2014 DC: Fewer, but larger venues in the U.S.

by doinmypart 53 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

I stand corrected. The Calgary convention is ongoing. It is only Edmontonians who must suffer! Oh, the shame!

• losingit
    losingit

Jgnat-- I guess this is the year hubby decides to go to a DC in on a warm island or sunny place somewhere. Forget Red Deer. Convince him to make a vacation out of it!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ooh, we are seriously looking at Nanaimo. Any apostates there?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

That's good, time to make plans to demostrate with signs to a larger crowd.

"Several Overlapping Generations: 1914-2014 Maybe The New World Is Invisible Too"

• sd-7
    sd-7

Seems my wife's congo has been invited to an international convention. It's going to be at a big stadium. Plus side? I no longer need to worry about paying for a hotel room, it's very close, indeed. Somebody's getting a Nintendo 2DS this year! Awww yeah!

--sd-7

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

@QuestioningEverything: The convention in Detroit , Michigan,will be held had Ford's Field.

• paladin
    paladin

Con-vention! lol Lois. A new word. After having local DC's held at kingdom halls, we have been told we are back in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Hotel rates are $89.00 to $119.00 per day. Add gasoline, meals, tips and taxes and our vacation comes to about $500.00. A vacation sitting in a stadium for three boring days.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I could never understand why they down sized the conventions in the first place. I remember back in the day when there were only 3 conventions in this country. Then it went to 5 smaller ones. I remember been told the reason they downsized was problems with apostates Coming onto the grounds. I also remember attending a convention around this time when this was the case. So It sort of made sense at the time. Looking at it from the GB/R&F perspective I can see a number of problems.

*although it going to save the Org money. I would say the true cost to the R&F will be much more e.g transport costs, extra day off work to travel etc.

*It will be much harder to control and know what is going on with a bigger group than a smaller one e.g infiltration by apostates, unruly individuals.

*the minute the moteleir knows theres a major event and accommodation is in short supply you watch the prices shoot up.

so lovingly the GB has saved them selves a few bucks but probably cost the R&F well in excess of the savings.

• carla
    carla

blah! just overheard my jw discussing how wonderful, cool, etc... it will be that the dc has moved to town near us. wretch! I never overheard a jw discussion of his before and it truly makes me sick. Ick, makes me want to take a shower! sorry, I never heard him speak in full on jw mode to another jw before, we keep all things jw stictly out of sight and hearing usually (same for any apostate goings on). shudder, gives me the willies.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"I remember been told the reason they downsized was problems with apostates Coming onto the grounds. I also remember attending a convention around this time when this was the case."

They certainly become a much bigger target not just for apostates, but for any other fundy group.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit