2014 DC: Fewer, but larger venues in the U.S.

by doinmypart 53 Replies latest jw friends

• likeabird
    likeabird

As has been mentioned in threads in the past, WT wants everyone to stay at the hotels where they have "negotiated" the price.

The only time I did that was for an international convention. Money was very scarce, so booked and paid for the cheapest on the list. Turns out on check-in the hotel's standard rates were clearly visible for all to see. They were at least 30% cheaper than what we had paid via WT.

No prizes guessing where that extra money went. Now multiply that by the number of attendants and the number of assemblies. WT knows what side their bread is buttered on.

• sir82
    sir82

I keep reading stories like the one above, but in every occasion I've gone to a DC, the Society's rates were always lower than even what you can get via Hotwire.

Must be a regional thing.

• blondie
    blondie

I can remember traveling to few conventions and farther away, larger groups of people. I traveled 5 or more hours to Winnipeg, Kansas City, Chicago, Detroit, etc. Then it changed to cut down time, expense, etc. I went to 8 day down to 3 day conventions. Maybe they lack even fewer truly capable men.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

What venue is the one in Detroit at? My mom will be attending this. She's very excited.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Regarding the hotel rates, I booked one (during the meeting) last night using their web based list and it was much cheaper ($50 at least) from the last time I stayed in the same hotel for work about 4 months ago. Granted, they only had a block of maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the rooms but the rates are similar to what I would pay if I went to a business convention.

The WTS does lots of bad things. I'm sure they get some free rooms for their reps but that's common for anyone putting on a convention. I have never seen any evidence that they are somehow inflating the rates and getting a kickback. That just doesn't make any sense.

As a side note, this whole situation really sucks and most folks in the hall I attend are less than thrilled about the venue and the timing.

• jgnat
    jgnat

O...M...G I just found out that the District Convention is to be held in Red Deer this year! I've got to put this in context for you. Alberta is a big province with a few major centers. Think Texas on steroids with rolling plains, forested foothills, northern forests, and mountains to our west. We count travel time in hours rather than miles. The two major centres are Calgary and Edmonton, with a five hour drive between them (500 kms, or 310 miles). Roughly in the middle we have Red Deer, population 90,000. Both Calgary and Edmonton have populations in the excess of a million each.

Not only is EVERYONE going to travel farther for the DC this year, but the fine citizens of Edmonton and Calgary are being asked to travel to and from the convention daily, to allow for those travelling from farther out of town to obtain accommodation. That is a four hour round trip for Edmontonians.

I can't imagine what sort of hardship this is going to be. I predict gaggles of grumbling biddies in the wings.

Last year, by the way, Calgary was cancelled because of the flooding, and Edmonton enjoyed higher attendance numbers the following weekend.

As an aside, a collapsed roof on the Red Deer Westerner grounds. The convention will be held at the Red Deer Enmax Centrium.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Here in Atlanta they are going to use the GA Dome, it seats about 50,000. Proabably have only one convetion for all english speaking congs in the state.

I thinking that every convetion is going to get a GB member to vsit this year, or a video hookup at the least, haveing fewer conventions would make that possible.

• jgnat
    jgnat

maninthemiddle, I betcha that's a big part why the change this year. I can't tell you how inconvenient this is for Albertans. I imagine a bureaucrat with a map in front of him, placing push-pins. With no understanding of local conditions.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey! BTTT. I'm looking for more sympathy.

• nugget
    nugget

This year if you don't want to go, don't go. 12 hr round trip to sit in a stadium for 3 days is madness. I suspect that there will be quite a few who don't make it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit