out the D.C that was only an easy 30 minute drive away with easy parking, simply because I didn't want to sit through it.

Most JW's really don't want to sit through it, add the horrendous journeys and the extra costs and I think there will be many just turning up on the Sunday, and a good few just not going at all.

• blondie
    blondie

Nothing at Green Bay like in years past

One scheduled in Milwaukee (I can see many people in WI going here regardless of being sent to DeKalb)

One scheduled in Bloomington, IL

The rest in Dekalb, IL

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

"Hmm...." says the Outsider. Other than the financial windfalls, can another angle be considered?

It's known that being assigned to a congregation makes it easier for others to track activity (or inactivity) and follow-up on attendance because the group is so small.

Conversely, wouldn't scrambling assemblies and conventions (small to large then back to small with a rearrangement of congregations expected to attend in an area) contribute to an inability for the average "Joe" to discern the REAL participation rate... especially since "Joe" doesn't have access to the raw numbers?

Filling a large venue creates the illusion of MANY adherents ("Oh, NeverKnew, there were THOUSANDS there - from different countries even!") and then breaking it back down to smaller venues creates the illusion of "Oh, NeverKnew, there are SO many now in the Truth that we had to be broken down into smaller groups. The larger venue wouldn't have held all of us."

Is there ANY chance that rearranging venues is intentionally making it impossible for the adherent to start asking him/herself, "hey...where'd everybody go?"

Even better,could this be the "life-saving direction that we receive from Jehovah's organization" that "may not appear practical" but that "all... must be ready to obey" even at the expense of "secular education, material things, or human institutions" (go ahead and lose your job and home while bowing to our demands).

Could next week's words be leveraged, not as a prelude to one Kool-Aid event, but as a thought-stopper for WHATEVER a person's issue with the organization might be?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

................................................................With Bigger WBT$ Venues..

...........................................The WBT$ can bring in the WBT$ GB Rock Star Popes..

.............................................................JW`s would go Crazy for That..

......................................From WBT$ Heaquarters!!.........................................I Rock the House,Baby!..Because..

...................It`s WBT$ GB Rock Star Pope "Anthony Morris!!!!...................................I`m Cool like That!!..

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls5iyvYsZ51r1xzumo1_500.gif..http://jwsurvey.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/anthony-morris-gilead-gradu.jpg

........................................................................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

The last few District Conventions I attended in the "Dome" near here, were in comparrison to the old days, like depressing Ghost Towns. Whole sections of empty seats and others that were sparsley populated. In corridors that were once hard to get through, there was only a smattering of people. The lower floor was filled with old folks whom I remembered from back when they were young. There were so many disabled ones there as well. Sunday was somewhat better.

I'm guessing they're wanting to really "pack em' in" to not only save money but also to give the impression that the orgainzation is made up of a mighty throng rather than a dwindling and aging populace. It would be so much more encouraging to those who are still going these days.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Some pictures of future convention in 2020, as the the WT Corporation finishes paying off all their childmolestation lawsuits and new recruits become a rarity and born-ins leave to get a higher education:

• Listener
    Listener

Joe134cd

I could never understand why they down sized the conventions in the first place. I remember back in the day when there were only 3 conventions in this country. Then it went to 5 smaller ones. I remember been told the reason they downsized was problems with apostates Coming onto the grounds. I also remember attending a convention around this time when this was the case. So It sort of made sense at the time. Looking at it from the GB/R&F perspective I can see a number of problems.

It is very irresponsible of the organization to be holding large assemblies given that they believe the world is getting worse everyday.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Also because fewer conventions means fewer plane fares for Bethel speakers.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

@ EmptyInside--- Thank you.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

The GB has found that generally it's members can only take up to 1 week vacation per year. If they take that vacation, they might have fun and want to have more vacations, meaning getting a better education.

They thought the solution was to make the district conventions a much longer drive in boring cities so that it's members will forget having time/money for a vacation and make the DC their vacation. This way instead of an annual vacation they can attend the district convention. Instead of weekend recreation, they can go out in field service. Instead of relaxation in the evenings after work, they can study and prepare for meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit