Do You Own A Firearm? Would You??

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• SAHS
    SAHS

I live in Canada, and the federal laws here are ridiculously in favor of the criminal who is breaking into your home and wants to kill you. Here you have to take an official exam just to obtain your firearms license. (It’s called a “PAL,” which means “Purchase and Acquisition License.”) Then you have to store your firearm unloaded and locked/disabled in a securely-locked compartment with the ammunition not within easy access or also stored in a securely-locked compartment. In Canada, firearms can only be used for hunting or target practice, or kept as a collection, but cannot be used for self-defense purposes.

Also, believe it or not, here in Canada any mace products are totally illegal! The only thing you can buy or sell here is a canine repellent spray, which is only about half the strength of mace, or bear spray, which is even stronger than mace but is only for use in bear territory. But any product labeled with the word “mace” is a no-no. And even canine repellent spray cannot be used for self-defense on a person. So if a woman is being threatened and she uses canine spray to defend herself (especially if she is carrying it in an urban setting), she can go to jail! Ridiculous!

I used to own a Browning 12-gauge pump-action shotgun, a S&W .357 magnum revolver with a 2 1/2 inch barrel, a CZ 9 mm semi-auto pistol, a Remington Springfield .30-06 bolt-action rifle, a Marlin .22 long rifle, and an old smoothbore 44-40 rifle a few years ago. At the time my elder father also owned a semi-auto .22 Ruger pistol, an antique .38 revolver, and an over-under 12-gauge shotgun, which he got from his brother-in-law. We only had them for trap shooting (moving clay disks) and target practice. Sort of a little father-son activity.

I currently don’t own any firearms whatsoever. (I sold them to gun stores to slightly improve my financial situation.) However, I am now in the process of obtaining an updated firearms permit because I would like to purchase a good high-powered hunting rifle for target practice at a club. (I’m just waiting for my PAL permit card to arrive.) I really want to be able to show it off to my brother-in-law. He and my sister also are JWs. My brother-in-law has some target and hunting rifles, as well as a 9 mm handgun. They live out in the country, and he does some hunting and target practice. I actually want to get an extremely powerful rifle like a Mark V or Mark XII Weatherby Magnum .460 caliber, or even a .50 BMG just like Jamie and Adam were using in the show “Myth Busters.” I’m one of those fellows who just has to have a “bigger one” than the other guy.

• designs
    designs

Owned several at one time and got rid of them all and will never own a gun again.

• TD
    TD

Lots of them, all currently inaccessible. Maybe one of these days I'll get the strong room opened again

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Owned several at one time and got rid of them all and will never own a gun again.

Praise Jebus.

• minimus
    minimus

Guns aren't the problem. Crazy people are.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

And the challenge is to keep guns out of the hands of crazies!

Bill

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

If you want to drop by for a visit, you might wanna' call first:

Remington 870

Remington 870 Tactical 12 guage

Sig Sauer P229

Sig Sauer P229 .40 S&W

• minimus
    minimus

What do those cost?

• trillaz
    trillaz

david_10 , thanks for your candor and not owning a gun!

I feel the same way about myself. If I had a gun for every time I wanted to confiront someone, there would be lots of wounded or dead people, or I would be wounded, dead or in prison and would not have cared about those consequences. So can I control this now under the guise of protection? What if I really want to shoot someone just to see what happens? I'd probalby increase my liklihood if I got CCW.I hear of many excuses I can use to shoot someone and there was an old saying "Dead man tell no tales"

However, How many who are qualified don't consider so much and still get guns? I'm betting many.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

My crazy first husband had many guns. I tolerated it because we lived in the country on over 50 acres and had the same issues as Label Licker mentioned. I insisted the guns be unloaded and locked. The ammo was locked in a separate room. When i remarried we lived in town and saw no need for firearms UNTIL first hubby started stalking, making threatening calls, then vandelizing our property. We did everything we could to protect ourselves including an alarm system and a large watch dog. These measures did not deter my ex. His attacks escalated to death threats. When he poisioned the dog we bought guns and made sure my ex knew it. Fortunately, the ex died soon after. Once we knew we were rid of him we sold the guns. BTW, mine was the cutest little S&W airweight 38.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit