Do You Own A Firearm? Would You??

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• david_10
    david_10

I have no use for guns, I don't own a gun, and I don't want one. I'm 61 years old and I've gotten by just fine, believe it or not. In fact, I would say that it's much better if I DON'T own a gun. Being a rather high-strung individual, somewhat on the temperamental side, there have been a number of times in my life that, had I owned a gun, I would definitely have used it. Let me make it very clear what I mean: There have been times that I have been so angry and enraged that I would've gone to get my gun. I would, if necessary, have driven across town, very carefully, making sure that I didn't break any laws and risk getting pulled over. I would've gotten my gun out of the closet, top shelf. I would've carefully cleaned it and inspected it and loaded it. I would've driven back across town, very carefully, making sure I didn't break any laws and risk getting pulled over, and I would've confronted my antagonist.

And I would've shot the son of a bitch.

It's just much better if I don't own a gun.

It is true that if I wanted someone dead bad enough, I could use a lead pipe or something. But that's real hard to do. To do that, you've got to really work at it; you've got to get all out of breath; you've got to get blood all over you; you've got to feel the crunch and squish of bone and flesh; you got to be up close and personal and see the life ebbing out of someone. It's real nasty. A gun makes it so much easier.

It just much better if I don't own a gun. Even for self-defense, it's better if I use other options.

It occurs to me that most people probably shouldn't own a gun. It has been my observation that most people are too temperamental or too careless or too accident prone or too mentally unbalanced or too anti-social or too _______________________(fill in the blank) to take on the huge responsibility of gun ownership. Most people probably shouldn't have guns laying around.

Nathan Natas made an interesting post that I largely agree with, in that the police exist mainly to invesitigate crime, not prevent it. Even though their motto is "Protect and Serve", it doesn't usually work out that way. However, when he referred to those of us who chose to exercise our constitutional right NOT to own a gun as "victims and slaves", I would disagree. In fact, it seems to me that those who live continually in fear and have to have their gun close at all times are the real victims and slaves.

Does that answer your question, Minimus?

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I would probably get an alternative means of protection.

Even if a firearm may help in protection against a criminal, you are much much much more likely to die or commit suicide by owning a firearm. Also accidents/etc w/ family members.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

One of my interests is small bore shooting, so yes, I own several rifles. Additionally, in our district we grow a lot of berry crops. Consequently, one of my weapons was acquired specifically for pest control uses.

As for owning a firearm for personal protection, though:

- if you were abiding strictly to the Firearms Act in this state, I doubt if any home invader would have the patience to wait around while you :

(i) unlocked the gun cabinet

(ii) removed the rifle from its compartment

(iii) unlocked the (second) ammunition compartment

(iv) fitted the bolt back into your rifle

(v) loaded the weapon

(vi) and only then were finally ready to fire the thing!

Bill.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I recently moved to a notorious city to find affordable housing. Manhattan and northern Brooklyn are out of my price range. This is hard after more than 30 years living in the East Village. I asked the police in person, off the record, to get more candid advice. Not one suggested I become Annie Oakley. Even in the notorious city and decades long residence in Manhattan, I never needed a weapon. All the police suggested I get a small handheld noisemaker. I asked about mace or some criminal spray. My concern was whether I would not panic in my moment of need. What if the wind blows in a certain direction and I become the victim of my pepper spray. The police said noise, very loud noise was the answer.

My rent is so much lower that I added taxis at night. The police said to never walk around after dark. Rather than worry about all this, which is much scarier than when I was a resident of the first gentrified builidng in the East Village, I decided to break my lease and leave this city. The constant tension is too much for me. I thought I could handle it b/c my apartment is lovely. Despite my best efforts, I become so angry that I worry about carrying a firearm. Bernie Goetz was no hero but I always identified with him.

I interviewed inmates in NYC jails concerning allegations of correctional officer brutality. It opened my eyes. No society can allow certain highly violent and impulsive criminals to destroy the fabric of society. It scares me. I started out as super liberal, nurture is important. After so many open confessions that I did not want to hear b/c it was not important to my job, I changed my mind. We have too many inmates. The racial profile cannot be ignored. I also worked for the federal prosecutor in NY for a while.

If protection from criminals is not a function of the NYPD, why do we pay taxes? There is a huge difference beween const'l and statutory duties. Hey, no one expected the fatalities at the WTC on September 11th. Most were caused by faulty or nonexistent communications between the NYPD and the NYFD. When everyone was evacuating the buildings, the police ran up. I have no duty to arm myself and shoot every living thing. Besides, I don't know if I could shoot under pressure. As I wrote earlier, it was utter shock to read that the WT allowed firearms. A brother was disfellowshiped for catching his wife in the act and killing the man. I wonder if this depended on who the overseer was back then. (Oh, how I want to lose the lingo.). Overseer? I never was a field or house slave in the old South. Overseer is even worse than elder.

• Decided
    Decided

Down south almost everyone has a gun. I had an uncle-in-law who had a 45 pistol that he had gotten from a German when fightimg in ww2. He was a drunk that got mean with his wife and once tried to shoot her with it. For some reason it didn't fire that time. Later my parents got him to go to the KH and he quit getting drunk and did well for several years. One day he was eating with his wife and just fell over dead on the table. So many memories I have from those days.

Ken P.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

If i was a regular policeman in the U.K i would not own a firearm...( but then most policemen in the U.K never arrest a person with a firearm)

• mariu
    mariu

I had an uncle-in-law who had a 45 pistol that he had gotten from a German when fightimg in ww2. He was a drunk that got mean with his wife and once tried to shoot her with it. For some reason it didn't fire that time.

He probably tried to fire .45 ACP from a 9 mm pistol.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

At one time, I owned a firearm. I had a bad experience and it aided in my becoming a JW, so "No, I won't be owning one again."

It's an essential part in my book: http://www.amazon.com/Alan-Miller/e/B007X8SFR2/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

"Fade From the Truth is a personal story about how a failed suicide attempt led to the belief that God spared the author's life because He had bigger plans for Alan Miller, especially when Alan's mother sends Jehovah's Witnesses back into his life."

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

You know, cause I like this subject so much and I also have ok photography skills, I'm going to post some more photos of firearms that I currently own. Enjoy!

- Wing Commander

Colt 1911 Gold Cup Mark IV National Match, .45 ACP (Totally custom piece)

Colt Gold Cup National Match, Custom

Beretta 92FS Target, 9mm (Totally custom)

Beretta 92FS Target, 9mm

Custom Ruger Mark III Target, .22LR (Custom)

Ruger Mark III Target, .22LR

Ruger TALO USA Race Rifle

Ruger TALO USA Race Rifle, .22LR

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Hard to get here in Poland (unless you are a criminal). You have to join some kind of hunting club and get some training. I will probably just end up with some archery equipment and hopefully a crossbow. But if possible, I would get something. If I was back in the states, absolutely. They should make basic training mandatory, even if you decide not to own a gun. Perhaps a new class in HS? Or even younger. Teach responsibility and safety.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit