2014 DC: Fewer, but larger venues in the U.S.

by doinmypart 53 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Phizzy:

I know what you mean about many who will just go for Sunday. The stupid religion does not understand that working people are dead tired on weekends and maybe can only make Sunday.

I remember how tired I was back in the day and I also resented the fact that if somebody went to the whole convention, their whole weekend was shot! I am talking about lack of sleep because you have to get up early, not doing the usual personal errands, shopping and appointments that normal people have to do and not to mention the physical exhaustion of just going to an assembly.

The religion can keep their bigger venues and longer journies. I am sure more people than ever will be so tired they will just blow it off. There may be those that are starting to resent the religion and will not do the sacrifices of time and travel that they once did.

• sd-7
    sd-7

I was looking on jw.org to confirm there are fewer venues, and by Jove, you're right! There is literally only one U.S. convention in my area this year. My wife made it sound like there was some kind of special international thing going on, and she may well be correct as she'd know better than I would, but maybe this is just the only game in town. If this is a permanent deal, I'll never have to stay in a hotel room hours from home again. That could be good.

On the other hand, I will miss the stores down there, especially that seafood place. Man, their fried shrimp were GOOD! And they gave you a ton of cocktail sauce to go with it, too! Not like the stores around here where you can barely get ketchup. Hmm. Well, maybe I can still take the time off like I usually do, but just make it my own personal vacation at long last.

The bad thing is that it's a stadium. They're going to fry out there. No more air conditioning. I wouldn't go to that venue at gunpoint. I don't even think the kids should go. Well, apart from the obvious reasons they shouldn't go.

Well, maybe I can find a good seafood joint up here, visit Dave & Buster's, and play through Star Wars Trilogy Arcade at least twice. Yes. I think I've got myself a plan...

--sd-7

• sprintcmp
    sprintcmp

Either the GB is not communicating this very well or the local elders are making a mess of the announcements. My family thinks that they are going to an International Convention also, complete with brothers from other countries. There convention is in New Orleans, about 3.5 hours away when they use to travel on 1/2 hour to 1 hour away. I asked if there were other cities and they were not aware of any. Had to look myself today to find that there are indeed more locations.

They are terrified of going to the big city. I got invited to help them navigate. Though I would love a family visit, can't find the upside of travelling 800 miles and sitting thru 3 days pretending I'm listening and being asked, "How did you ENJOY the convention?"

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

My MIL is assigned to New Orleans, but she doesn't want to travel there by herself so she will be attending with my wife. Most of the conventions in the U.S. will be International conventions and most of the congregations will be assigned to an international, but there are a few non-International conventions that will be tied-in to the Internationals during certain talks by GB and other heavies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit