2014 DC: Fewer, but larger venues in the U.S.

by doinmypart 53 Replies latest jw friends

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

In the U.S. there are fewer venues this year, but they will be held in larger facilities. As long as I can remember my family travelled no more than 2 hours to attend and in the last few years the DC was local (within a few minutes travel). This year my family is driving 6 hours to a major U.S. city. The convention is not an international or foreign language. The stadium they will be attending can hold 50,000+ (again this is not an international site).

Why is the WTS doing this? Is it to create some kind of fervor among the R&F? Re-create feelings of times past when conventions were larger and longer? Do you think the R&F will be happy or upset? I know several that have lost jobs and will have a difficult time funding this trip.

I hate that I have to pay for travel to a distant city and probably end up going with them. I really hate this.

• sir82
    sir82

Why is the WTS doing this?

The WTS does things for any combination of these reasons:

1) It saves money / generates more revenue

2) It reduces legal liability

3) It increases the prestige of the organization in the eyes of "the world"

4) It increases their power over the R&F JWs

I'd wager the fewer venues are due to a combination of 1 & 4.

It's probably cheaper overall to rent one facility that holds 50,000 than 5 facilities with a capacity of 10,000.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They can't do anything if people simply don't go at all. If you wish to follow it, I am sure someone will go and record the session and post it online (warning: Kingdumb maladies will be part of these recordings). At least with those, you can stop at any point for a puke break.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Maybe my memory is playing tricks, but wasn't one of the principle reasons that the weekly group Bible study was cancelled after 60 years, to save the brothers fuel costs and travelling?

My own reasoning why they did it, was to isolate the brothers from small discussion groups as the Internet rapidly provided death-dealing information on the Org. (see Sept. 2007 Kingdom Ministry, Question Box)

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I know the venue that I normally attend rents the facility for next to nothing. The facility is owned by the local city and the department of tourism (or economic development can't remember which) kicks in on the bill due to pulling in people to the area over 4 weeks.

Not to say this is the case everywhere (although in the US I think its the case more often than not).

I've heard that folks in my area are having to head out about 2.5 hours to an outdoor venue instead of staying locally in an air conditioned venue. I see a major problem with rooming. I'll bet they will have people driving over an hour from their hotel.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

WT has probably heard enough reports and seen pictures of rather small venues that are only half filled. You can't whip up the excitement of the sheeple that way.

• Londo111
    Londo111

marked

• piztjw
    piztjw

Why is the WTS doing this?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Remember the old, "At considerable expense the "slave" has lovingly made arrangements for......."? Blah blah blah.

Well IMO that is the answer. The R&F will always cough up the money to put these on, any excess will go into the coffers at NY and by reducing the number of locations that increases the money in those coffers immediately, without waiting for some poor elderly or inform widow to throw in her two coins. The eldurr who read the location last night pontificated about how we all could show our "love" by car-pooling and perhaps doubling up on families in hotel rooms. In my town the distance to the convention city doubled each way to over six hours travel, hotel rooms are up to 50 miles one way from the convention site, and cost over $100.00 per night. I am sure it will be pretty easy to pay for the added fuel and food costs on a motel maid or window washer income.

Maybe a large number will show "love" by not taking up seats, and just stay home or go on vacation?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

The location I usually attended, Resch Center @ Green Bay WI has a seating capacity of 10,500 with 6,000-7,000 attending ... this year it will be at Miller Park in Milwaukee WI which has a seating capacity of 42,200.

• bruh2012
    bruh2012

I know in Detroit its being held as "The International Convention" so all those in Ohio has to go there this year.

International "flavor" is big these days!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit